BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the document and CIP 7.0 is officially released. I'll post more details later.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
More info on CIP 7.0

K-Series (K4x) motorcycles:

General modifications, applicable to all models in this Series:

Improved "gear recognition" function:
  • clears the "intermittent errors in the gear indicator" or "incorrect gear readings in the instrument cluster" symptoms
  • through the reduction of the adaptation times, which improves the recognition function
Improved damping during load change and metering (even below 2,500 rpm):
  • generally improved ridability; as a side effect, it should be noted that the damping affect after a load change is indicated briefly by a low resonant tone in the silencer.
  • engine picks up again more smoothly and comfortably after coasting with the throttle valve closed(fuel delivery cut off); as a secondary effect, a brief, muted, churning noise maybe audible in the silencer.
IMPORTANT: this update changes the ridability of the vehicle noticeably
and should only be programmed with the agreement of BMW Motorrad
Technical Support and of the customer. Reprogramming back to the previous software version is not possible!

Improved actuation of the “throttle valve stop”:
  • clears the "loss in power output" and/or the “throttle valve not reaching its fully open position”. This was due to the “throttle valve stop” not returning to its correct “zero” position when the ignition is switched “off”. The new software corrects this symptom through modification of the initialization of the “throttle valve stop”.
ATTENTION: replacing the stepper motor in the event of the above symptoms does not provide a solution.

Improved cold starts at temperatures below 50°F / 10°C :
  • clears the "starting problem at low ambient temperatures" and/or "engine is starved until it cuts out" symptoms.
Power optimization at high altitude:
  • clears the "lack of power at high altitude" symptom.
Additional, model-related functions:

K 1200 GT (K44) - ridability modification:
  • noticeably improved ride at slow speeds and metering below 2,500 RPM.
  • clearly improved damping during load change.
  • generally improved ridability.
IMPORTANT: this update changes the ridability of the vehicle noticeably
and should only be programmed with the agreement of BMW Motorrad
Technical Support and of the customer. A reprogramming back to the previous software version is not possible!

R-Series (K2x) motorcycles:

The following changes were made due to the right side cylinder head temperature sensor being eliminated on motorcycles produced after factory shut down, ‘07 model year:
  • Suppression of faultcode memory entry for temperature sensor, cylinder 1 (on the right when viewed in the direction of travel)
  • the new program and data statuses can be setup on vehicles equipped with both sensors.
IMPORTANT:The program affects the BMS-K diagnostics, i.e. after this software has been programmed, any failure of the temperature sensor, cylinder 1 (right side as sitting on motorcycle) is no longer displayed via a fault code memory entry, even when the sensor is removed. This is due to the fact, the BMS K no longer looks for this input data.

Improved "gear recognition" function:
  • clears the "intermittent errors in the gear indicator" or "incorrect gear readings in the instrument cluster" symptoms.
  • considerably fewer incorrect readings in the instrument cluster through reduction of the adaptation times, which improves the recognition function.
Additional, model-related functions: R 1200 S (K29) - ridability modification:
  • improved, more responsive throttle response.
  • stops the engine "choking" when the throttle valve is opened abruptly.
  • generally improved ridability.
IMPORTANT: this update changes the ridability of the vehicle noticeably and should onlybe programmed with the agreement of BMW Motorrad Technical Supportand of the customer. Reprogramming back to the previous software version is not possible!

Applies to R-Series and K-Series motorcycles:

General modifications, applies to all models:

Modification to the “switch-off” behavior of the on-board socket and accessories socket:
  • rectifies the following issues:
    • on-board socket and/or navigator switch off intermittently.
    • on-board socket and navigator switch off briefly when ignition is switched “On".
Modification to the horn “switch-off” behavior:
  • rectifies the following issue:
    • horn fails when activated continuously or when pressed briefly several times.
Additional, model-related functions:

Modification to fuel gauge on the following models:

- R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure (without board computer),
- R 1200 ST
- K 1200 S
- K 1200 R

rectifies the following issue:
  • fuel gauge does not display all bars when the tank is full. (only applies to motorcycles equipped with segmented instrument cluster)
Modification to the range remaining display on the following model:

Applies to R and K series motorcycles supplied with dot matrix instrument
clusters:

Improved contrast adjustment:

Corrects the following issue:
  • symbols and display are poorly visible in the instrument cluster
  • Possible to write the mileage reading when replacing the instrument cluster with a new unit.
Individualization of the instrument cluster:
R-series and K series motorcycles:
  • Tire pressure display unit
NOTE: Only possible in conjunction with option 530, "tire-pressure monitoring system"

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the little bees at BMW have been pretty busy on this one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yep! They musta heard that I was close to getting an RC51 to replace the S.

Damm, if they get this thing right, I'm gonna be sooo happy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Damm, if they get this thing right, I'm gonna be sooo happy!
I'm with you on that one. :yeah:

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Damn, I can't wait until next Tuesday :eek:

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've talked with a few dealers today about how they are going to handle this. Most are saying that if you show up for the upgrade by itself, you will end up paying for the labor (plan on at least an hour). If you get this done at a major service, like a 600 mile, 6K interval, or 12K interval, you will probably get it done at no charge.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Oooh, I just caught the part about fixing the problem with the accessory/GPS connector being shut off when the key is turned on. I was just getting ready to hardwire my GPS and crap for the CCR. Now I won't need to. :D

Thanks Jefe

·
Registered
96 Posts
eljeffe said:
I've talked with a few dealers today about how they are going to handle this. Most are saying that if you show up for the upgrade by itself, you will end up paying for the labor (plan on at least an hour). If you get this done at a major service, like a 600 mile, 6K interval, or 12K interval, you will probably get it done at no charge.
Exactly what I heard from both of my dealers here in ATL. I called them and they said they are charging 1 hour labor to do it stand-alone.

In my case I am at 2500 and the 6K is at least close to christmas at the rate I am going, so I guess I will wait till than I hate to give them money twice knowing that I can get it done during the 6K

·
Registered
279 Posts
For those of us with services done recently ........
Where is this change, or "CIP 7.0" designation reflected on the documentation
located. Even earlier versions.

In otherwords, how do you tell what version you have currrently from the GT-1 documentation ??? (I have a 3 page printout).

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have 6.0 in your GT. 7.0 has just come out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think it's all wrong for BMW to charge for this - the bike runs like shit with their last attempt.

Keep it up BMW, and you'll lose some good customers!

Of course, they ain't listening, so I'm wasting my typing skills.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That would be NUTS!

ATLDB said:
Exactly what I heard from both of my dealers here in ATL. I called them and they said they are charging 1 hour labor to do it stand-alone.

In my case I am at 2500 and the 6K is at least close to christmas at the rate I am going, so I guess I will wait till than I hate to give them money twice knowing that I can get it done during the 6K
If I had a bike that is still in warranty and they tell me that the "fix" will solve the fueling issues AND fix the accessory plug outlet shut-off AND they want to charge me for it...they and BMWNA would be getting an earfull. Any dealer in their right mind would not attempt to charge for this fix. No one would want the damn thing unless there were a problem with their bikes.

If anybody gets charged for this fix...GIVE 'EM HELL. You should NOT be charged!

Doug

·
Registered
251 Posts
eljeffe said:
Quite frankly? This is crap. It's taken 3 versions of the software for BMW to get this series of bike sorted, and the dealers want to charge the customer to fix the thing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Cip 7.00

May seem a bit silly but shouldn't BMW have had all this fixed and sorted before the bike was released to the public?I do not see simular complaints on the Suzuki/Honda sites?
Must be me
cheers Andrew

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Oooh!!! My fuel gauge will be fixed too - I was complaining about that earlier this week to my dealelr... I just hope that they won't charge me as in my eye, the fuel gauge is faulty as it is... and if they're going to charge me for that, I'd better be a bit "firm" :)

Thanks for the heads up on this software release! :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I look forward to see if this really solve all the issues mentioned. I really hope it does. I my self however will not get the upgrade as I am happy with my06 K12S as it is.

I noticed this "IMPORTANT" remark in the original post and I will not take the chance. At least not before I hear some strong positive reviews.

"IMPORTANT: this update changes the ridability of the vehicle noticeably and should onlybe programmed with the agreement of BMW Motorrad Technical Supportand of the customer. Reprogramming back to the previous software version is not possible"

I don't know what version I have - but it must be 6.0 since my bikes build date is 02/2006 ??

Good luck to you with the upgrade !

/Michael

·
Registered
108 Posts
software update

The last time I tok my bike in to the dealer, I "automatically" received the 6.0 update without having to ask for it. From a conversation I had with my dealer today, he made it sound as though we have to request the update, and BMW has to approve my eligibility to receive the 7.0 update. Is that what you heard as well? Or did I misunderstand? I am currently very happy with the way my 05 KS rides fully stock, so I will leave well enough alone anyway...just wondering though in case somewhere down the road my bike develops some of the symptoms described here. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts