BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped to check on status of my bike yesterday on my lunch hour and when looking over the bike (they were just putting on the panels after extensive repairs for oil leaks, clutch, NavII install, etc.) and noticed a scratch on the left panel (about 10 inches long) extending along the top.

I immediately pointed it out to the service tech and reported to the manager. He said he would look into it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night. I'm going back to shop today to find out what "fix" they intend on doing. Should I settle for touch up paint (if they can make it disappear) or should I insist on new panel. It the large right side panel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Losing sleep?

Please, it's a piece of plastic, chill a bit. I'm sure they will fix it to your satisfaction. It's only a matter of time until you drop it in your garage anyway, maybe tis will hold off that event! ;-))

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeha, done that...

Bobmws said:
Please, it's a piece of plastic, chill a bit. I'm sure they will fix it to your satisfaction. It's only a matter of time until you drop it in your garage anyway, maybe tis will hold off that event! ;-))
That already happend last year, dropped it in garage and replaced the panel so this one was bran-spankin new.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Scratch...

I immediately pointed it out to the service tech and reported to the manager. He said he would look into it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night. I'm going back to shop today to find out what "fix" they intend on doing. Should I settle for touch up paint (if they can make it disappear) or should I insist on new panel. It the large right side panel.[/QUOTE]

New one if it does not look right to you. They did it, they have insurance plus are liable.
I just had the same thing done on my immaculate pick-up truck grill. If my body man can't fix it where you can't see it, it is going to cost my mechanic $300.00 for a new one.
The scratch is only 4-5 inches long, but gouged right down into the plastic/paint.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That's easy..If it's actually in the paint... a new panel.

03k12RS said:
I stopped to check on status of my bike yesterday on my lunch hour and when looking over the bike (they were just putting on the panels after extensive repairs for oil leaks, clutch, NavII install, etc.) and noticed a scratch on the left panel (about 10 inches long) extending along the top.

I immediately pointed it out to the service tech and reported to the manager. He said he would look into it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night. I'm going back to shop today to find out what "fix" they intend on doing. Should I settle for touch up paint (if they can make it disappear) or should I insist on new panel. It the large right side panel.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I doubt it can be touched up so as to look as new. I would insist on the panel being replaced. When I take my bike in for any service I demand only one thing, that my bike is returned to me in exactly the same condition it was brought in.

·
Registered
878 Posts
03k12RS said:
I had a small panel scratched by the mechanic at Honda Northwest in Columbus, Ohio. The panel replacement was ordered before they called me on the phone to tell me about the scratch.

I've had the large side panels painted on a 98 a couple of times to take care of extensive scratches from low speed low sides. The work was done in Columbus at IBS, a foreign car body shop. The work was perfect and cost a fraction of what a new panel would have been.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mines. Found couple knicks around the screw area on the lower belly pan. I knew they had to remove the panel. I left it alone since it was not that noticeable. A scratch as big as you're describing, would not be acceptable to me. I would have them replace it.

My recent visit to the shop for the update ECU, I removed all the panels before bringing the bike in. I rode the bike there with no panels.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't think a touch-up has any chance of looking decent. It could be repainted, but that may not hold up as well as an original panel or fade the same. I think a new panel is the only way to go. I'm sure the shop's insurance has a deductible higher than the cost of the panel, and even if they made a claim it would likely raise their rates.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
new is the only way.......they never repaint anymore....even insur co. knows that....infact they know better to even ask......

·
Registered
332 Posts
They need to repair or replace your panel

Insist they replace the panel or pay to have it repainted by Bavarian Cycle Paint in Pinon Hills, CA. However, I recently had my seat cowl fixed (knocked it off the bike at speed), and the cost was $200.00 for some minor repairs and a repaint.

Needless to say, from now on, you are going to have to take off all the panels yourself before taking it in. This is what I do, and consider it the cost of getting some dealership work done, and also use it as an opportunity to do a good cleaning.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This isn't what you want to hear so this is for others reading this thread: I advise friends to buy used bikes that are pre-scratched. Then when you (or someone else) eventually scratches it your blood pressure is unaffected...I spent years trying to keep cars perfect and now find no pleasure in it.

Cheers,
Jerry

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all replies, dealer says bike is ready to pick up from shop.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Got home from ice-fishing and snow mobiling and have a message on answering machine stating bike is ready for pickup. I'll go in tomorrow to check it out and post outcome (not sure yet what they did, they didn't leave that in the message). I'll post a followup after seeing bike.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer repair of scratch panel done.

Went to dealer to check on repaired panel. Perfect match by sending panel out to body shop for repainting. No distinguishable demark and clearcoat overspray blends perfect. Now just need dry roads for pulling my bike out of shop. I plan on getting digital camera to snap some photos and will post after camera purchase.

·
Registered
764 Posts
03k12RS said:
Went to dealer to check on repaired panel. Perfect match by sending panel out to body shop for repainting. No distinguishable demark and clearcoat overspray blends perfect. Now just need dry roads for pulling my bike out of shop. I plan on getting digital camera to snap some photos and will post after camera purchase.
Not a new panel, but you did better than I did at Cliff's BMW in CT. Fours days after I left the bike for service and a day before I was scheduled to pick it up, they called me to it wouldn't be finished until the next week and, by the way, did I know my fairing was cracked? It wasn't cracked when I took it in but they said they didn't do it. I got nada. Guess I could have sued, but ...

·
Registered
362 Posts

Good deal. With a professional paint job that you can't tell has been painted, sounds like you are good to go. Glad it worked out for you.

·
Registered
362 Posts
User error

allenclarkson said:
You misread my post. Nothing worked out - Cliff denied that his shop was responsible. It was the kind of crack that could only have come from something hitting the side of the bike pretty hard - like somebody moving bikes and banging one into the side of mine.

It would help if I quoted the right person :) I ment to reply to Joel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts