BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Crash Bungs

6K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Shaun 
#1 ·
Looking over the K1200 S at this week's bike show I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any provision for aftermarket crash bungs. Fine provided you can always keep it upright but stepping onto loose gravel has vrought my ZZR down on its side once and the crash bungs protected the fairing from damage. Any experience out here on this issue?

#3 ·
zzrman said:
Looking over the K1200 S at this week's bike show I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any provision for aftermarket crash bungs. Fine provided you can always keep it upright but stepping onto loose gravel has vrought my ZZR down on its side once and the crash bungs protected the fairing from damage. Any experience out here on this issue?
Here's an excellent reason for filling out your profile. What the heck are 'bungs'? Presume they are 'guards of some type' to protect the bike against a tipover? So, fill in that profile man, so we can at least know that bung is the correct terminology in who knows where. Heck, I need the Outback restaurant to know what a 'barbie' is????

#12 ·
Lest you nasty children get some heh heh kick out of bung and bung hole . . . a bung is a hole, as in the top of a 55 gal. drum from which you draw out contents. The 'hole' is called the bung hole! Now, now, is this gonna have to be moved to Jo uhhhh, Tales around the Campfire?

#14 ·
jpalamaro said:
Lest you nasty children get some heh heh kick out of bung and bung hole . . . a bung is a hole, as in the top of a 55 gal. drum from which you draw out contents. The 'hole' is called the bung hole! Now, now, is this gonna have to be moved to Jo uhhhh, Tales around the Campfire?
Actually, the hole is the hole and the bung isn't. The bung is the stopper. At least that's what dictionary.com says. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bung

Matt

#15 ·
LOCUS said:
Take a look at these two pictures, see 'em???? :p

Well I checked the site again and they list frame sliders for various models of Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha but no BMWs. As for your pictures, the first is a K1200 R and the other looks like a K1200S but with the middle section of the fairing removed. I can understand that you are going to have to cut a hole in the fairing to fit a frame slider but I haven't seen a product offering this, at least on this site..

#16 ·
zzrman said:
Well I checked the site again and they list frame sliders for various models of Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha but no BMWs. As for your pictures, the first is a K1200 R and the other looks like a K1200S but with the middle section of the fairing removed. I can understand that you are going to have to cut a hole in the fairing to fit a frame slider but I haven't seen a product offering this, at least on this site..
Its designed to protect the "frame" not much else -ie fairings, engine etc

#18 ·
Hi Philip,

The K1200S has "protection" under the fairing as you can see from the photos Locus has posted. However the bobbins protect the engine and frame... once the fairing has been worn through.

Think its a judgement call. If you want to spoil the lines of the fairing then fit extended bobbins. If you want the security of having everything other than the plastic protected... you have it as standard.

I do not think there is a right answer to the question... unless you have loads of money, then one could have extended bobbins for track days and spare plastic for everyday road use?

Wish you the best as and when you get your K1200S... Like Scotland, you have some nice roads in your neck of the woods... its a pity our weather can be so crap!

#19 ·
Sliders

Can't say I'm much impressed with the effectivity of the sliders on the S.
A couple of weeks ago I made a extended testride on an S. After having collected the machine I briefly visited a friend of mine. When I left, I had to be careful to turn on to the road, because the line of sight was obstructed by trees lining it. When I saw the road was clear, I turned the throttle and turned right - and then the engine stalled.
Before In knew what had happend I was lying down with my leg pinned under the bike. From King of the Road to Dumbo in a spit second. With the help of my friend I crawled from underneath the bike, none the worse for wear, but with my pride hurt as you can imagine! - And a hurt purse as well: although I fell over from virtually a standstill, I still had som 350 Euro (say 400 Dollars) worth of damage: scratches on the mirror, bar-end, black plastic part of the body and on the silencer.

After that I still had a great testride on the S, lasting for about 600 kilometers, which I enjoyed for every meter.
A well, shit happens!

Peter

#20 ·
rlmr said:
Hi Philip,

The K1200S has "protection" under the fairing as you can see from the photos Locus has posted. However the bobbins protect the engine and frame... once the fairing has been worn through.

Think its a judgement call. If you want to spoil the lines of the fairing then fit extended bobbins. If you want the security of having everything other than the plastic protected... you have it as standard.

I do not think there is a right answer to the question... unless you have loads of money, then one could have extended bobbins for track days and spare plastic for everyday road use?

Wish you the best as and when you get your K1200S... Like Scotland, you have some nice roads in your neck of the woods... its a pity our weather can be so crap!
Rennie

Thanks for explaining that the sliders shown in Locus' photo are factory installed and sit underneath the fairing. It wasn't readily apparent.

I'm test riding the S next Thursday at Pidcocks so the decision on whether or not to move on from my ZZR will wait until then.

I'll be interested to see if the stories about the poor fuel injection at low revs are true - I understand there were early problems but a software fix to the ECU has taken care of this, and whether the gearbox is OK. I've seen road test reports whichcomplain about the gearbox after repeated use in heavy traffic.

If you are anyone else has any comments on these or other things I should be looking out for, please post them here.

Thanks in advance

Philip

#21 ·
The S frame sliders work very well, I unfortunately found this out the the hard way.

They're actually designed better than the average sportbike slider, since they break up on impact, absorbing the shock of the hit instead of your frame.

They're NOT designed to save plastic, just hardparts i.e frame, plumbing, etc under the fairing.

My left side slider cracked into a perfect 4 pieces, and there wasn't a scratch to any of my hard parts.

All I had to replace was a bar end, a fairing and bottom spoiler, and rear passenger peg.

Sucked, but it beats repalcing an engine cover, or a frame.

#22 ·
the nicest part of your post is that you are safe and able to tell it !

cream on the cake is costless repairs on your bike,

thanks for being first to test ;-)

kind regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.