BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just changed from a 4 year old 14,000 mile Ducati to a 2 year old K 1200R and am confused about the relative quality between the two. All fasteners on the Ducati were in uncorroded condition and I am surprised, nay, shocked, to find the 2000 mile BMW fasteners looking as if they do not have as good corrosion resistance. E.g. there are at least 8 Torx head screws at the front of the engine facing the back of the exhaust pipes which are rusty. The rest of the bike is mint. Both bikes have been used in the same local area of SW England. Unfortunately, the screws are not available from BMW as replacements to enable me to restore the appearance and avoid hoots of laughter from my rider buddies. Two issues then, a) surprise at the low quality fasteners and b) why are they unobtainable from BMW?
I can't find any source of Torx head screws elsewhere to match the rest of the bike. Comments chaps?

·
Registered
146 Posts
:nopic:

lol, seriously, show us a pic of which bolts are rusting out. I've had two replaced but not around the engine. BMW dealer said no screw to replace them? VERY odd.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's not try to ridicule each other when we post Eh? My sense of humour took a dive when I took a closer look at the Beemer. The point here is that some BMW engine screws rusted and BMW couldn't supply replacements. I can get M6 x1.0pitch hexagon socket (allen) screw replacements at fastener companies (including stainless) but not matching Torx head screws, stainless or otherwise. Maybe it's easier to source them on the other side of the pond?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Totally not trying to ridicule you, Alan. Just a mixture of lightheartedness plus I seriously do want to see which bolts. I want to check the same ones on my 2 year old K12R for rust as well. They are likely under the bellypan, so I may be oblivious to their condition. BMW had a recall on my 2 rusting bolts on the fairing bracket, so I'm shocked and disappointed they wouldn't replace rusting bolts under warranty or at least source the bolts for you. AND, most importantly, because I didn't say it before: welcome to the forum! :2beers:

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
If you don't have a sense of humor, you might not last long here. :D

Welcome.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hermes, sorry but I can't get a photo to load up on this site. I've compressed it down to 19Kb. I have just added a post on this subject on EuroKclub.com if you want to see the photo. You'll have to register and it's on section K1200/Corrosion/page 2. What the heck am I doing wrong to not be able to get the photo on this site having already followed the site routine?

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
alanp said:
What the heck am I doing wrong to not be able to get the photo on this site having already followed the site routine?
Before you hit "Submit", scroll down till you see "Manage Attachments". Click that.

You'll see the "Browse" buttons, and from there it's intuitave. This'll put you a thumbnail in your post.

You can also upload them into your own folder in "Gallery", copy the IMG line and paste it into your post.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The photo of the screws is now in my gallery. That's as close as I got to getting it on the post.
Grifscoots, tell me step by step in common English, minimum computer speak, how to move photos from the gallery to a post. Much obliged.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Translation

Asking Grif for common English? Perhaps we can find an translator from Tejas to American to English.

Still there are a few Grifisms that won't translate such as AssHat

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
wow. that is bad. Funny thing is that i have had my bike for over 3 years and put 16000 miles on it. i ride it almost every day including the winter, with occassional downtime for motorcycle wrecks. My bike looks nothing like that. maybe the roads are covered with something causing this. my motor looks as new as the day i bought it. unfortunate.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
First thing I did when I got my 1997 was replace as many of the hex cap screws with A4 stainless as I could. There are quite a few people like Motobins UK selling kits. I got fed up with the black torx screws on the plastics too - replaced them with stainless hex 'button screws'

To me the RS is a techno style looking bike anyway, so I don't see anything wrong putting on screws I can wash down and are road salt corrosion resistant. The main thing about the kits is getting bike specific and getting a good index list 'cos there are lots of fixings with different sizes and lengths.

Some kit dealers advertise big numbers in their parts count, but include every stainless washer - so find out how many bolts/screws are actually in kits when ordering.

There are some Caveats: BMW use steel with an aluminium coating to protect the mag ali parts bolts screw into and do it for a good reason. I've had A4 bolts on for 4 years and removed them, finding no damage to ali threads, but I always grease all threads with a waterproof grease before fitting. Some bolts are high tensile used in 'safety' areas like brakes/steering and wheels - it's best not to replace those.

PS 'Quality' has a big definition. I prefer to put design and reliability at the top of my quality expectation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Dont worry, you will soon forget about the bolts :teeth

·
Registered
749 Posts
Remember when BMW produced the C bikes? they had big issues with Chrome peeling right off the rims. I always heard it was due to very strick German environmental laws regarding chromium, which is a tuff pollutant to deal with. Maybe they have a similar issue here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was born we were still bombing Germany and computers had gears and levers. (Pay back time on the allies?)
P.S. Will no one tell me how to move pictures from the gallery to a post? I know it can't be magic! :eek:ldster:

·
Registered
123 Posts
alanp said:
Will no one tell me how to move pictures from the gallery to a post? I know it can't be magic! :eek:ldster:
No, it's not magic, but it is well documented.

Here are the basic concepts:

There are more than a few ways to get a picture on a post. This is not the only way. First of all, the picture must already exist on the web. Very few forums allow uploads directly to the post. You loaded your picture to the gallery on this website, which is fine. I've learned that it's easier to manage my pictures from a central location, so I upload my pictures to photobucket. There are many picture host websites. Once the picture is on the web, it has an address, just like every other object on the web. I right clicked on your picture, and selected "properties". The address is in the properties (the address begins with 'http' and usually ends with 'jpg'). Once you have the address of your picture, you can place this address in the post so that the post can point to your picture and display it as if it actually exists in the post. On this website, you place the address of the picture between the img tags and the picture shows up. You simply click the yellow button that says 'Insert Image' and put the address in the provided box.

If you subsequently delete your picture from the hosting site, the forum post will display your picture as a little red x in a frame. It is generally considered bad form to delete a hosted picture that is linked to a post.

You can also provide a link to your photo, display your photo as a thumbnail, etc., but I won't go into that here.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
alanp said:
When I was born we were still bombing Germany and computers had gears and levers. (Pay back time on the allies?)
P.S. Will no one tell me how to move pictures from the gallery to a post? I know it can't be magic! :eek:ldster:
...Like Trout said..Photobucket is great...easy!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts