BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm changing the coolant for the first time and the system will not hold vacuum. I have an obvious leak from the reservoir cap (the one on the left side of the bike above the shifter). Anybody else have this problem? I suppose I need a new cap. 17k miles. Never had a cooling problem with the bike.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Have you blocked of the overflow drainhose going from expansiontank to underside of bike?
And also the small hose at the radiatorcap should be blocked off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you blocked of the overflow drainhose going from expansiontank to underside of bike?
Yes, I had both of those clamped off. When pulling vacuum, the expansion tank itself should be under vacuum, right? I can hear air slowly being sucked around the cap. Sounds like a whining noise for about 3 seconds and then no vacuum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, now I'm thinking that the hose next to the radiator cap goes into the expansion tank. So obviously the clamp I'm using isn't doing the job. Thanks for the help. I'll report back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
BcartK12s, Mattias_r,

As I am in the process, or was in the process of about to pull my Radiator and Secondary Air System..... My staff dragged me away from a preferred customer, as if they'd seen a ghost.

Boss, we shouldn't Change the Spark Plugs ourselves or Check the Direct Ignition Coils!

When they showed me the page of the service manual that calls out the evacuation of air,(In the cooling system) I was thinking....What???? What am I servicing an Air-conditioning unit with an evacuate pump and Cans of R-32? ....or was that R-34?

Anyway, have either of you performed the dreaded Spark Plug Change and Coil Check, only to find you needed to evacuate the Coolant system, fill and bleed?

We cab Handel the Preliminary Maintenance and the Core Maintenance, just not sure how to address the Evacuation, Fill and Bleed.

If you could share the link, I would prefer to do it in house. Also, the preferred Evacuation apparatus as well.

Very Sincerely,

Brad

·
Registered
286 Posts
You need to drain the coolant at the bottom if the radiator, then remove the radiator to access the coils and spark plugs.

Many say they refill without using vacuum but i would not, the reason is the lean of the engine makes it very likely to get airpockets and thus hotspots that do not gett coolant. This is what bmw engineers say.

I use this and it works great, cheap and easy to use. Just need an air compressor.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Review this link. I just got through doing this in last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mattias is 100% correct re vacuum filling the cooling system. With the correct equipment it is quite simple.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You need to drain the coolant at the bottom if the radiator, then remove the radiator to access the coils and spark plugs.

Many say they refill without using vacuum but i would not, the reason is the lean of the engine makes it very likely to get airpockets and thus hotspots that do not gett coolant. This is what bmw engineers say.

I use this and it works great, cheap and easy to use. Just need an air compressor.

Dear Mattias,

Yes, we have the service manual, and it all seemed very elementary until my staff approached me wide-eyed about the double secret BMW evac machine in the manual.

Folks just can't contemplate having to do that much work to change the plugs and check the coils. They're still being introduced to technology that is not of Asian origin here.

Our Bikes were never sold here in Thailand. As a matter of fact, no Liter bikes were sold here new until about 7 or 8 years ago..... mostly Japanese bikes for racing teams only.

All Big Bikes as they are called here, were imported by there owners, into the country.

The pressure\evacuation air pump looks like it would work well. I'll grab one off the website you recommended and proceed when we receive it.

I agree with the Engineers and others about hot spots, or what I would call as de-cavitation prone areas. Looking at the design of the pump and bypass..... its easy to see where a possible air pocket may become a problem. This tool was required on many cars and trucks that were brought into the USA during the late 70's and early 80's when manufacturers started redesigning engines and incorporating closed loop coolant systems.

Thanks to all (Mattias) in solving this problem with a fairly easy remedy. LH side.jpg RH side.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts