BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the new version 4.0 of TTQV (moving map software) offers the possiblity to display GPS tracks in Google Earth, I have tried to visualize my tours of the past years within the Alps (alltogether about 14,000 mi; click to enlarge image) :)

Manfred

·
We're zoned for what ? cool !
186 Posts
Good Choices

It looks like you favor the Dolomites and the Maritime Alps. Nothing wrong with that. I forgot to look if it included the Passo dello Stelvio, but I'm sure it does. Do you have any personal favorites?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ROB said:
Do you have any personal favorites?
It does not include Pso di Stelvio, because I do not like this one (to me it's annoying). My favourite is the region round Lago di Garda. And the western Alps (in France), especially Col du Galibier and Col d'Allos :)

Manfred

·
Registered
54 Posts
That looks great! How many months (I presume you don't ride during winter) does that represent? I guess it would also take you a couple of hours to get to the alps from Speyer?
I'll be back in Germany in 2008 (at least that's the plan right now), hopefully I'll be able to do some riding then. I might have to get some tips from you closer to the time.
Cheers
eddie

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eddie said:
How many months (I presume you don't ride during winter) does that represent?
The tracks represent exactly 57 days of riding (during the last about 7 years).

The time to get to the Alps is about one day (half day to the north rim of the Alps).

Manfred

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks. Might get some tips off you next time I travel over there. My sister and her husband ride (Suzuki) cruisers, maybe I'll get some riding in - mind you, it will be in winter/spring, so a lot depends on the weather. After 20 years in Australia, I even find the winter mornings on the Sunshine Coast very chilly.
Cheers
eddie

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Winter/spring of Australia or Europe? I would'nt recommend going to the Alps in winter exept for skiing. Most passed are closed due to heavy snow.

Manfred

·
Registered
24 Posts
ManfredH said:
Winter/spring of Australia or Europe? I would'nt recommend going to the Alps in winter exept for skiing. Most passed are closed due to heavy snow.

Manfred

Here are a link from one of the most famous passes in Austria, Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse when they re-opens it in April/May.With up to 21 meters of snow..
http://www.grossglockner.com/highalpineroad/snowclearing.htm

The pictures under are taken by me 6.july,2005, after a day with bad weather.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts