BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if its possible to remove/replace crankshaft without removing engine.
If so do you know the procedure.
Many thanks
Pete

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone know if its possible to remove/replace crankshaft without removing engine.
If so do you know the procedure.
Many thanks
Pete
To get the crank out you'd have to remove the gearbox... Flywheel is bolted to the crank and clutch assembly is bolted to flywheel.....

Having looked at what I need to do to split the box off the engine on my K1200RS I think getting the engine out at that point would be much easier to sit the whole lump on a bench and work at a comfortable height.

·
Registered
196 Posts
To get the crank out you'd have to remove the gearbox... Flywheel is bolted to the crank and clutch assembly is bolted to flywheel.....
If we are talking about the Flying Brick engines, the crankshaft can be removed from the right side of the engine by accessing under the R/H cover. You would have to remove the timing chain cover and valve cover. A pretty big job in any case. The crankshaft turns the output shaft and clutch through a 1:1 gearset. It is possible to remove the crankshaft without removing the pistons/rods, just be very careful to not nick any of the journals. You need to get a workshop manual for guidance. Haynes and Clymer are two that I am familiar with in addition to BMW pubs. I don''t know if the rod bolts are "torque to yield" (one time usage) or not.

What is the problem that you are trying to address?

Frank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback.
I am experienced in engine rebuilds (automotive) and could see that the crankshaft appeared to be somewhat easily removable without major engine disassembly but I wanted to make sure there was not some unseen difficulties. For such a complex machine this comes as pleasant surprise....having the engine oriented on it side and not having the crankshaft connected directly to the transmission.
The motorcycle (considered not worth repairing by the local BMW dealer) was given to me as a non-runner with 188,000 miles on the clock. The engine starts easily but is noisy when hot. I found number one crankpin has considerable wear so have decided to replace the crankshaft with another serviceable unit from another bike.
With such high miles the bike doesn't have very much resale value so I don't want to spend much on it........and if things don't work out I guess I could break it for parts and cover my costs.
Regards
Peter

·
Registered
196 Posts
Complete used engines should be available relatively cheap at a motorcycle junkyard in case you can't find just a crankshaft.
I sent a 100,000 mile original '85 engine to an aluminum re-cycler a couple of years ago- nothing wrong with it, just taking up space.

Frank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that Duckbubbles.
I got a used crankshaft in good condition and installed it over the weekend. An easy job...no special tools...just love the BMW quality and fit.
Still waiting for a set of new bearings for the rod that was worn.
New oil and filter later this week and then off for a ride at the weekend!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts