BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

The 98 K12RS maint. manual calls for 60/40 ratio for replacement coolant. Any thoughts to using this ratio or using auto coolant premixed at 50/50. Thanks in advance.

Keith

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
98k12 said:
Greetings,

The 98 K12RS maint. manual calls for 60/40 ratio for replacement coolant. Any thoughts to using this ratio or using auto coolant premixed at 50/50. Thanks in advance.

Keith
Big thing to check with pre-mix is that the anti-freeze has no silicates and that it states on the label that it's safe for aluminum engines(water is distilled).
I don't think the 60/40 or 50/50 ratio is that big of a deal..

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Well somebody said BLUE was the faster color, so I guess it must be!

I'd have no probs with a BMW premix, apart from buying water.

I prefer to buy concentrate, but check on the lables what the auto stores are selling first. There are a couple of tricks they get up to. First there's the methonol (non-Ethylene Glycol) cheap sort - bad news, ethanol evaporates over time and there is no way of checking concentration. Then I look carefully at dilution ratios versus protected temperature. If they want to add more water and change the dilution label that's easy and you might think you are getting a better deal. I also think for such a small amount it's worth using distilled or de-ionised water, but there are so many metals in there a bit of calcium in tap water probably wouldn't make much difference.

When I was desparate after a breakdown at night, I once put beer in a cage motor. That was brown! I suspect body fluids would have worked just as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts