BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sounds a bit silly I know but the K1300GT riders manual does not give any info on how to check the coolant level. (cant believe BMW dont mention this in the riders manual ! :dunno:

So can any of you knowledgable guys, tell me how to check the coolant level please

I checked the min and max marks this morning on the coolant tank with engine cold, and bike on centre stand but could see no coolant (unless it is clear water )

Rode the bike for an hour and checked again but still cant see any coolant between the min & Max marks, however the temp gauge was below halfway all the time I was riding.

Do I check with engine cold on centre stand or hot on side stand etc etc.

Your help would be appreciated

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
357 Posts
Bike cold, on the center stand, left-side cap, you should see coolant in the white plastic area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers Moymurfs

I obviously need to add some then as I can't see any between the marks,I'm a bit surprised, as BMW have just carried out a major service.

·
Registered
357 Posts
No problem.. If the service you had performed involved either draining the coolant for whatever reason they should have refilled it with the vacuum method. This eliminates air pockets in the system. Usage can work them out to some extent. I have checked mine before and found it needed about a cup on different occasions but everything runs normal and my temp has never gotten 1/2 way up the scale.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
added some coolant, as I couldnt see any between the max and min marks, after about a cupfull the tank overflowed,

you just cant see the coolant level within the tank, how ridiculous is that !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts