BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
#1). On my 2001 RS, I noticed that I had a slight amount of oil on my final drive housing which looked to be emanating from the object with the black rubber cap covering it, whatever it's called, which is located above the speedometer sensor. What is this called and what is it's function? Is this a weep hole? Anything serious here?

#2). On one of my system bags, the inner shell of the right bag has a 3 inch hole in it and I am looking for a fiberglass product that will be waterproof and heat resistant that will cover it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help ahead of time....Rick

·
Registered
87 Posts
GoldRush said:
#1). On my 2001 RS, I noticed that I had a slight amount of oil on my final drive housing which looked to be emanating from the object with the black rubber cap covering it, whatever it's called, which is located above the speedometer sensor. What is this called and what is it's function? Is this a weep hole? Anything serious here?

#2). On one of my system bags, the inner shell of the right bag has a 3 inch hole in it and I am looking for a fiberglass product that will be waterproof and heat resistant that will cover it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#1. Overfilled FD? I just checked mine.....little dirt around it but no weeping....

#2. I just used some ABS plastic, warmed it to to fit...sealed it with sealer, riveted in place and covered with metal tape...no leaks no drips no problems....

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
GoldRush said:

if you haven't done an FD oil change and it just started weeping out the breather than you should drain it because you could have water in there making it over full... The oil comes to the top and weeps out the breather...............................(Im thinking).............. There is suppose to be a small filter under the cap to keep the oil from exiting the hole...it could have fell into the housing...it wont hurt anything in there but thinking it would cause the oil to splash up through the breather...I think that the breather cap just snaps off the breather and you should see a small little wad of filter element in there

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks and one more question

Thanks for the info. :clap: I was thinking that it was overfilled, since there was recent service done.

Also, I'll be working on the bag repair as well using your ideas.

Not so worried about the final drive now.

Yet another question. On the oem rear shock where is the indicator that tells you that the shock is say set at 7? At the bottom of the shock there is a 1/2" space in the contoured outer housing and the setting 7 located on the turning part of the shock is aligned with it. Is the shock in the highest position?

I'm still not sure it's properly adjusted. Have a great day!

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is traditional to fill the rear drive, as well as the gearbox, to the bottom of the fill threads. Way back in 1985 (!), there was a service bulletin to fill the rear drive with a measured 250cc. This will leave the oil somewhat below the bottom thread.

Some oils froth more than others. We found that one of the more respected oils frothed enough to weep from the breathers on a lot of bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts