BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having problems opening their sidebags? It's gotten to where I have to push the button and give the case a good thwack to get the latch to release.

·
Sooper Dooper Moderator
1,025 Posts
Sometimes mine are a little tougher than usual... it helps to just lean into the lid with your thigh while you're pushing the button. Also, make sure the pop up lever is all the way up. Sometimes I have to push it all the way up.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried the leaning on the bag thing, but the thwack works better. Once the latch comes up, I pull on it to make sure it's all the way up.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
One lesson that I have learned is to make sure that everything fits easily before closing the lid. Outward pressure from the contents is not good for the hinges and makes the case harder to open. It is easy to overstuff the case when you take off a layer, such as a jacket liner, and compress it into the case.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's happened to me before too, but in this case, the case is empty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Have you tried gently pushing the latch down a bit and holding it, and then pressing the button? This usually releases the load and the button goes in easily.

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
DGShaffer said:
I had my latch assemblies replaced under a recall for the same reason but mine is a 2009 1300GT

I had the same problem last year and the dealer greased it up. Helped, but it really was not solved until the latches were replaced under a recall this year..mine is also a 2009

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've learned that if the latch lever has too much resistance when you try to close it, the bag is either over stuffed or something is trapped in the lip. If I went ahead anyway and locked it down, it could be a real bear to get it to open again. At least on my bike, if the latch lever is easy to close, it releases just as easy when you push down the button.

John

·
Registered
76 Posts
No problems with opening or closing the cover latches. As John06KGT mentioned: "... if something is trapped in the lip" it won't want to close smoothly. The issue I have is with getting the right side bag to "lock" onto the bike. Handle doesn't want to fold and close smoothly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts