BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got word that Corbin saddles will be available for order in 6-8 weeks. It will be 2 piece like stock and be similar to what is currently available for the RT. Pricing is yet to be definitively determied but is expected to be between $299-499 for the front and $199-399 for the rear pillion. This huge range is because the cost for heat integration has yet to be nailed down. There should be a Smuggler option available soon as well.

I for one would love a Corbin with a Smuggler. I think that would be a great set up.

Brian

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've never purchased a Corbin (but I've inherited one) so I don't have any first-hand experience with Corbin's customer service but I've heard too many horror stories. If you get the right saddle the first time you're lucky. If not, good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While not quite related.. I did find out that Rocky Mayer has a 2006 K/GT. This may mean he might have a clue as to what works on our GTs.

I am really having a hard time with this. I am going to take a long trip (700+ mile weekend) and make the final call. I think the stock seat is going to have to go -- but perhaps after 700 miles I'll change my mind.

I have already put 930+ miles, but not in any one sitting. Just 35 miles at a time...

·
Registered
236 Posts
I recently did 14.5 hrs. and 800 miles in one day with the stock seat. I am determined to break it in. Perhaps not. With 3K on the bike, I going to give it some more time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Breaking in???

BeemerDude said:
I recently did 14.5 hrs. and 800 miles in one day with the stock seat. I am determined to break it in. Perhaps not. With 3K on the bike, I going to give it some more time.
Take heart...I'm nearly at 6000 on my GT and just in the last week the seat seems like it has given up fighting my ass. Even my pillion has said that hers is improving. So...maybe the seat will be a keeper afterall.

Doug

·
Registered
231 Posts
I've had two Rick Mayer's and they rock.

I did a ride-in and waited for them to be done but he's done hundreds of saddles just using photos. The only drawback to doing it that way is that you have to send him your current seatpan and wait for it to come back. But... at least you know that it'll fit your bike and your butt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oregon_Rider said:
I've had two Rick Mayer's and they rock.

I did a ride-in and waited for them to be done but he's done hundreds of saddles just using photos. The only drawback to doing it that way is that you have to send him your current seatpan and wait for it to come back. But... at least you know that it'll fit your bike and your butt.
I live close to Oaji.. so it wouldn't be a big deal to go there and just do it.

I guess if I really didn't like his effort I could still go Russell later.. it is just money right?

:)

-mark=

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JR356 said:
"Corbins coming"

BFD!!

JR356
Maybe. But you have to concede that the Smuggler option is pretty cool.

Brian

·
Registered
231 Posts
MarkMGT said:
I guess if I really didn't like his effort ...
I was unhappy with the saddles for my ZRX and ended up going back (twice) for adjustments.

The second time I got a saddle (for an Sprint ST) I was the first appointment of the day. He did the saddle but didn't apply glue or stitching. I went out for a test ride.

I rode for about an hour (tons of great roads around there but having a GPS was sure handy). I didn't think that anything needed to be adjusted so he finished it off. That saddle was perfect!

·
Registered
145 Posts
MarkMGT...........

Basically that's what I'm doing............two months ago I sent my front seat to R. Mayer and it came back less than satisfactory........he's said he'd get it corrected which I believe and I'll happyily let him do.... he did a good job on my R1150RT seat.

But,
Two weeks ago I ordered another stock GT front seat from BMW, picked it up yesterday, and sent it to Russell today for a 28 Aug build date.

When it comes back I'll have Rocky re-make the hosed-up seat and decide which I like best........ I'll sell the one I don't wish to keep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts