BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to replace the tires on my 06 GT and am considering the Metzeler Roadtec Z6's. Is anybody out there using them? If so please give me some feedback.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Try a search here on roadtec and you'll pull up a few relevant posts.

My '07 GT came from the factory with Z6 tires. They handled fine wet or dry, highway or twisties. But the rear was completely down to the cords at 4,700 miles, while the front still looks new. The rear also has a solid tread band in the middle of the tire, meaning there are no tread wear indicators to check.

I check both tires at every fuel stop, looking for wear, nails, or anything else unusual. At one gas stop they were fine. At the next, less than 200 miles later, the rear was just starting to break through to the cords in one spot, and very thin in another.

Fortunately, I was about 30 miles from Ozzie's BMW in Chico, CA. Unfortunately, it was a Monday and they were closed. I figured I could stay the night and hit them first thing in the morning. But I called anyway, and to my surprise Ozzie answered the phone. I rode in, he called in one of his mechanics, and they had me back on the road in about 2 hours. All they had was another Z6 rear tire, which should last me just about 2 1/2 weeks based on my current riding plans.

Just long enough to get a set of Avon Storm-ST tires ordered. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
A different data point - I have 7700 miles on a Z6 rear ... still going strong and 10700 on the original front ... which is just about gone. It is true that the rear will look good and then show cords in a short period of time, but that can be anticipated. Its not always true that they are a short mileage tire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 9400 miles on my bike and just yesterday replaced the rear Z6 with another. I had at least another 1000 miles till tread wear indicator would be flush, but am conservative about tire changes. Front has roughly 1500 miles left by tire man estimate. Love the Z6's- highly recommend them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine worked reasonably well. However, I did not like how the front "squared off". I replaced them with a set of Avon 55/56.

Brian

·
Registered
838 Posts
bnblazer said:
Mine worked reasonably well. However, I did not like how the front "squared off". I replaced them with a set of Avon 55/56.

Brian
Brian,

Any word on the 55/56 regarding a special designation for the KGT? Like the "UU" designation on the Bridgestone and "C" for front and "K" for rear on the Metzlers.

And how are you liking them?

·
Registered
497 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
Brian,

Any word on the 55/56 regarding a special designation for the KGT? Like the "UU" designation on the Bridgestone and "C" for front and "K" for rear on the Metzlers.

And how are you liking them?
Sheesh, I 'm sorry I dropped the ball on getting back to you on this. I just went outside and checked. Mine have a load rating of B. I went on the Avon site and could not find a way to conform this rating though.

I still really enjoy them. I got to ride in some big rain the other day and they did great!

I did get a bit of a wobble on a tar snake, but that is a bit expected.

Brian

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks Brian, no sweat.

You're liking them fine? How's the wear, you're getting a few miles on them?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Meese said:
My '07 GT came from the factory with Z6 tires. They handled fine wet or dry, highway or twisties. But the rear was completely down to the cords at 4,700 miles, while the front still looks new. The rear also has a solid tread band in the middle of the tire, meaning there are no tread wear indicators to check.
I had Z6's on my SV1000 and totally agree with Meese, rear wore down quick and the only clue I had that tyre was wearing out was when I could see the banding.

·
Registered
497 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
Thanks Brian, no sweat.

You're liking them fine? How's the wear, you're getting a few miles on them?
Yes, I like them a lot. I have about 1k on them now. They are wearing very nicely, grip well, and are quiet.

Brian

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
I am on the second set of MeZ6 and like them. Replaced the original set at around 14000 km before long trip. But 200 after the change had strange "fish tail" movement of the bike at speed above 160 km/h riding with side cases. Was too much air in the front tyre but still the strange behaviour was not gone completely. The bike was checked and nothing wrong found... amazing that after another 3000 km the bike returns to usual fantastic riding and it happened in the wet(in real rain). But I believe that is not right. Could it be something special about that very set of tyres or wear?

·
Registered
838 Posts
easyman05 said:
I am on the second set of MeZ6 and like them. Replaced the original set at around 14000 km before long trip. But 200 after the change had strange "fish tail" movement of the bike at speed above 160 km/h riding with side cases. Was too much air in the front tyre but still the strange behaviour was not gone completely. The bike was checked and nothing wrong found... amazing that after another 3000 km the bike returns to usual fantastic riding and it happened in the wet(in real rain). But I believe that is not right. Could it be something special about that very set of tyres or wear?
ONCE, only once I noticed exactly the same thing on my "new" Z6. Never happened again. I only got 12K km out of my rear Z6. I'm switching to the Avon 55/56 for this go.

Look forward to your ride report. How did the wife like the ST?

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
SKIZIKS said:
... How did the wife like the ST?
It's awesome indeed. the only pity was the lack of Wilbers shock which had been lost somewhere in post/customs jungle. Hope I will find it though. But it takes time and the season here, you know, is like in Canada - too short :-((

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
My Z6 rear slips on tar snakes. :( The BT020's on my LT never did, though the ME880's would.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tire wear

I have 10,400 miles on my Z6's, from the factory. I would opine I still have 2 K miles left in them. And..................

There ARE tead wear indicators on the Z6 rears. Find the letters TWI raised in the rubber near the outside of the tread area. Follow that sipe to the center and there will be a cut with two legs. Look closely and in the cut nearest the center you will find the most important indicator, it being a barely perceptible raised "hump" showing minimum thickness. There are two more indicators further from center but you are not too likely to wear the tire down to their level on the street.

Rusty

1 - 17 of 17 Posts