BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My, new to me 2003 K1200GT has an intermittent, fail to engage, cruise control problem. I have had the bike one year. I bought it with 3,500 miles on the odometer. I know its history and know this mileage to be accurate. I have ridden it only 2,500 miles. On a 1,000-mile trip the CC worked fine.

About 100-miles ago the CC became intermittent. I don’t want to skew the forum’s Trouble Shooting theories but shortly after the bike was ridden in the pouring rain for the first time, and after drying out, this problem started. It’s always garaged.

I've done no investigation save listening for, and hearing the various micro switches “click”. It does have the typical, old BMW wire harness sheathing-cracks which I know act as down spouts taking water to connectors.

Anyone out there got some tips? Thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
You need to be 100% certain that you have the correct free play in the CC cable between the CC module and the throttle bodies. If there is insufficient free play the CC unit will deactivate and turn off. You will find the adjuster behind the CC module behind the L/H main fairing panel towards the nose. This is covered in detail in Clymer and gives the correct free play measurements. From (distant) memory I think it’s about 3mm, and must be checked and adjusted when the engine is cold.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Darn wet weather? Is the cruise light coming on at the switch.If not switch may need a cleaning.Not that waterproof them switches,more like weatherproof and the OEM grease is probably gone by now.

Where is Jean?:winkThere for sure:

https://youtu.be/2ov3-jdII6A

I never used the troubleshooter all I had to do was push the clutch lever forward and the cruise would work so clutch switch was sticky.Easy(ish) fix but I later got rid of the switch at the throttle bodies,very small wires that were showing copper and could have touched each other disabling the cruise.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
372 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
My cruise control did not work when I got my K1200GT, but the red light was on. If the red light is on, I would disassemble the rear tail light, pull the brake bulb, clean and inspect. Make sure both element have continuity. If one is burned out, it won't work.

I changed my bulb and all is good again. I had a burned out element.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts