BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1985 K100RT last summer. It is in good condition and runs great. In October I lowsided with the bike and tore up the leftside fairing pretty good. To get the fairing back in shape it will need extensive fiberglass repair and then new paint. I also need to replace the handlebars. I am asking myself, why do this work if I really don't like the fairing to begin with? This bike is just to hot to run in the summer. What I really want is a naked or more standard bike. I have a K12RS w/larger screen for cold weather riding. What would it take to make the K100RT more of a standard, non-faired bike?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've done this a few times. You need to watch ebay to find a used standard headlight and cockpit fairing to keep your costs down. There are three ways to go: C fairing, standard K100, and all black from a K75T. It depends on your preferences and luck finding used parts. I like to use the handlebars from a K75C. They are reasonably sporty, but still have some rise, about half of the RT bars. You will need to change the cables and upper brake line as well. You will need all the radiator covering bodywork for a standard K100, and will probably need to buy it new, since it's hard to find used, or you can leave the radiator bare. Feel free to pm me for specifics if you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts