BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that, Mark!

Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse; nice to hear about all the helpful people. Your attitude sounds really great! The important thing is no permanent damage to you, and the bike has insurance... right?

Heal well!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve_Carlton said:
Wow, sorry to hear that, Mark!

Glad to hear you weren't hurt worse; nice to hear about all the helpful people. Your attitude sounds really great! The important thing is no permanent damage to you, and the bike has insurance... right?

Heal well!
yes to insurance, the adjuster will be looking at the bike on Monday

·
Registered
351 Posts
Ok Mark, since you won't be getting a normal sleep tonight...

I think you should opt for that comfy recliner, pitcher of ice water by your chair and feet elevated. Warm blanket and a pillow and you're set (remote and phone within easy reach). Bring a bucket to pee in to save those up-down trips to the bathroom. Take your pain meds. Better to be gorked a little while than no sleep at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get well soon

Mark
Take it easy and get well soon . The rest is all replaceable. May be time when you are up and mobile again to seek some further training. Im not sure what is available your side of the pond.
Good to hear good help was available when you needed it most.
Frank :coffee

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
additional training

Old-Codger said:
...May be time when you are up and mobile again to seek some further training. Im not sure what is available your side of the pond...
I agree, even though I've been riding for years, as soon as I'm mobile again, I'm going to take one of those courses. I want to find out what other stupid things I like to do, the easy way this time. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mark,
Sad to hear about your day. I just avoided a nearly identical experience on Friday. I was heading to work and running late, this added by a likewise blind road. As I was turning, I hit the gas and felt the tire spin, as I felt this, I let off and it came back under me, the feeling of remaining upright was both adrenoline, fear, suprise, and relief all at the same time. I was very lucky and thankful. I have put power to it in a corner several times before but not with cold tires.

I wish you the best in your surgery, speedy recovery, and quick/cheap repairs to the bike!

Kyle

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Two of us in one week!

Mark,

So sorry to hear about your crash. It sounds like you're going to be OK and that's the important part. What a coincidence that you and I should both crash in right handers in the same week, with no one to blame but ourselves! In my case, I rolled away without harm or a scratch on my body, so my event pales into insignificance next to yours.

Get well soon. Maybe a new K1200S is in your future??!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Mark: Glad you're pretty much OK. Rest, take it easy, recover, and PT is a good thing! Seems that there are quite a few mishaps that occur on cold tires in the winter, close to home, on a turn. Maybe we can all learn somthing from these incidents. I for one am really carefull when the temps are below 40, and I've just started out. I figure that I need at least 15 minutes of riding at speed before my tires are are up to temp...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Mark,
Sorry to hear about that. Sounds like your attitude is good. I commend you on your smart decision to deal with temporary pain to keep from having to replace all your gear.

Thanks for posting. A little analysis as a learning experience for us all I'll guess that when you spun out your rear wheel went wide. When you let off the throttle it hooked back up but now the rear wheel and front wheel weren't pointed the same direction resulting in the classic high side where the bike leaning one way quickly straightens up and throws the rider onto the ground and then slams itself into the ground.

When this happens during braking it is generally recommended that you keep the rear wheel locked so it won't hook back up. I don't know what the proper procedure is to prevent this under acceleration--perhaps not countersteering before you hook back up?

Hang in there. At least you're missing riding during the winter months. Much better than during the summer.

--Jerry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get well

Sorry to hear about your fall Mark. Hope you and your bike get well soon.
However, nice to hear there are still "good people" around when you need them. Last time i crashed, no one stopped :(
Re. training, i've been riding for 15 years and recently decided to invest in an advanced riding course to try and get rid of bad habits. Best money i ever invested in this hobby. I had many bad habits and the instructor really taught me some valuable techniques/riding systems. Not just the "don'ts" either... I'm actually able to make much better progress (safely) in most road conditions using "the system". While you are recuperating, take a look at "Proficient Motorcycling". I guarantee you'll find a few things in there you didn't know or hadn't considered.

Heal fast.

Thor

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got home from the hospital

Thanks for the replies everybody.

My mom flew into town the day after the accident to help me out and to get me to and from the hospital. I emailed my brothers a copy of this post and one of them replied saying that I had left the part out about my mommy coming over to take care of me. I replied back to him that I left that part out on purpose. :cool:

Luckily, I crashed just down the street from a great hospital which had a great orthopedic surgeon. I had the surgery on Monday and they had me spend the night. My shoulder feels better already.

Before the surgery, my damaged shoulder was a lot lower than the other, it was obviously messed up. The slightest movement was extremely painful. Now, they're the same height and it feels a lot better. The surgery was a breeze too, they just woke me up when it was over.

This morning a young nurse came into my room and asked me if I could get out of bed on my own and I said yes, then she said she'd leave some washclothes and towels in the bathroom for me and I realized I had just blew my chance for a sponge bath, Doh!!!! :banghead

I'm hoping to find out something about my RS tomorrow.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
This morning a young nurse came into my room and asked me if I could get out of bed on my own and I said yes, then she said she'd leave some washclothes and towels in the bathroom for me and I realized I had just blew my chance for a sponge bath, Doh!!!! :banghead
Your mom would have been proud, though. As for the snide comments from your siblings, you can always use the "Smothers Brothers" comment of "Mom always like me best...deal".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
Razel said:
you can always use the "Smothers Brothers" comment of "Mom always like me best...deal".
Careful Ray, your showing your (advanced) age there. :hypocrite

·
Registered
80 Posts
Learning..

I for one am very happy this mishap didnt do you more harm. And thank you for sharing the experience with us, in order that we can all learn! Apart from the bike's behaviour, commented by several above, there is one point that I would like to focus on:

You wrote, quote:

'I was making a "right-on-red" from one highway onto another. There was a slight hill so I couldn't see too far down the road and wasn't sure whether any cars were coming. So, as I was turning right, I gunned it, just in case there was a car approaching.'

IMHO I would say that if you cannot be certain you are not interfering with any crossing traffic, you should stop and not do a right-on-red! The few seconds wait until green would have saved you the urge to gun still in the curve and thus not loosing traction.

Hope to have you back on wheels shortly!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
andetorp said:
IMHO I would say that if you cannot be certain you are not interfering with any crossing traffic, you should stop and not do a right-on-red! The few seconds wait until green would have saved you the urge to gun still in the curve and thus not loosing traction.
I agree. If I had waited for the light to change I'm sure I would've pulled out calmy and under control.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bandages Removed

I got to remove my bandages today. Here's the gory pic!

I also heard that my bike is "not that bad" but I don't have any details yet.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How much damage

Mark, I had a tip over (side stand) gave way, which cost my insurance close to 3 grand. If there's no real mechanical problem you can order the new panels and install yourself. When mine tipped over it hit the edge of the valve cover and caused a leak, so I had to replace the cover, also the shift lever busted off. My helmet was on the bike when it tipped so it was covered too! I have GMAC Rider Insurance, they were very prompt and no hassel. Hope you have your bike and body repaired soon!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
B_Haugen said:
Mark, I had a tip over (side stand) gave way, which cost my insurance close to 3 grand. If there's no real mechanical problem you can order the new panels and install yourself. When mine tipped over it hit the edge of the valve cover and caused a leak, so I had to replace the cover, also the shift lever busted off. My helmet was on the bike when it tipped so it was covered too! I have GMAC Rider Insurance, they were very prompt and no hassel. Hope you have your bike and body repaired soon!!
My RS is at BMW of Milwaukee. I just got off the phone with them. They've sent their estimate and photos to my insurance company and are waiting for the check.

They said it the left side plastics, Valve cover, and gear shifter. Luckily, my new Two Brothers exhaust is OK.

·
Registered
351 Posts
re: Bike in shop BMW Motorcycles of Milwaukee...

Mark, good news. They should have it good as new in no time. I was in the shop today for some followup work on my bike. In at 10 and out by 11 am.;) Getting to be that time of year when things are starting to pick up. I was in the garage area and your bike will get good care from those folks.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts