BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. K1200rs 2002 25K mi. Was getting ready to go on an errand. Bike started fine, then died. Entire instrument panel dead. Made sure kill switch was ok, still no life, not a peep when hitting starter.

Checked battery full power. now the only thing that appears to have power is the clock. Nothing else. fuses appear to be ok..

What is wrong with this bike? Sidestand switch? Motronics?

Thanks!

Eric

·
Registered
25 Posts
You might check the battery connections, + and - connections. Take them apart, clean all the surfaces with a wire brush, coat everything in dielectric grease (vaseline), and re-tighten.

Check the big + and - cables inside the insulation near the battery, also. (my brother had this ground cable corroded inside the insulation on his airhead recently. Gave him fits just finding it). Best way to find this type of fault is with a volt meter and a straight pin. Keep following the + wires with the pin thru the insulation until you find where the +12v stops. Viola!!

Seeing as how EVERYTHING is dead, it has to be close to the battery, circuit wise.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
+ wire from the battery goes into the electrical box. Would be rather difficult following it.Easier to open the box and go right to the end.

But most probably not necessary, OP's bike is showing typical signs of a bad electrical component at the ignition switch.Either corrosion or a broken wire.In Clymer the how-to remove the electrical component. Or there:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=48100

·
Registered
518 Posts
Start with the easy things: clean the battery terminals on the wiring and battery. Be sure you have a solid ground connection. Is 12V coming into the two fuse blocks? If that all checks out, then I'd wonder about the ignition switch. But my guess is the problem is elsewhere. I'm betting on a bad connection or possibly a popped fuse (not my first choice).

The kill switch only disables the starter. It doesn't shut down the electrical system. That's the ignition switch's job.

If you don't have it, get a copy of the Clymer manual. Without a good wiring diagram, you'll be guessing and hoping - not a good way to diagnose a problem. Cardinal rule of troubleshooting - follow one path until either it shows itself to be OK, or at some point things change from GO to NO-GO. In between GO and NO-GO lies the problem. Hopping around the wiring is a gamble with poor odds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts