BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with my dealer about doing the upgrade to CIP 7.0 yesterday. They are reluctant to do the upgrade because of all the warnings that BMW included with the software. Apparently, the factory Rep must be involved. They will install 7.0 on the parts managers S to get a better idea of the changes before they install it on a customers bike. I guess I will have to wait a bit for their experiment to be completed.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

·
The Gov
660 Posts
See my post in the other threads. Same with me, he was reluctant and said he needed to call NA for a go ahead, which he got fairly quickly. It would be good to not be the first however, since some of my stuff didn't work and they had to go back, reinitialize and clear all the codes. Me likes.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
pdamski said:
I spoke with my dealer about doing the upgrade to CIP 7.0 yesterday. They are reluctant to do the upgrade because of all the warnings that BMW included with the software. Apparently, the factory Rep must be involved. They will install 7.0 on the parts managers S to get a better idea of the changes before they install it on a customers bike. I guess I will have to wait a bit for their experiment to be completed.
:bs: IMHO, I don't think that it's up to the dealer at all. The customer should be told of these warnings, and then the customer should have the final say. PERIOD! :not

When I told my service manager I wanted to update to ver 7...he said, "Cool! :yeah: I'm looking forward to your evaluation.". Now that's a guy that values MY opinion. AND, I value his. It's called, "mutual respect". I just don't think that a lot of dealers "get it". They're freakin' clueless! Oy vey! :banghead

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
philspace said:
See my post in the other threads. Same with me, he was reluctant and said he needed to call NA for a go ahead, which he got fairly quickly. It would be good to not be the first however, since some of my stuff didn't work and they had to go back, reinitialize and clear all the codes. Me likes.
I've been a beta tester all of my life ;)

The warnings in the bulletin are to make sure that the customer is aware that the update may change some of the drivability behavior of the bike. My understanding of the area rep's role is to confirm that the dealer discussed this with the customer, and that the customer understands that the "personality" of the bike may be different. My GT and my S are both getting the update as is Michelle's S. I drove a K1200S this morning that had the update and the differences are very subtle, but noticeable.

The dealer that is updating my bikes is anxious to hear feedback from me as to how the update affected the bikes. I will also share it here, if any changes are noteworthy.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
randy said:
I've been a beta tester all of my life ;)
The bleeding edge is the best place to be, anything else is boring. ;)

I also agree that they changes are subtle, but I believe an improvement at this point. Did you notice the different feel at the start of roll on and roll off at speed as well, say 80 or so in 5th or 6th? Upshifting in lower gears seems to be better as well.

It sounds like they changed the basic structure of the data segment of the code, hence having to force a clearing the entire memory area. I think it was more of a learning experience for the tech on how to do it and force it. He test rode my bike and thought it was great. When he came back from lunch and the SM told him what was wrong he went "I never took the fairing off or touched anything!" :)

This thing could be as much fun as playing with the codes and settings on a VW :wtf

·
Registered
896 Posts
I would imagine that 7.0 will be the standard software on newest production bikes, so why the dealer reluctance?

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
philspace said:
The bleeding edge is the best place to be, anything else is boring. ;)

I also agree that they changes are subtle, but I believe an improvement at this point. Did you notice the different feel at the start of roll on and roll off at speed as well, say 80 or so in 5th or 6th? Upshifting in lower gears seems to be better as well.

It sounds like they changed the basic structure of the data segment of the code, hence having to force a clearing the entire memory area. I think it was more of a learning experience for the tech on how to do it and force it. He test rode my bike and thought it was great. When he came back from lunch and the SM told him what was wrong he went "I never took the fairing off or touched anything!" :)

This thing could be as much fun as playing with the codes and settings on a VW :wtf
Yes the throttle response was smother and much more linear in the part to mid throttle positions. WOT is still the best ;)

Tuning by electronics is quite a new bit of fun. The diesel truck business is where it is at right now. My new Duramax is rated at 360 horsepower and 650 ft/lbs of torque. This is up 10% from last year, mostly by software changes. There are no less than a dozen manufacturers of various software programmers and/or controllers that will allow you to program in 50-150 more horsepower and 100-300 ft/lbs more torque. With software you can give a modern diesel enough horsepower to shred transmissions or destroy the engine. A modest gain of 60 horsepower and 100 ft/lbs of torque is very easy to get and usually yields better fuel mileage. All achieved by plugging into the OBDII port for a few minutes, no tools, no dirty hands.

