BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Rich,

Just caught this report. Went to your image site and really enjoyed the images and words. Some wide open empty spaces out west isn't there. Your radar detector comments remind me of a reason I don't bring mine very often... the feeling any chance for a warning would be lessened if a LEO sees the detector. Congrats on the SS1000. The KRS just delivers doesn't it.

Steve

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve,

Sorry I missed last Friday's Lunch Ride. This work thing sure gets in the way sometimes!

When I use the detector, it is kept in the tankbag and the officers haven't been aware that I have it. The problem is that Instant-On and Vascar eliminate the advantage of the radar detector, so it's not nearly as useful as it seems. Without the radar detector, I seem to be more particular in where I decide to pick up the pace.

Rich

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
Great pics...

rhhall said:
Coming home from the office, I decided to do an SS1k: story posted in Trip Reports.
Not to start a thread theft, but can you give any tips on camera settings for the moving shots? I used to take beautiful 35mm shots, but I can't seem to get the digital pics as good as I'd like. Yours look great!

Thanks for sharing your trip.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Tim,

Thanks for the kind words. I also enjoy looking at your photos and reports as they are the only way I've been able to see pictures of the southeast.

I'm using a Canon S500 digital camera. Its an older model, but good enough for me, and I don't feel too bad abusing it. I usually just use the normal automatic settings, which is ok, but does create a handful of blurry shots per ride. In cases where I know the lighting is marginal, I flip it to Manual mode where I've fixed the speed at ISO400. That usually will increase the shutter speed enough to stop the blurry shots.

However, in bright light, the shutter isn't fast enough and I'll get overexposed shots in Manual mode. So I have to guess whether to use the normal mode (really bright sunlight) or switch to Manual mode (cloud covered). It's not always easy when your crusing at 75+ MPH!

If it's cloud covered, shooting forward and not to the sides helps reduce blurring as well.

Now to get that 20D that I've been lusting for.

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Holy nut: f1.4, 1/5000 shutter speed! You could've taken that picture at speed and still freeze the action enough to see individual rocks!

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CABNFVR said:
Update - I'd say it's not my camera. :) I took this shot back in June. Looks like I need to change the settings and try some moving shots again. [/color][/u]
Tim, Can you read your exif information? You might compare the exif information from the "good" pictures to the "bad" pictures to see what setting or settings seem to make the most difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts