BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I screwed up big time on my 85 K100 . Had a small leak on the crank seal and it looked like I just needed to move it slightly so thought I would give it a shot. drained the oil and removed the crank case cover and moved the seal / gasket into proper position. As I put it back together I over torqued one of the top bolts (2nd from the oil fill cap) . The bolt broke and it actually broke pretty low , not flush. So I proceeded to drill it out with no luck, used 2 different extractor tools and still no go. One time while drilling the bolt caught and went deeper, think it welded itself too. My stubbornness and lack of patience caused more problems, I cannot even get a bolt to start to thread on it. Any suggestions at all, I know I have to have this bolt and grommit in place but am in a panic now on how to fix this.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If it was me, I'd torque the rest of the bolts (a little less on the 2 adjacent ones) then try starting it. That bolt is pretty far from the sump and it's not a stressed member. Might get a little misting over time, shouldn't be a big deal. A good shop could probably pull the bolt easily.

·
Registered
223 Posts
left hand drill

You should use a left hand drill ( buy a set ) if you still have no luck after drilling it with a left hand drill , drill it out and if most material and threads of the original threaded hole is gone still chase the threads with the proper size tap , and get some of the proper size all thread ( or a bolt long enough to cut to length needed ) and some JB weld and JB weld the new stud in the hole , next day put a nut on it , don't over tighten. joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas, I did try an extractor but no luck. Will see if I can find a helicoil and last resort a machine shop. thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Haf ass

A heil coil is a half assed replacment of theads , one has to go to the next lager replacement thread to actualy fix the problem ( JB weld will hold to over 500f) I am the aircraft machinist you wanted to see. retired ,,, ex usa force joe

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
broken bolt update

My buddy that owns a shop stopped by to work on it last night with no luck, he was pretty frustrated. So we loaded my K in the truck and off to the shop she goes. Oh and loading the K100 in the truck was much easier than I thought, 2 of us muscled her in.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts