BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
248 Posts
Seems I'm going through the archives finding things to comment on.

I would never use a worm type hose clamp on a fuel line of a fuel injected machine. They don't clamp round enough at small diameters for high pressure fuel lines. You can buy special fuel line screw type clamps from BMW or auto parts stores fairly inexpensively. They do not have the ability to fit many different sizes like the worm drive clamps. They are stamped with their designed diameter. I used 12.5 and 13mm clamps on my R-bike.

Since I bought the oetiker clamp pliers, I sometimes just buy the oetiker clamps since they are a very clean install.

Cheers,
Jerry

· Registered
248 Posts
brucecha said:
If I am not mistaken my '85 K100 came stock with worm-type hose clamps on the fuel filter. Why can't we use these on the newer bikes?
Like I say, they don't stay round at small diameters--unless you've got some that are different than the ones I've seen. I bought the smallest ones I could find. I'm pretty sure others have agreed with me not to use them on high pressure fuel hose. They all have a flat spot on the bottom of the worm and go D shaped at small diameters.

Once you have the others you'll agree they clamp much better.
--Jerry

· Registered
248 Posts
milkman said:
I had my dealer install the Omega disconnects and they used the screw type SS hose clamps...no problems....the pinch type can only be used once.
But the screw type the dealer uses are fuel line type clamps with the screw perpendicular to the hose, right? The clamps we're discussion are the worm type with a large screw tangential to the hose. I use the clamps you're describing extensively on my bikes. --Jerry

· Registered
248 Posts
ELP_JC said:
Quick question: how do you remove the factory 'oetiker' clamps without cutting/damaging the hose?

I plan to install screw-type clamps on the quick disconnects in case of failure on the road; much easier to deal with without having to remove the right fairing. Thanks.

I use a good pair of sidecutters and just snip off the nipple. I only snip one side of it and don't try just snipping in the direction that would tighten it more as it may damage the hose. --Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.