BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used Navigator III and plugged it into my "09 KGT power plug under the battery cover. Went for the first ride with it and noticed cruise wouldn't engage. Unplugged the GPS and cruise control functioned properly. First time that I've used the power plug. I sprayed electrical cleaner in both the plug and GPS but issued returned.
Does anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions to remedy this condition? I turn wrenches but not very knowledgeable about electrical.

LDM

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a used Navigator III and plugged it into my "09 KGT power plug under the battery cover. Went for the first ride with it and noticed cruise wouldn't engage. Unplugged the GPS and cruise control functioned properly. First time that I've used the power plug. I sprayed electrical cleaner in both the plug and GPS but issued returned.
Does anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions to remedy this condition? I turn wrenches but not very knowledgeable about electrical.

LDM
I'm pretty good with electronics, but would have to look at what you have. The first thing I would look at is voltage. If you have smaller wires, corroded fuse, poor ground, you won't be getting enough voltage (and noisy voltage) to the cruise control. You'll have to check the wiring diagram to find where the cruise control and the fuse are. But adding something that is low power, like a GPS is probably just aggravating something that is already marginal.
The only other idea I have is to check your GPS and make sure you have it wired correctly. I say this from experience.
Many GPSs are powered from a USB plug. A USB plug is supposed to be fed with 5V, not 12. If you wired it straight, it will cause, at a minimum the GPS pulling too much current, at worse, it will blow it out. If you are using a USB to cigar lighter plug adapter, many of those are cheap design and could cause problems of their own.

·
Registered
365 Posts
There are no fuses on an '09 KGT (CANBUS). The plug for the GPS output is 12V. Did you use the repair type plug to connect to the GPS? Take a volt meter and check the Voltage on the plug. I know on mine one wire had a solid 12V and the other was at 10.5V

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for your input. More info: I'm using a Navigator III designed for BMW cycles. It has the OEM plug from Garmin that was made to fit the power outlet connection that is tucked under the battery cover. A complete OEM set up. I didn't have to do anything but plug and play. The GPS works perfectly including bluetooth's to my helmet. If I unplug the GPS from the power supple then the cruise control returns as normal. Still scratching my head over this one. Just hoping someone has fixed this
problem or read about it somewhere on a forum, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts