BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am excited at the chance of a new GT.

When is the Milan show? October is almost half gone!

Is there a website where we can get a sneak preview?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
new GT

I think it will be a K1200ST like the new R1200ST. Very similar to the K1200S with upright bars and larger upper fairing. Bags might be similar to the RT or totally different but not the exoskeleton bags the new Ks now use. Just a prediction. It should be a FJR1300 killer!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whatever the new GT is...

The bike as is, with bar backs and a better seat, is great. One problem: The darn machine has very short legs, compared to say an RT. 180 miles per tank is all you can hope for on a seriously long trip. I am a long distant rider and I was hoping this bike would be my last for a number of years. In this area I am very disappointed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
A K-GT based on the same engine as the K1200S

I hope the new K-GT, or whatever it will be called, will have the same engine as the K1200S and not a de-tuned version.

·
Registered
636 Posts
New K1200GT

Bugger.
I'm on the verge of test riding an R1200GS. I like idea of not being stopped by too much re road surface (I live in Tropical Nth Queensland Australia) so the Adventure Touring bug is calling.
I LOVE my KGT and a new model will only make the choice harder.

Best wishes everyone.

Ken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
baytown said:
Bugger.
I'm on the verge of test riding an R1200GS. I like idea of not being stopped by too much
I did - TWICE! I'm sold. Love the bike, love handling and love the go anywhere attitude. Even if it's just to get me over crappy roads and gravel roads. The GS WILL be my next bike.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
My sources (and I use source{s} because there are multiple) are the same sources that gave me information on the K1200S 6 months before we knew anything solid on it, provided detailed specs for the K1200R when people were still accusing me of being on drugs in regards to a "naked" K1200S that BMW had the works, and was 100% right about the 2006 K1200LT and updated options months before BMW announced it.

These sources have told me that the K1200GT will in fact be designated "GT" and will have cruise control, adjustable windshield, heated seats, accessory sockets, better ergos, and a fairing halfway between that of the current K1200S and the R1200RT. No word on whether an audio system will be included. They have also said the GT will arrive in US dealer showrooms in the spring (March 2002 was mentioned specifically). The March timeframe would be good because it provides just enough time between the Jan/Feb dealer meeting and getting product shipped from Germany. I trust these sources, but with all rumors, this source could be wrong (and it really would be the first time for these sources).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds almost the same as the beemer dealer told me except for the time frame. They were thinking it was gonna be June or July 2006.
Later == Bobby

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Love the R1200GSA but . . .

If there is going to be a K1200GT, then I will be seriously tempted to add one to the garage for those long highway runs. On the highway, the GS is strong and stable but not as rock solid as the KRS is on the highway. And it does not have the torgue of the K1200S or the even the R1200ST.

·
Registered
91 Posts
rumour of unvieling at NEC show in UK at end of Oct

I've seen info that says BMW will unveil a new bike at the NEC show in the UK at the end of Oct. Could this possibly be the new K12GT? A friend will be at the show and report back what he finds...stay tuned!

I test road the K12S this weekend...very fast, powerful - not bad ergos but much more vibration than my K12RS. The seat also throws me into the tank like my old K75 did - not great for my 5'10 body. The only other issue I found was the 1 to 2 shift - takes a lot of force followed by a lot of clunk noise. I'm very eager to test the GT setup when it comes out but not ready to trade my RS for the S at this point.

'98 K12RS - Delaware

·
Registered
161 Posts
Eljeffe -- Very positive and informative post on the (hopefully) forth-coming
K1200GT. A few weeks agao after test riding a k12s I felt that my 63yr
old body would be spent after a few hours, and my drivers license
suspended. My local dealer feels that if the k1200s is somewhat of a
sales success that the GT would follow. His feeling is a March delivery.
I hope that you are both right because after riding the "S" I dropped
a deposit for the GT.

Phil

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
phil_p said:
Eljeffe -- Very positive and informative post on the (hopefully) forth-coming
K1200GT. A few weeks agao after test riding a k12s I felt that my 63yr
old body would be spent after a few hours, and my drivers license
suspended. My local dealer feels that if the k1200s is somewhat of a
sales success that the GT would follow. His feeling is a March delivery.
I hope that you are both right because after riding the "S" I dropped
a deposit for the GT.

Phil
Phil,

My dealer has a Blue/White S sitting on the floor right now. I've been drooling over that color since the K1200S was first announced. But when I started hearing plausible and credible information on the next-gen K1200GT, I passed on the K1200S. I've had 6 bikes over the past 5 years, and the only one that has remained constant is the K1200LT. I loved my RS, but for me, it wasn't the long distance tourer that I wanted. The GT was nothing more than an RS with a touring-based accessory "value package" on it, so it wasn't what I needed. I needed something that was smaller than the LT and even the new RT, but offered much of the same "sport" of the K1200S. So I have bought into and set my sights on the rumors of the next-gen GT.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Phil,

FWIW, I wrap my 66 year old body around the K-S and love every minute of it. I actually find it easier to ride than my former GT which was a beast and difficult for me to toss around. I do like riding twisties and have them all around where we live. By-the-way, part of the reason the K-S is more flickable is a little secret BMW used in designing one part of the bike. The bars are wider than the old RS/GT - this translates to not only a much lighter bike, but one with more leverage. Well, I could go on; the esa helps, giving a comfortable, less jarring ride on the straight roads and a stiffer platform in the turns; and the Hossack front seems to give better feedback than the telelever. There, I've said it all. Well, some wil argue the damper takes away from the slow speed manuvering - and that's true compared to my wife's ST, but a little speed makes them about the same when turning.

Agree with you Jeff, especially having seen that number of motorcycles, that maybe just waiting for a few months to see if what developes on the new GT would make sense, especially if longer trips are anticipated for the new bike. You know, BMW would just have to increase the fuel capacitiy, as an example, on anything they call a sport-tourer, looking at the present competiton.

Miles

·
Registered
557 Posts
raph42 said:
The bike as is, with bar backs and a better seat, is great. One problem: The darn machine has very short legs, compared to say an RT. 180 miles per tank is all you can hope for on a seriously long trip. I am a long distant rider and I was hoping this bike would be my last for a number of years. In this area I am very disappointed.
I get along with the S legs, but I miss the RS legs, and I miss the K100RS legs. I would assume that they will enlarge the tank on the new GT though. Why not?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Miles

Don't think that I haven't thought about the "S" since that test ride. I was very happy with my 04' RT until that little spin. County roads and traffic in Illinois and So. Wisconsin are not
the best for a bike like the "S". In a few weeks the riding season in the Chicago area
will soon end , and that may make waiting for next year less painless. If BMW delays or cancels their plans for the GT I don't think I could resist the "S" based on the many posts
that are so encouraging. Thanks very much for your imput.

Phil

·
Registered
86 Posts
November 15th? How about the possibility of it being introduced on October 27th:

http://www.bmwhp.org/content.asp?ID=1039&CLASS=NEWS

bmwhp.org said:
BMW Motorrad UK will showcase the world premier of a new model that will be on sale in 2006. Full details are still firmly under wraps but the excitement is building as the NEC will be the first time anywhere in the world that motorcycle journalists and bike enthusiasts can see this new machine in the metal."

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I believe it was you Miles, but I could be wrong. And since I am at best by other's standards a novice rider, the following statement [The bars are wider than the old RS/GT - this translates to not only a much lighter bike, but one with more leverage]...doesn't this translate into using countersteering to manage the turns/lean as opposed to other means e.g. the body. If you read this Miles and say WT* are you talking about John, just forget it and I have you confused with someone else.

Regards

1 - 20 of 22 Posts