BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Aressers,
Just a note to say I put a set of Continental Road Attacks on my 2002 RS last October and have roughly 3,000 miles on them throuigh wet and dry. These tires are nice! They have more grip than I have nerve, and I've been told I have some nerve. Mostly by women, which I can't understand because thay never saw me ride. Anyway, I'll keep you all posted as I get more time on them. If your were looking to try a set, you won't be dissappointed, my opinion only. I took the plunge and found it to be quite refreshing. Have a great Ride!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Agree on Conti RA's

I agree, I've got RA's with almost 4K on them on the GT. They stick as well as I need in the corners, and wear well especially given I'm a big guy. I would buy them again. Haven't yet used the Avons or Metzlers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ditto

Me three. I put Conti Road Attacks 6000 miles ago. They still have plenty of tread. According to Conti they have 12% more tread. Of course, I keep the proper recommended pressure.

The OEM tires were Bridgestones BT020, 5500 miles. The second set were Michelin Pilot Roads, 7000 miles. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My friend put Contis on his K1200RS too and he said it was like having a new bike. I don't know how much miles he got out of them, but he loved them... and then traded the bike in for an R1200RT...

My girlfriend put Conti Sport Attacks on her GSX-R600 and she loves them; See her short writeup on my site for more. :)

Looks like my next set on the K1200R will be some Conti Sport Attacks... :ricky

PS, Kubuntu > SuSE ;) :p :D

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I did some research a few months ago and everything seem to come up good. I still have to wear out a pair of Bridgestones, but after that I'm goin to give the Conti's a try. Dealers seem to be discounting to get sales, and I've noticed some new deals on Bridgestones as well, which is good for us.

Don't get confused by Conti's 12% tread claim like I did. It's on the contact width, NOT on tread depth.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Air Pressure

When I had my KLT and switched to the Metzler M880's, the first pair did not get good mileage. I called my tire salesman, at that time it was Discount Motorcycle Tire, and he said to run my tire pressures to the "Max P.S.I.-Cold" marked on the sidewall. Keeping a careful eye on this, my next set lasted 3,000 more miles from previous set. To this day I run 2 lbs. under sidewall max.-cold and get great tire life. I don't know, the Mfg. specs just seem too low to me. They may be covering their butts from a legal standpoint, and premature tire wear from low P.S.I. will let them sell new tires. I always get an excess of 10,000 miles from a set. I had one set of ME880's for my KLT last 13,000 miles. I did not baby my KLT in the mountains, my footpegs and side stand could tell you too. Any feedback on this??

·
Registered
222 Posts
I installed a new set of Conti R/A's last Saturday. Haven't scuffed them up yet, but I'm looking forward to how they handle compared to the OEM Metzler Z-4's. By the way, I purchased my Conti's off E-Bay for $205, delivered. I believe the E-Bay vendor is Tires4Fun.com out of Paintsville, Ky. Front tire was manufactured 5 months ago. Rear tire was manufactured a little over a year ago. I received my tires 4 days after placing the order. No problems.

Oh yeah, quick question.....Does the Conti R/A's have a "B" version like the Metzler Z6?...or is that just a Metzler thing?

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
264 Posts
I need a new front and I'm going to order a Road Attack and change the rear to RA when it is time too. --Jerry

·
Registered
486 Posts
OkeefenokeeJoe said:
I purchased my Conti's off E-Bay for $205, delivered. OkeefenokeeJoe
Great price but it won't save me money. Why? Because the dealer knows that internet prices are low and he charges much higher installation fees, $60.00 per tire if NOT purchased from him, $25 if purchased from him. I get my tires and have them mounted by an independent motorcycle shop for $320.00 total. Unfortunately he won't mount tires not purchased from him. If I had my own tire changing equipment and a place to put it, I would be able to pay for the equipment in 18 months and then save more as the years go by.But right now that ain't going to happen.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I put a set of RA on the "K" last fall and could not be any happier. I have had the mez, pilot roads and pilot sport and these bad boys put all three to shame.

Great turn in/out and for my style of riding good stick as well. Purchased from SWmoto for $200 I believe it was.

Last time I had a set on Conti was on my 1978 Yamaha 650 Special (in 1978)...and I got upwards of 15K on them while riding in Florida.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mudbug said:
Great price but it won't save me money.
Bummer. sounds like there aren't many motorcycle shops in your area. I just bought my own tire change rig but before that I was getting them mounted at an independent shop that charged $18 each and didn't care where you bought them. Great guys that would chat with you while they worked instead of banishing you to a waiting room. I'd look around for other motorcycle shops or go to the ride planning area and find other K-bike owners in your area and see if someone has room for a tire changer if you buy it and the two of you share it. You could also look for an R-bike owner in your area at www.bmwst.com. BTW, I just ordered a front from the same ebay guys for $90 delivered. Great prices. Their ebay ID of choice now is accessorysurplus.

Good luck, Jerry

·
Registered
486 Posts
There are several MC shops and they have the same tire changing policy. I might try San Antonio, Rhine West. I heard they install for a fixed low price regardless if you buy from them or not. It is 85 miles away and I would have to carry the tires on the bike to ge them there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Went through the OEM Bridgestones quick. Always felt nervous. Terrible on roads that have been scraped down.
Got Conti R/A's about 4000 miles ago. Looks like at least 4000 miles left. My 04 K-RS felt like a new bike. Great confidence. Great control. Great in the corners. Very stable on the slab.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TheJoker said:
My friend put Contis on his K1200RS too and he said it was like having a new bike. I don't know how much miles he got out of them, but he loved them... and then traded the bike in for an R1200RT...

My girlfriend put Conti Sport Attacks on her GSX-R600 and she loves them; See her short writeup on my site for more. :)

Looks like my next set on the K1200R will be some Conti Sport Attacks... :ricky

PS, Kubuntu > SuSE ;) :p :D
Thanks for the review. Can anyone comment on these tires for those of us who do too much highway and rain mileage? I am needing to replace the stock Pilot Roads on my GT. I bought the bike in Aug, moving off a K11LT.

I'll admit it, I'm more touring than sport. Much of my 20k a year ends up on long roads and plenty of bad weather. I got 9K from this set, which was an eye opener moving from the metz 880's on my K75 and LT (15-18k). The dealer is pushing the Z6, but no one seems to want to talk about riding style and habits.

Gail

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love the z6

I'm on my 5th set of Z6 and absolutely love them. I am pretty rough on tires and I get about 5,000 miles on a set.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
SheRidesABeemer said:
I'll admit it, I'm more touring than sport. Much of my 20k a year ends up on long roads and plenty of bad weather. I got 9K from this set, which was an eye opener moving from the metz 880's on my K75 and LT (15-18k). The dealer is pushing the Z6, but no one seems to want to talk about riding style and habits.

Gail
With rare occurrances, people seldom get more that 10k on the Z6's. For me, the rears wear out faster than the front, but the front probably has at most 1k left, so I change them in pairs anyway. I'm sure the trade-off is cornering over distance, and I'm not aware of any one that's put something like the ME880 on the rear of a RS or GT. LT? Maybe...so it might be do-able, just watch your cornering when it's wet (which I'll guess you do anyways).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mudbug said:
There are several MC shops and they have the same tire changing policy. I might try San Antonio, Rhine West. I heard they install for a fixed low price regardless if you buy from them or not. It is 85 miles away and I would have to carry the tires on the bike to ge them there.
Sounds like they have an agreement which is technically illegal. but you'll never bust them unless an independent opens up and wants to start his own policies and they start stiff arming him. Good luck, Jerry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.