·
The Gov
660 Posts
I think it's cool. They were sort of poo poo'ing the idea of the computer being involved with the windshield, but I know that I would rather read a fault code and know that I really don't have to remove all that tupperware for no reason.

Just think, pretty soon we will be like the kids with VW's, publishing VB scripts to reprogram our bikes and hacking shit all over the place :p

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Programming

I had a Power Commander on my Harley. Had it set up on a dyno for optimal HP and when I got on it, there were beautiful orange flames coming out of the pipes. Not that I would find that attractive on my GT!!

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

·
Registered
66 Posts
I know the dealer in question.

I really believe they are concerned because they don't want any unhappy cusotmers. If BMW felt that the warning was necessary--then they want to understand the nature of the warning before inflicting the upgrade on customers.

I also appreciate the fact that they want to test it on a shop bike before doing it to customer machines. I just think that they are being responsible and I don't see it as though they are acting as a gate keeper.

I am happy to wait to hear their report prior to doing it to my $20k machine. I like it now. The upgrade should make it better--why should I have to find out by testing it when the dealer is going to do it for me?

-mark=

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not complaining about the dealer. Just sharing how the new software is being distributed. Mark, I assume that you got the same response when you inquired.

Pete D.
Simi Valley

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
philspace said:
I think it's cool. They were sort of poo poo'ing the idea of the computer being involved with the windshield, but I know that I would rather read a fault code and know that I really don't have to remove all that tupperware for no reason.

Just think, pretty soon we will be like the kids with VW's, publishing VB scripts to reprogram our bikes and hacking shit all over the place :p
FWIW the GT update caused a windshield fault on my bike as well. Once the fault was cleared the windshield operated normally. The update went smoothly on my '05 K1200s and Michelle's '06 K1200S, but the GT had to be "forced" as the GT1 reported that it was not eligible for the update. Forcing the update is much more time consuming, but once it was done the bike was fine.

The changes at the low end off throttle are very noticeable on all three bikes. All three clearly have a completely different personality with the new software. We'll definitely be work them out next week at CCR - it will be interesting to see how they have changed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
pdamski said:
I'm not complaining about the dealer. Just sharing how the new software is being distributed. Mark, I assume that you got the same response when you inquired.

Pete D.
Simi Valley
Pete, I know. I was responding to someone else who thought that the dealer was not being reasonable.

Yes, they told me the same thing. I am sure that if I insisted on being a tester they would do the upgrade for me. I'd rather wait and get the report. They're supposed to be the experts -- not I.

-mark=

·
The Gov
660 Posts
randy said:
FWIW the GT update caused a windshield fault on my bike as well. Once the fault was cleared the windshield operated normally. The update went smoothly on my '05 K1200s and Michelle's '06 K1200S, but the GT had to be "forced" as the GT1 reported that it was not eligible for the update. Forcing the update is much more time consuming, but once it was done the bike was fine.

The changes at the low end off throttle are very noticeable on all three bikes. All three clearly have a completely different personality with the new software. We'll definitely be work them out next week at CCR - it will be interesting to see how they have changed.
Same on my end, the update had to be forced as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update!!

I went to the dealer this morning and spoke with the Parts manager about CIP 7.0. He has an S and was the guinea pig for the new software. I aked him how he liked it and his response was "this is the best engine management software upgrade that the factory has ever come out with." I went to make an appointment for the install and found that they had already scheduled me for next Saturday.

Now I have to get the grease stains out from the polish sausage that attacked my shirt while I was at the dealer.

Pete D.
Simi Valley, CA

·
The Gov
660 Posts
Went for a quick AM ride on the fun roads. V7 is great! Much smoother when decelerating into a curve, that magic spot that you had to sit on where it shut the fuel off seems to be gone.

Unfortunately, the GD accessory lead for the GPS, still powers down when you turn on the ignition after a fill up and also at load shed when the starter kicks in :banghead

1 - 20 of 24 Posts