BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a car tire on the back of a K 1300 GT?? … Typically known as going to the Darkside. Constructive comments only please, I’ve had enough of being called a fool from the BMW MOA site

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What the lawyer said on that website is exactly what you expect to hear from the lawyer. If you’ve ever looked into putting a car tire on the back of a motorcycle, you would’ve seen multiple videos with motorcycles riding through corners in the mountains at speed. There seems to be no issue in going from one corner to the other, the crossover is seamless with issue with handling. I’ve seen videos with the GoPro Mounted on the rear of the bike aimed at the rear wheel showing the road contact… And there seems to be actually more rubber on the road than there is with a conventional motorcycle tire, even in the corners.
I am not a novice rider. I’ve got more than 300,000 miles on 14 bikes Of all kinds over 42 years. I was just wondering if anyone had put a car tire on the back of a K 13 GT without having a Sidecar attached

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hey Dave,

Also take a peek over at the Iron Butt website. I won't say lots, but several guys will run a car tire on the rear for long distance riding, although they would probably spend most of their time on the super slab. I saw one up close and in person on the back of an FJR; accompanied by an IBA sticker on the hard luggage of course !!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Geez. I just had a read of that article from the "Law Firm".

One of the paragraphs begins with this sentence:
: Most motorcycle accidents are devastating.

Seems like a little presumptuous statement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In addition to my K1200GT, I've got a Goldwing 1800. I put a Michelin Alpin run-flat tire (which is actually a snow tire) on the rear of the Goldwing and have been happy with it. However, I don't know that the K1300GT has the fender clearance required. You really need to measure that before making the plunge. My Michelin barely fits (deflated) and mounting it was a challenge at the motorcycle shop (who was promised anonymity and was paid in cash, no receipt). You'd also need to know which tire mates with the rim of the K1300GT. There are enough Goldwing users that I had plenty of advance advice.

It also depends how you ride the bike, too. If you're using the K1300GT as a canyon carver, then you might be happier sticking with a conventional sticky motorcycle tire. I use my Goldwing as a long-distance cruiser, mostly on the super-slab, where the car tire is at home. When I replaced tires on the K1200GT, I went with a motorcycle tire. The car tire requires a little more tip-in pressure on a turn but I've never felt it was a problem. You've probably seen the Goldwing rider with a car tire doing the Tail of the Dragon in Deal's Gap way faster than I would dare.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
If you believe that car tires belong on cars, and motorcycle tires belong on motorcycles, then you're entirely correct, and there's no reason to read or comment any further.

But if you're curious about going darkside, then read on.

I have several hundred thousand miles running darkside on a number of different BMWs with great success. For me, the proven advantages (extended life while still being able to drag pegs and better traction on bad surfaces) far outweigh the disadvantages (slightly more countersteering effort).

My 2009 K13GT Long Distance Rally bike (which pulled a 3rd place in the Iron Butt Rally) is currently running an Achilles ATR-K Economist 175/55-17, which replaces the stock 180/55-17 MC tire without any mods. Its 0.9% smaller diameter doesn't interfere with wheel speeds, so ABS, TCS, and cruise control all work just fine. The dealer mechanic (one of a very few I trust with my bikes) test rode it after a major service and was amazed how quickly he forgot it was back there.

I've since picked up a Bridgestone Potenza RE040 175/55-R17 to try, as it seems to have a more rounded Euro profile. I may put that tire onto the K13GT and drop the Economist onto my K12LT, which weighs more with less lean angle. I've also successfully run car tires on my K1200GT and K1600GTL.

Honestly, the only real difficulty I have is in sourcing 175/55-17 car tires. The Potenza is common in Europe but not the USA (I got lucky and found one on eBay), and the Economist seems to come in batches, then gets scarce until they build the next batch. When they are available it's worth picking up a spare at roughly $60. Then again, they last so long that it's not usually an issue.

Whether something like this is right for you is something that only you can decide for yourself.

As they say, your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Wow....A confirmation from Meese. That's a good review right there.

Now on to less controversial topic.....which oil is best:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
Minor update:

I've been looking for a couple more 175/55-R17 Potenza RE040 tires, which are hard to come by in the US. Gotta keep a spare or two on hand so I can change to fresh tires before starting on a 10,000-15,000+ mile LD Rally.

While searching abroad, I found a 185/60-17 Continental VancoContact tire. So I'm having a couple shipped over from the UK.

This would be 3.8% larger diameter than the stock 180/55-17 tire, so it should still fit without any mods. I'll just have to wait until it arrives to see for sure.

If it does work, then I'll pair it with a 120/80-17 Avon RoadRider MKII, which is a front/rear tire that's 4.0% larger diameter than the stock 120/70-17 front, with a deeper 7.5mm tread. That should keep the ABS and TC happy, while cutting my rpms down about 4% at highway speeds. Kind of like adding a 4% overdrive gear.

The goal here is increased longevity and improved range with minimal impacts on acceleration or handling.

The experiment continues...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts