BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready for a couple of classes on the Utah Miller Motorsport Park. Like all good track facilities, Miller requires the glycol be removed from the cooling system and replaced with a water and water wetter additive mixture.

Has anyone tried to replace the anti-freeze in the K12S cooling system? The local BMW dealership told me it is a 2-hour process and requires a special tool, a special tank, and special a VACUUM setup. I checked the BMW Shop Manual CD, and that looks about right.

Has anybody found anything better than paying a couple of hours labor to your extortionist, er dealership (sorry, Jerry, but your line seems to fit)? Can you say OVER ENGINEERED. Draining it doesn't appear to be a problem. Refilling it is another story.

As much as I love riding this machine, the disappointments are really starting to stack up. Let's see, BMW has essentially ensured I can't work on the electrical or cooling system without putting a small fortune in specialized equipment. Me thinks this is starting to feel like a shakedown.

Any ideas?
 

·
contributor
Joined
·
4,827 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
So I take it you are willing to damage the waterpump on this fine utra hightech piece of equipment for some riding classes? After all that is main function of the coolant is to lubicate the waterpump and shaft seals.
Do you have access to another motorcycle ?
I wonder what a waterpump cost?

This bike is using all the latest f-1 technology thats the reason know one seems to have any equipment. I am still trying to fine a universal cam bus program like we see at the f-1 races but its still not released to the pubic. Snapon does not have it or seem to be preping to supply it . A keypad will be needed to punch in a 8 digit security code just to unlock each perimeter to ajust it from what I have been told.
 

·
contributor
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
Latest F1 technology, yeah right.
IMO, it's a lot of media hype language for naive buyers.

It's a motorbike with a sophisticated engine management system. But nothing F1 about it.

I don't think I can find one thing on this bike that's not on a run of the mill japanese crotch rocket.

Other than the suspension.

Oh, and BMW's unique approach to the problem of a snatchy throttle was rather unique as well. They didn't resort to everyone's dual throttle body setup and used a stepper motor to limit throttle plate opening without you even feeling it on the grip. Pretty cool, I'll admit. And saves weight.

tonysrep said:
So I take it you are willing to damage the waterpump on this fine utra hightech piece of equipment for some riding classes? After all that is main function of the coolant is to lubicate the waterpump and shaft seals.
Do you have access to another motorcycle ?
I wonder what a waterpump cost?

This bike is using all the latest f-1 technology thats the reason know one seems to have any equipment. I am still trying to fine a universal cam bus program like we see at the f-1 races but its still not released to the pubic. Snapon does not have it or seem to be preping to supply it . A keypad will be needed to punch in a 8 digit security code just to unlock each perimeter to ajust it from what I have been told.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
When I was involved with Rotax karts I remember using a high quality coolant concentrate that was not glycol based. Can't remember the product details but karting supply outlets could be useful as an alternative.

The question remains - what does everyone else use for track days and what do the MotoGP bikes run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
JCW said:
Latest F1 technology, yeah right.
IMO, it's a lot of media hype language for naive buyers.

It's a motorbike with a sophisticated engine management system. But nothing F1 about it.

I don't think I can find one thing on this bike that's not on a run of the mill japanese crotch rocket.

Other than the suspension.

Oh, and BMW's unique approach to the problem of a snatchy throttle was rather unique as well. They didn't resort to everyone's dual throttle body setup and used a stepper motor to limit throttle plate opening without you even feeling it on the grip. Pretty cool, I'll admit. And saves weight.
I know I'm wasting my time but where do you think the testing takes place ? There is no R&D anymore. All testing is pretty much done by computer simulation and racing.
As far as the fuel mapping issues I put that stricly in the hands of the programmers. Its not the system .
Its not only BMW Motorrad that has to reflash their computers, look at every major software based system . Just about every car I work on has a sticker under the hood showing the system(one computer or another) has been reflashed. Even my cell phone has been reflashed. I even just reflashed my garmin bmw motorrad nav3 gps to 3.10.
Cam bus systems which will be the standard starting the 2007/2008 model years will allow for ajustment of a particular perimeter without a reflash. And guess where the system came from? Could it be racing?
 

·
contributor
Joined
·
4,827 Posts
tonysrep said:
I know I'm wasting my time but where do you think the testing takes place ?
Why? You don't think I can understand you?

tonysrep said:
Cam bus systems which will be the standard starting the 2007/2008 model years will allow for ajustment of a particular perimeter without a reflash. And guess where the system came from? Could it be racing?
While I agree that the CAN bus system is interesting and complicated, I question where you got the fact that it came from racing...

It was originally developed by Bosch for passenger cars and had it's first applications in mechanical automation in the textile industry.

http://www.canopen.us/history.htm

So, we can more accurately say that the K1200r engine and management has its roots in the sewing machine industry.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top