BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any word on whether an electronic cruise control like the one available on the new GT will be available for the S? That's one accessory I'd love to have.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Doubt it...I have the throttlemeisters, which are o.k. , but most of my riding is in the twisties, so I have to keep it on manual pilot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would sure love to buy a new "S" but have refused until they put a cruise on it . Us folk who don't live in the hills may have to ride a few hours to find a curve ! After having a cruise control on my current K , I won't be without one .

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think cruise control is that much needed on the KS

I have had my K1200S since May and on the few long trips (150 mi +) I have taken I didn't notice my right hand getting tired. The throttle is light enough that I just lean gently on the bars, which is the riding position most comfortable for me, with only a loose grip on the throttle. That seems to be fine for me. The throttle spring is pretty light. I wouldn't (and didn't ) let the lack of cruise control keep me off this wonderful bike!

Bronston

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hunter said:
Us folk who don't live in the hills may have to ride a few hours to find a curve ! .
If it's hard to find twisty roads in your area, I'd either move or get a different bike. The K12S can not live on interstate alone.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cheap cruise control

Just get an O-ring (sorry, don't know diameter) and put it between the outer end of the throttle grip and the metal bar extension. Works just fine--and the slight friction also makes it a little less twitchy at low speed accel/decel.

Most auto parts stores have a box of universal O-rings and if you are nice to them, they will probably let you take a sample out to try on the bike. Suggest that the ring be small enough to go down into the crack just a little. You could get several and try em out one at a time, as they are cheap.

Can't for the life of me see why anyone would pay $139 for Throttlemeister when this cheap fix is available, but to each his own.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Throttlemiesters (unlike O-rings) can be turned on and off while riding. I like a light loose throttle and then when I want to let go of the right bar tightening up the TM allows me too.

The O-ring while a simple cheap solution is always on until it wears out then it could even jam your throttle. (not likely but possible)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another $0.02 - I too thought I'd miss the cruise when I traded the k-rs for the new s...but the throttlemeister works fine b/c the throttle is so much lighter than the rs. The rs throttle stiffness was caused mostly by the cruise control cable, which fatigued my hand, which necessitated much use of cruise control.... a "catch 22"? I've done several 250+ mile days with throttlemeister and don't miss the cruise at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I guess the answer is NO ELECTRONIC CRUISING FOR THE K12S!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Once the GT is out you probably could spend the bucks to retro fit left grip and necessary cable/wires to get cruise. Ain't no way it would be cheap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
O-Ring Solution

Catman
You are the man. I'm going right out and getting them.
Anyone who has done any serious touring (1000 mile days) understands the inherent need to keep things simple- less is more.
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can adapt an aftermarket cruise to any vehicle with an electronic ignition. recent models of aftermarket cruise don't even need a vaccuum chamber. You pick where the conrol panel will go, find an ignition trigger source, mount the unit , connect the cable, and hook up the disconnect to the clutch and brake signal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use the cruise more for "ticket avoidance" than fatigue on my K12RS. It's too easy to pick up 15-20mph without noticing it. I assume it would be even more of a problem on the S.

Any rumors on whether it will be on the '07 or '08 bikes?

Or I could just buy mine it will be guaranteed to be an option within 60 days....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just got back from an 8 day 4kmile ride. I used the throttlemeister on the rare occassion I was on an interstate and needed to give the throttle hand a break. The throttlemeister was ok and did its job, having to adjust when going up and down grades was kind of a pain but overall the K is so easy to ride that I never felt fatigue or numbness in the hands even after multiple 6-700 mile days. Of the 4k miles less than 1k was on freeways, the rest were on secondary roads and twisties. I have ridden K12GTs with ECC and I didn't like the heavy throttle hand needed to compensate for the ECC.

·
Registered
351 Posts
No cruise and 4K in 8 day...

748 said:
I just got back from an 8 day 4kmile ride. I used the throttlemeister on the rare occassion I was on an interstate and needed to give the throttle hand a break. The throttlemeister was ok and did its job, having to adjust when going up and down grades was kind of a pain but overall the K is so easy to ride that I never felt fatigue or numbness in the hands even after multiple 6-700 mile days. Of the 4k miles less than 1k was on freeways, the rest were on secondary roads and twisties. I have ridden K12GTs with ECC and I didn't like the heavy throttle hand needed to compensate for the ECC.
Dude, I see why they call you Bong! Nice road trip, where did you go? Have a brother in the Seattle area and would like to see him cruise his Harley that far in as many days:)

·
Registered
156 Posts
03k12RS said:
Dude, I see why they call you Bong! Nice road trip, where did you go? Have a brother in the Seattle area and would like to see him cruise his Harley that far in as many days:)
Sorry for the thread hijack...but here was my route:

Seattle down to Baja along Hwy 1/101
Baja to Las Vegas, Utah(zion/bryce/capitol reef national parks)
Miller Motorsports Park
Bonneville Salt Flats
Crater of the Moon, Idaho
Missoula, MT for Lolo Pass into Lewiston, ID
Lewiston to Seattle

The K12S was the perfect bike for this journey, dead steable in long sweepers and nimble enough for the 20mph switchbacks. Could cruise at 100-120mph throught the deserts. Throttlemeister helped in the desert run and short stints on the interstates. I wouldn't hesitate purchasing the K12S for lack of ECC, the throttle is pretty light and never was fatiguing. The seat was stock and never was a bother either. Great bike and am happy I made the decision to purchase!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Isn't it possible just to maintain a throttle position with the outside "half" of the gloved hand across both the outer third or so of the throttle grip and the immovable bar ends. If the throttle return tension isn't too strong this works well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sort-of

Not much good if you take your right hand off the bar to give it a break/stretch (scratch the right side of your bum) as I often do.

Lenz said:
Isn't it possible just to maintain a throttle position with the outside "half" of the gloved hand across both the outer third or so of the throttle grip and the immovable bar ends. If the throttle return tension isn't too strong this works well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.