BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Continental Road Attack tires? According to the Continental website, BMW has specified them as OEM tires for the new R1200RT which uses the same size as the K1200GT.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
road attacks

In my quest for a longer lasting tire I have tried them so far they were the best for my GT see other posting tire life for spirited riders. Dkeven

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope so . . .

I got 5,500 miles on the original Bridgestone BT020.
I got 8,500 miles from the Michelin Pilot Roads.

I hope the ContiRoadAttack's handle well and last 10,000. Continental claim that these tires have 12% more tread. 12% more than ??? is what intend to find out.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have the C.A's on the "K"

What a great tire! Wet/dry/rain or shine, I have never had a better tire on the "K" yet. Had the MeZ4 Bad, bad , bad....then went to Michelin sports, then roads.

I only have 1000 miles or so on the CA's, but I'm liking what I feel. Hopefully they will wear better than the 5500 I usually see on the rear. We'll see. If I get the milage along with the feel, then this will be a perfect marriage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Conti RoadAttacks

I have a couple of thousand miles on Road Attacks on my 04 K1200GT. I think they are better than the original Bridgestones & the first replacement Meztler Z4s as far as traction goes. Also the bike always used to pull to the right with the other tires and now it doesn't with these RoadAttacks, smooth quiet ride too. They seem like a soft compound tire though, we'll see how they last. 'stones & Meztlers both lasted 8000 miles. $223 delivered to my door from swmototire.com

Ron Tank

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the Conti Road Attacks installed yesterday.
The ride home was amazing. The handling seemed quicker.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
Road Attacks

Fresh non-flattened tires always feel better, bike almost falls into the curves as you are used to pushing it in on the flattened ones. I went from the R.A,s to Avons with the same feeling. I did experience some handlebar flutter when using no hands the last 500 miles or so on the Road Attacks and others have posted about it on the Avons, just tire wear I believe.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Conti's don't do it for me!!

I've tried most in 71,000 miles, I've had a Conti on the front for about 750 miles. Twice in very hard rights the front slid. I'll be going back to Avon.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Done about 6 thou k on the Road Attacks. Thinking of buying another set just in case they stop making them. Got a long way to go before they are worn out and they stick like shit to a blanket. I would buy them again even if I did not have a friend selling them to me wholesale. And yes I have heard BM are fitting them standard

·
Registered
327 Posts
After less than 2,000 miles, with lots of tread left I replaced my front Conti road attack with a Pilot Power. I have to think there was something wrong with the Conti. I had no problems in left hand turns but in right the front slid, the bike never felt planted, and in high speed sweepers I was getting a shimmy. Also the right side of the tire wore almost flat. If you run your hand over the tire the left side in smooth were as the right is rough as if it was dragging. In 72,500 miles I've never had this happen. Today with the Pilot Power up front the thing was back to it's old self, rock solid powering out of 90mph sweepers, and no front tire sliding. The powers also turn in faster and easier. For me for now it will be a PP up front with an Avon in the rear.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After 2000 miles

The Conti Road Attacks are great. The still handle like the first day they were installed. The key for me is to keep they properly inflated. Immediately after installing them, I made sure that I scrubbed them in before going out for a serious ride. Otherwise I would be asking for loose traction . . .

Just yesterday, I rode through the Hill Country on twisty back roads. Speeds of 80+ in the curves were no problem. No slipping. No sliding.

Now if they get decent mileage, I'll get another set when these wear out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Indiana K1200RS

If you buy Conti Road Attacks they must have The letter C after the word Attack these are made special for BMW GTs right now they only come in 180 for rear and 120 for front if you put the wrong fronts on they will ripple on the sides. This is because the side walls are not strong enough for the weight of the bike. I have 6,000 miles on mind the back is a little over half worn out and the front has over half left. I have had no problem with them slipping in a corner. I like them.

When you buy tire for your bike make sure you get the proper load rating for it
Tires for BMW are special the have stronger sidewalls and have heir own part number
K1200GT
120/70ZR17 Bridgestone BT020F-CC 58W =520 lbs front Bridgestone Part # 021718
180/55ZR17 Bridgestone BT020R-CC 73W = 805 lbs rear Bridgestone Part # 021752
These are same size as other BT020 but have CC and different part #

Same with the Conti Attacks if it does not have a C its not for BMW it will be on the sticker and on the tire side wall.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've been looking into tires to replace my Z4's. While the tires have performed flawlessly, the front has worn in a strange manner. It's almost three sided. Anyway I've been reading about different tires and am very interested in the Road Attacks. I found a great review at http://www.canyonchasers.net/ in the reviews section. I am glad to know about the "C" designation also.

W

·
Registered
65 Posts
On my GT I've got about 6K on the Conti Road Attacks, great handling tires. Front looks very good, rear is shot. Flat accross the center and cupped on both sides. I did keep the air pressure up and it is a "C" rated tire. I'm willing to try another set, but would be interested in hearing from others, interested in mileage and wear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
NY1200GT said:
On my GT I've got about 6K on the Conti Road Attacks, great handling tires. Front looks very good, rear is shot. Flat accross the center and cupped on both sides. I did keep the air pressure up and it is a "C" rated tire. I'm willing to try another set, but would be interested in hearing from others, interested in mileage and wear.
My first pair lasted 6,700 miles. Great performance & confidence in twisties, slab, dry, and wet. I run 42 rear, 37.5 front. I'm on my second pair, this time with the "C" rating on the rear. Aside from being more difficult to mount, the "C" tire handles the same. While mileage is about the same as the Michelin Roads I had before, I think the RAs handle and stick much better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do they say "C" on them somewhere?

I bought my Conti Road Attacks a few weeks ago. The outlet I bought them from assured me they were "C" because, "That's what the catalog says they are." (Which I too saw with my own eyes).

Well...they don't have a "C" anywhere on them. I like them! I hope they last. But, in what part of the size designator, or printing on the tire, should I see the "C". :wtf

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
DaveTheAffable said:
I bought my Conti Road Attacks a few weeks ago. The outlet I bought them from assured me they were "C" because, "That's what the catalog says they are." (Which I too saw with my own eyes).

Well...they don't have a "C" anywhere on them. I like them! I hope they last. But, in what part of the size designator, or printing on the tire, should I see the "C". :wtf

Thanks!
The raised lettering on the sidewall of my rear tire reads "Road Attack C"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts