BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My frame cracked where the kickstand mounts ..
Has anyone tried to weld it ??Also what exactly is the frame made of ??

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
290 Posts
Please come back with your final work, interesting. Steel but don't know the alloy. Unless you are a pro welder, I would have a shop do it. Also remove your battery so everything is totally shut down. Maybe have a local bike shop make a recommendation for having it repaired. This is not as minor as it may seem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While the kickstand is made of steel alloy, I would imagine the motorcycle frame where the kickstand attaches is an aluminum alloy which would be much trickier to weld. Could you please share a picture of the damage?? I'm curious to see where the failure occurred and maybe guess at how to avoid it. Might also be able to get more feedback from the forum on a good fix.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
290 Posts
Sorry for coughing up Steel when I did not go look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who would Have thought that BMW would have made a frame where the kickstand mounts to in thin piece of aluminum..Makes no sense should have been steel ..or way thicker aluminum ..

Sorry for coughing up Steel when I did not go look.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Aluminum is common on most frames but agree this is generally a fairly burly part on most motorcycles. Perhaps the repair could include strengthening the entire area to prevent this issue from reoccurring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts