BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just experienced a complete front brake failure.

When I grabbed the front brake there was No resistance at all, and it did not brake at all.

The rear brake worked though.

NO warning lights as when the abs unit fails. And when the abs unit fails, you can still brake. This was NOT the case here.

I would suspect a leak, but a little while after the front brake worked flawlessly again, and then it fails again, and I don't really believe in an intermittent leak.

It is not because the brake is sprongy or weak.

It is either working normally or completely absent.

Anyone got a clue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, linked brakes.

And a abs unit where the brushes had stucked, but I have fixed that. Not the same symptoms at all, and no error light on the dashboard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I went out for a short trio, about an hour, an no problem at all.

After a refueling however, I got a red failure light on the display. I assumed it was the ABS, and when I disassembled it, one of the springs that pushes the brushes were not "straight".

I could screw it out of its "path", when I tried to put it in again, the spring jumped away, and I'm still looking for it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
So, since this is intermittent and complete (front) brake failure maybe you should, you know, have a professional look at it before it, you know, kills you....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously the rides were not carefree pleasure cruises, but very careful rides to determine if I could reproduce the fault.

After prying the 'rails' the brushes siden in a bit more open, yet again, there has been no issues whatsoever.

So apparently it was the well known problem with the brushes in the abs pump, even if the initial symptoms were different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts