BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Just saying hey
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a couple bikes in a storage unit with no AC power available. Rather than remove the batteries this winter, I'd like to put them on some type of charging setup. That's so I can ride the bikes on the occasional nice winter day here in Central VA.

I thought of using a large deep-cycle RV battery as a power source, running it through a Radio Shack DC-AC converter, then to a Battery Tender. I figured this ought to keep the bikes' batteries up to snuff for a few weeks until I had to take the RV battery home to charge it.

Anyone think of a more elegant system?

Thanks,
Troy

·
Registered
749 Posts
What about a car battery directly connected to the bike 12v to 12 volt. I imagine a car battery ought to keep a bike, or two, or three, charged all winter.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's possible with another battery but the charge would have to be higher than 12 volts or what ever the batteries to be charged are rated at, possibly some kind of DC to DC converter to boost the voltage. The DC to AC thing might be the setup to use.

·
Banned
149 Posts

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Using a larger RV battery and inverter will be very 'lossy' wasting capacity in the larger battery. Both batteries will self discharge when left and that's where the biggest discharge loss will come from.

It's a bad idea to let batteries go to low charge. Providing an alternative energy source from solar or wind or removing the battery is the best thing to do.

Alternatively, save money on building a charging system and buy an Odysee battery which has a much lower rate of self discharge than standard lead acids or gels.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Just ride them.

I'm in Maryland and ride everyday into DC. Coldest day thus far was 15 F at the start and it got up to a blamy 21F by the time I got to work. Even if you only ride once a week the batteries will stay charged.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Troy,

Good luck with the battery charging. I do love the Amherst area and visit it often. You have good taste in motorcycles.

mac

1 - 10 of 10 Posts