BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to put miles on my K1200S and I'm not crazy about the stock seat. Anyone have a custom seat for this machine? Recommendations?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got my Mayer saddle. Very firm, but wider are like the others, breaking in. This is my third Rock Mayer. If it performs lie the others two I'll be a happy man.

·
Registered
149 Posts
K-S Seat

Just ordered Rick Mayer seat after meeting him at MOA past weekend. He had his own k1200s there with his seat so I could actually try seat on same bike. I brought my bike in to the vendor area and tried both side by side. I've tried Corbin (not owned, just tried), had Sargent, and the Mayer was a no brainer. His seat was leather and I ordered same. I've done 650 miles on the stock seat which I thought wasn't bad, butt....... He takes measurements, picture of you on bike, asks preferences and complaints, price reasonable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob1949 said:
Just ordered Rick Mayer seat after meeting him at MOA past weekend. He had his own k1200s there with his seat so I could actually try seat on same bike. I brought my bike in to the vendor area and tried both side by side. I've tried Corbin (not owned, just tried), had Sargent, and the Mayer was a no brainer. His seat was leather and I ordered same. I've done 650 miles on the stock seat which I thought wasn't bad, butt....... He takes measurements, picture of you on bike, asks preferences and complaints, price reasonable.
Yeah, I saw this at MOA, too. Looked nice. I'm kicking myself for not springing for one right there. It wasn't until my butt split in two on the way home that I decided to upgrade. I've heard some bad stories about Rick, but it seems like he's got the best seat for the S.

Nice rally, crappy weather.

·
Registered
32 Posts
K12S Seat

Check out Bill Mayer Saddles. His shop is just north of LA. I took my S to him this spring and he did a really nice job getting me comfy. On his website you'll see pics of my blue sweetie. I liked Ricks seat except that he has stiching in the seat area and that seemed a good way for moisture to enter. I chose the leather and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
timmr said:
Check out Bill Mayer Saddles. His shop is just north of LA. I took my S to him this spring and he did a really nice job getting me comfy. On his website you'll see pics of my blue sweetie. I liked Ricks seat except that he has stiching in the seat area and that seemed a good way for moisture to enter. I chose the leather and couldn't be happier.
Ah...

I didn't realize that Bill had an application for the S. I'll check the website again and give him a call. It'll have to be a mail-in transaction though. I'm in New Jersey. :(

Thanks!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a Bill Mayer seat.

Oh and by the way... the OEM "low" seat is much less comfy than the standard seat. They accomplish the lowered height by simply removing most of the padding on the sides. This happens to be right where the buggar hurts!

1/2 the problem could be solved by sticking with the standard height seat.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Mogan said:
Just ordered a Bill Mayer seat.

Oh and by the way... the OEM "low" seat is much less comfy than the standard seat. They accomplish the lowered height by simply removing most of the padding on the sides. This happens to be right where the buggar hurts!

1/2 the problem could be solved by sticking with the standard height seat.
How can you see if you have a stock or lower seat? Bought my 05 bike with 2500 miles on it and suspect I have the lower seat but am unsure.

[edit: I bought my bike used so don't know if the factory seat has been replaced]

Also - is the leg rooom for the passenger less with the lower seat?

·
Registered
531 Posts
it's my understanding all "S" bikes come with the standard seat and if you want the lower seat you have to order it. i don't understand why bike manufacturers don't simply put comfortable seats on their bikes from the factory or at least make them an option. why not team up with sargeant or some other seat manufacturer and offer a comfort seat as an option. i hated the seat on my 2003 RS because it felt like i was sitting on a cinder block ater a couple hours of riding. the "S" seat is a bit better but i've still had my butt hurt after several hours of riding but i really don't take long trips that would justify coughing up a grand for an after market seat.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The standard seat is vastly more comfortable than the OEM "low" seat. If you sit on your seat and it has a little cush or bounce on the edges then it's the standard height. The low won't do this. Think the passenger area is largely unaffected.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have a Rick Mayer seat on my S that I received just in time to make the trip from NC to Vermont. On the trip up I thought I was going to have to have Rick redo the seat. Discomfort where no man should have discomfort. I spoke to Rick about it at the MOA and he said he would fix at no cost. Well the ride home was as comfortable as could be. The seat needed some breakin and I was being a little hasty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts