BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had bike leak about 1.5 gallons after a fill. First thought it was the overfill, flood the canister issue, but it leaked a little after I rode it again a short distance. Took to shop and they said the tank is cracked on left side, $1600 please. Suggestions from this wise forum?
65,000 miles

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hell, it's plastic. Glue it up! What 's the worst that could happen? A massive leak and fire while riding 80mph?

·
Registered
135 Posts
On a little more serious note; That tank is made of Polypropylene (as denoted by a PP marking). and that whole family of plastics is a bitch to glue. I reinforced a couple mounting tabs on a part not long ago and had to resort to Loctite 3035 Adhesive at $60 a tube. And my finding was the bond was questionable. I may have gotten old stock or something because it took 3 days to set up.

All the standard glues you see at Home Depot (JB Weld, Gorilla, Epoxys, etc.) are not recommended for Polypropylene or Polyethylene and state so on the bottle or tube.

Plan B would be Plastic Welding but as a career metal welder, I always had difficulty with the idea of welding plastic and never got too much involved with it. That might be worth looking into but I certainly wouldn't recommend glue on a gas tank from my personal experience with the Thermoplastics family.

·
Registered
677 Posts
eBay is full of K1300 gas tanks (if that is your model; you didn't specify).
+1 for ebay. Without ebay used parts I would have sold my KGT years ago....or gone broke.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes, Ihendrick is certainly right. eBay is your 1st resource. Local Craig's Lists are useful as well and now that the entire K-40 line is discontinued, the boneyards will hopefully be dealing in those parts also. In the past, I found the big boneyards were not handling late K-bike parts.

And remember; BMW means Bikes Made Weird.

·
Registered
677 Posts
"......And remember; BMW means Bikes Made Weird...."

BMW = Bring More Wallet

·
Registered
135 Posts
I was walking into the dealership a few days ago and this guy was coming out with such an armload of new parts that he had to hold his receipt in his teeth. He looked like an amiable enough dude so I told him he looked like the walking wounded and I see they even tried to jam the receipt down your throat.

I got a pretty good laugh out of him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts