BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So imagine the most beautiful roads, the most perfect weather(mid 70's), 8 bikes and I'm in the middle. Cruising thru a curve at a leisurely 120 or so(mph). Come into a small town, and? I f(cking lowside at 10mph from some gravel that I couldn't see(sun in my eyes). I watch the bike slide along on the left side, then stand up at the curb and? fall on the d(*mn rt side as well? Multiple attempts to restart with no luck. Trailer it home, let it sit, and? Still no ticky no ride...

Is there some magical secret to resetting the bike after it tips over? I've searched high andlow(even rtfm) with no luck. I need to drive it or haul it to the shop to see what bits I can replace or repair.

Responses will be given a gratuituous beer.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a Honda that had a mercury switch that would kill the ignition if the bike leaned too far (fell over). I assume this was to keep the engine from running and become a fire hazard once it hit the ground. Resetting the switch simply required turning the kill switch off and then back on. I don't know if the BMW is set up in a similar fashion. And even if it is, you likely know all this and have tried it anyway. At any rate, my two cents.

·
Registered
68 Posts
jimbobvfr said:
So imagine the most beautiful roads, the most perfect weather(mid 70's), 8 bikes and I'm in the middle. Cruising thru a curve at a leisurely 120 or so(mph). Come into a small town, and? I f(cking lowside at 10mph from some gravel that I couldn't see(sun in my eyes). I watch the bike slide along on the left side, then stand up at the curb and? fall on the d(*mn rt side as well? Multiple attempts to restart with no luck. Trailer it home, let it sit, and? Still no ticky no ride...

Is there some magical secret to resetting the bike after it tips over? I've searched high andlow(even rtfm) with no luck. I need to drive it or haul it to the shop to see what bits I can replace or repair.

Responses will be given a gratuituous beer.
It might be the kill switch.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Don, believe it or not, our $17K BMWs don't have a bank-angle sensor. And the reason for one is not only a fire hazard, but to prevent the engine from grenading due to lack of oil. It should be mandatory IMHO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
To: Blk 03 k
Thanks for that piece of information. I (and a few others I'm sure) learned something today.
To: jimbobvfr
Please let us know how it turns out and what it was that kept your bike from starting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts