1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
279 Posts
For those of us with services done recently ........
Where is this change, or "CIP 7.0" designation reflected on the documentation
located. Even earlier versions.

In otherwords, how do you tell what version you have currrently from the GT-1 documentation ??? (I have a 3 page printout).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Jeff,
Thanks for the info.

When will this arrive at the dealers for installation? Do you have a service number in case my dealer gives the "I don't know nothing about it " excuse?

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dealer had it installed when I arrived for tires today. I didn't go for the upgrade (even though it was offered) because I have a long trip planned next week and I would rather stick with what I know than going with something that I don't.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have my 6K service this coming week, along with new tires. Hhmmn... Do I get the update or don't I? :confused: That IS the question...

Like you Jeff, I think my GT runs great and I know what I got. But sometimes, you never know what you've been missing until you get it! Take the GPS for example...need I say more?

I wish you would've announced this after CCR! :D

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We should ask Jef at Blue Moon to see if their service manager might be able to come up to CCR during the K1200GT tech session to tell us more about the process.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I rode a new GT loaner while my GT was given the 6k maintenance. The loaner had a much smoother throttle response below 2,000 RPM. However, the acceleration of the loaner did not seem as good. I am interested to hear if anyone with the update feels there was a change in acceleration.

I asked the service manager if loaner had the updated softward. He did not know.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Version 7 is wonderful

I had the version 7.0 software update done on Saturday.
Bike was in to replace the center stand (broken foot lever) and I had been asking about the update for the last 2 months.

At first, they said they had not received the update, then realized they had it.
It took about 45 minutes to download the software to their system.
When they first connected my bike and did the initial scan, the reponse was "No updates necessary".
I asked if they could override this and they did.
The load took about 30 minutes.

The results are dramatic and excellent.
The closed throttle damping is enhanced. The return to idle is just slightly buffered.
The result is a smooth return to idle without the "on-off" feel of the engine previously.
I rode through 2 school zones (15 mph here in AZ) this morning in 1st gear with no jerking or problems modulating the throttle.
I also ran through the low speed u-turns in our underground parking garage without feathering the clutch.
I could not have accom;ished either of these feats with the previous software.
The bike seems to respond as before, no performance issues from off-idle to rev-limiter.
The 7.0 update is well worth the time spent. By the way, no charge to me.

·
Registered
68 Posts
am i to correctly assume that my '07... which will be here soon, will already have the 7.0 installed?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
AZDrifterus said:
The results are dramatic and excellent.
The closed throttle damping is enhanced. The return to idle is just slightly buffered.
The result is a smooth return to idle without the "on-off" feel of the engine previously.
I rode through 2 school zones (15 mph here in AZ) this morning in 1st gear with no jerking or problems modulating the throttle.
I also ran through the low speed u-turns in our underground parking garage without feathering the clutch.
I could not have accom;ished either of these feats with the previous software.
The bike seems to respond as before, no performance issues from off-idle to rev-limiter.
The 7.0 update is well worth the time spent. By the way, no charge to me.
That settles that! This week I'm getting the update BEFORE CCR! Woohoo!

·
Registered
497 Posts
As soon as I saw this posted I called my dealer asking if I could get the upgrade done next week when I am in for some farkeling. The service manager was incredulous. He was angry that I knew about the upgrade before him. He had no idea if and when he was going to get it. He went on to tell me that he was sure that it would do no good because he had heard from BMW that the low speed fueling problems were not fixable and that they were the nature of the beast. I persisted and he acquiesced telling me that it would cost me an hour of shop time. I told him that it should be warranty work since the bike is nearly inoperable below 15 mph and that even BMW stated that this was the fix for that problem. Now he wanted to know how I knew that, and I told him that I had read the upgrade details on the internet to which he exclaimed that whoever the owner of the website was "was going to get their ass sued off for posting confidential BMW information." and wanted to know what site it was that I read it on. I told him that it was at st1300.com.

Eventually, it will all get done. This guy is just a grouser that knows more than everyone else and hates it when you have an idea or thought that he didn't come up with first. I deal with it because he is a gifted mechanic and does great work that is quick, reliable and cost friendly. Plus, the front half of the dealership is second to none and it is a family outfit that is grinding it out against the local big cycle shops.

Brian

·
Registered
68 Posts
grifscoots said:
What I want to know is will the ASC be a download with a switch added?
i would doubt that.....
sounds like more HARDWARE would be needed to have a viable ASC system
maybe i'm wrong... of course

·
Registered
68 Posts
grifscoots said:
From what I've been reading it's basically run from the ECU using inputs from the ABS sensor that detects rear wheel slippage. An on/off switch completes the package. Unless the ECU is specific, I don't see why not? But, in real world, prolly not.
well, i sure hope you are right

·
Registered
279 Posts
Gee's whiz Joe.
Don't be offended if I call you my little guinea pig!

Let me know how it goes.
I'm a little weak on pulling the trrigger, as things "seem" ok, now.
But I might not know what I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've been called worse things than a Guinea Pig! :p

That would totally rock if just a simple download would give us '06ers the ASC option. Then again...I'm not sure I want ASC yet. I'll have to pontificate some more about this whole thing.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ASC is a byproduct of the Continental-Teves ABS brake system. ASC on the '06 is NOT retrofittable.

·
Registered
68 Posts
eljeffe said:
ASC is a byproduct of the Continental-Teves ABS brake system. ASC on the '06 is NOT retrofittable.
so, it CAN be added to my '07?
since it'll be an option later.... do you really think i could just pay some money and have them ENABLE it on my bike?

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
bnblazer said:
As soon as I saw this posted I called my dealer asking if I could get the upgrade done next week when I am in for some farkeling. The service manager was incredulous. He was angry that I knew about the upgrade before him. He had no idea if and when he was going to get it. He went on to tell me that he was sure that it would do no good because he had heard from BMW that the low speed fueling problems were not fixable and that they were the nature of the beast. I persisted and he acquiesced telling me that it would cost me an hour of shop time. I told him that it should be warranty work since the bike is nearly inoperable below 15 mph and that even BMW stated that this was the fix for that problem. Now he wanted to know how I knew that, and I told him that I had read the upgrade details on the internet to which he exclaimed that whoever the owner of the website was "was going to get their ass sued off for posting confidential BMW information." and wanted to know what site it was that I read it on. I told him that it was at st1300.com.

Eventually, it will all get done. This guy is just a grouser that knows more than everyone else and hates it when you have an idea or thought that he didn't come up with first. I deal with it because he is a gifted mechanic and does great work that is quick, reliable and cost friendly. Plus, the front half of the dealership is second to none and it is a family outfit that is grinding it out against the local big cycle shops.
Ya know, it's almost sadly funny in a way. However, I know some dealer service managers and mechanics who have the same temperament (i.e. "the customer is never right" types). If I point out they did something blatantly wrong and screwed up and "maybe this would fix it," instead of apologizing, they want to argue about it or deny the problem exists - or ever did.

Meanwhile, I write out a $1000 check verifying they are indeed wrong. :mad:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts