BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you set (like in my case) your cruise to 78 and then get off the highway and you come to a complete stop go twenty miles sit and idle for a couple of minutes. Then you take off and you are in second gear going 25 is it possible to accidently hit the resume button... will the bike try and go back to 78? My bike has a problem and I don't want to try to see if this is possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I would say it is possible, as long as the cruse and bike has remained turned on, the resume should remain active and waiting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crfjohn said:
I would say it is possible, as long as the cruse and bike has remained turned on, the resume should remain active and waiting.
I suppose it is. Has anyone tried this? I know it will do this on my cars but not sure on the bike as you have to shift and that will disengage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Yes, is goes back to the last speed set as long as the engine has not been shut down or cruise turned off. Doesn't matter what gear your in.

What is your problem?

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ncooper said:
Yes, is goes back to the last speed set as long as the engine has not been shut down or cruise turned off. Doesn't matter what gear your in.

What is your problem?

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
The problem is what I posted in a thread below. I am wondering if in my panic I grabbed the throttle at the same time I grabbed the clutch??? I have been thinking about this all night long.

I had my airbox replaced 600 miles ago. I went for a little over 250 mile ride today. I was in the rain for about the last 80 miles. I was a quarter mile from home and my idle takes off while in 2nd gear and I am trying to control the bike. I squeezed the clutch and it goes over 7k going not before going from 25 to 50. Thank God there was no curb because I hit the brakes and found myself in the wet grass trying to keep it from going down. I did not have to shut the bike down as it calmed itself before scaring the shit out of me.
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
audiophool said:
The problem is what I posted in a thread below. I am wondering if in my panic I grabbed the throttle at the same time I grabbed the clutch??? I have been thinking about this all night long.

I had my airbox replaced 600 miles ago. I went for a little over 250 mile ride today. I was in the rain for about the last 80 miles. I was a quarter mile from home and my idle takes off while in 2nd gear and I am trying to control the bike. I squeezed the clutch and it goes over 7k going not before going from 25 to 50. Thank God there was no curb because I hit the brakes and found myself in the wet grass trying to keep it from going down. I did not have to shut the bike down as it calmed itself before scaring the shit out of me.
Good thinking. It is highly likely as I've bumped the cruise accidentally before, but without the fun you experienced.

Everytime I've gone down, or messed up, I kind of analyze it to death and eventually get an answer to learn from.

You could very easily bump the activation switch, especially if you had cold weather gloves on, and get the reaction you had on your bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,507 Posts
audiophool said:
The problem is what I posted in a thread below. I am wondering if in my panic I grabbed the throttle at the same time I grabbed the clutch??? I have been thinking about this all night long.

I had my airbox replaced 600 miles ago. I went for a little over 250 mile ride today. I was in the rain for about the last 80 miles. I was a quarter mile from home and my idle takes off while in 2nd gear and I am trying to control the bike. I squeezed the clutch and it goes over 7k going not before going from 25 to 50. Thank God there was no curb because I hit the brakes and found myself in the wet grass trying to keep it from going down. I did not have to shut the bike down as it calmed itself before scaring the shit out of me.
Re-think your chain of events. When you pull in the clutch the cruise control SHOULD have dis-engaged instantly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brucecha said:
Re-think your chain of events. When you pull in the clutch the cruise control SHOULD have dis-engaged instantly.
I am starting to think this one was totally my fault. If this was to happen again I hope I am much more prepared than I was because boy that girl took off. I was wearing the Gerbing winter gloves and I was so close to home that I was not paying attention like I should have been. :wtf:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
brucecha said:
. When you pull in the clutch the cruise control SHOULD have dis-engaged instantly.
I will second that. The clutch and brakes all have switches that shut off the cruise.
In the old days I would advise to check your throttle cable routing. It could be pinched.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
audiophool said:
I am starting to think this one was totally my fault. If this was to happen again I hope I am much more prepared than I was because boy that girl took off. I was wearing the Gerbing winter gloves and I was so close to home that I was not paying attention like I should have been. :wtf:
Glad you posted this. I have been monitoring your posts on the other site. This is something I hadn't considered with this bike. A little bit of throttle goes a long way, and a resume while in 2nd gear will produce dramatic results. Think I'll try this in controlled (dry road and sober) conditions. Maybe we should put this in the sticky section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
302 Posts
Good post, I always turn my CC off when stopping or getting of the highway. That is one video game I don't want to play!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
This is a good subject:

I have engaged cruise control, accelerate to pass (which does not disconnect the CC) and then let off the throttle thinking it is going to decelerate normally. It gets the adrenaline going real quick when all of a sudden the engine accelerates to regain the previously set speed... Easy to do when you are dealing with California traffic!

I too have bumped the resume feature with gloves on. I now keep the CC slider in the off position at all times except the open road.

Also when I first rode this bike, I was braking for a left twisty with the wife on back. I believe I reached for the front brake lever and must have rolled the throttle on a little. Not a problem on a 50 horsepower Harley, but with three times that horsepower the pucker factor went through the roof.

Hopefully that is the solution to your problem and not another BMW anomaly rearing its ugly head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

This is a great thread. I've never had the accidental resume issue and will make sure to shut the slider whenever I'm in traffic or off of the highway. I also plan to try this on an empty road just for a test run.

T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
CC does not cause run away acceleration

TJD said:
This is a great thread. I've never had the accidental resume issue and will make sure to shut the slider whenever I'm in traffic or off of the highway. I also plan to try this on an empty road just for a test run.

T
Just for grins and giggles I went out and played with my cruise control.
Set it for 60 mph. Stopped, accelerated to around 35 (that's about as low as the CC works) and while second I engaged the CC. It accelerated very slowly back up to 60.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ncooper said:
Just for grins and giggles I went out and played with my cruise control.
Set it for 60 mph. Stopped, accelerated to around 35 (that's about as low as the CC works) and while second I engaged the CC. It accelerated very slowly back up to 60.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
Wow Norris! Now I am really confused. I shot like a sling shot from a banshee!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
ncooper said:
Just for grins and giggles I went out and played with my cruise control.
Set it for 60 mph. Stopped, accelerated to around 35 (that's about as low as the CC works) and while second I engaged the CC. It accelerated very slowly back up to 60.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS
I got back about an hour ago having performed the same experiment, between 30 and 50, and can report the same thing. After I engaged the CC it took about 5 secs to advance the throttle at all, and took quite a while to get to 50. I would think that if you weren't prepared for it, it might be startling, but there would be plenty of time to react.

On the other hand, when I neglect to cancel after overiding a speed setting with the throttle, it's a little unnverving to have the CC stop my decelleration, but not dangerous.
 

·
Would rather be riding
Joined
·
537 Posts
CC resume

ncooper said:
Just for grins and giggles I went out and played with my cruise control.
Set it for 60 mph. Stopped, accelerated to around 35 (that's about as low as the CC works) and while second I engaged the CC. It accelerated very slowly back up to 60.
That's been my experience too, but I'm usually in 6th when I use the cruise control at all. What gear were you in when you hit resume?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
bonafidebob said:
That's been my experience too, but I'm usually in 6th when I use the cruise control at all. What gear were you in when you hit resume?
Second
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I rode it this morning to work

I rode my bike to work this morning. 53 miles one way. It's running perfect. I had it on cruise again at 78 then I got off the freeway. Went down the a two lane highway and there were no other cars around. I went 25 in second and hit the resume and it did nothing like it did when it shot like a rocket on Friday. Not sure about what happened now. :wtf: My dealer called me on Sunday and left a voicemail that he would still like to see my bike this week and leave it if possible and have me take another one. I plan on going there sometime this week.
 

·
"DELIVERS"
Joined
·
870 Posts
audiophool said:
I rode my bike to work this morning. 53 miles one way. It's running perfect. I had it on cruise again at 78 then I got off the freeway. Went down the a two lane highway and there were no other cars around. I went 25 in second and hit the resume and it did nothing like it did when it shot like a rocket on Friday. Not sure about what happened now. :wtf: My dealer called me on Sunday and left a voicemail that he would still like to see my bike this week and leave it if possible and have me take another one. I plan on going there sometime this week.
CC is not going to change gears for you!!
I don't think it works that low (25) anyway.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top