BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a ride across the Cherahaulass Skyway and Deals Gap.

Ran across a little ice on the road on the N. Carolina side of the Skyway - Nothing too bad,
but I was really ripping it up on the Tennesee side when all of a sudden I saw it...oops, time to slow down.

About a dozen bikes up at Deals Gap today...some crazy old man on a KTM 525 Super Motard was flying through there, but using both lanes - not sure how he's lived that long. :hanged

My K1200S did pretty well up there...surprised a couple of the sportbike riders that routinely do track days. The front end up came up a few times, getting on it, exiting uphill curves...hey where'd my steering go? :teeth

Anyway, a very nice break from ol' man winter. :yeah:

·
Registered
528 Posts
sportrider said:
Just back from a ride across the Cherahaulass Skyway and Deals Gap.

Ran across a little ice on the road on the N. Carolina side of the Skyway - Nothing too bad,
but I was really ripping it up on the Tennesee side when all of a sudden I saw it...oops, time to slow down.

About a dozen bikes up at Deals Gap today...some crazy old man on a KTM 525 Super Motard was flying through there, but using both lanes - not sure how he's lived that long. :hanged

My K1200S did pretty well up there...surprised a couple of the sportbike riders that routinely do track days. The front end up came up a few times, getting on it, exiting uphill curves...hey where'd my steering go? :teeth

Anyway, a very nice break from ol' man winter. :yeah:
You live in motorcycle heaven. Enjoy the weather while you can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know the old man, he is over 60 and probably one of the 10 fastes guy's on the gap. I've never seen him use both lanes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in Alabama. I can't wait for my time off and the weather to coincide so that I can head out to the Cherohala and Deal's Gap.

My Avatar is from last summer when I had a VFR.

·
Registered
310 Posts
sportrider said:
...some crazy old man on a KTM 525 Super Motard was flying through there, but using both lanes - not sure how he's lived that long.
I know that guy too - not his name but I rode with him. Met him on the last overlook and then we ran the Foothills Parkway together. I learned a LOT following him and I was following him with an ever increasing distance as he ran away form me. That ole man was absolutely AWESOME! On the gap he held one of the straightest lines I have ever seen and he never even got close to the center line.

·
Registered
209 Posts
sportrider said:
...surprised a couple of the sportbike riders that routinely do track days.
You'ld be surprised how often I've done that on a KR. These bikes really handle well on the street and the roll on power is teriffic.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Deals Gap

Why do you torture us northern riders like this :( I won't get any of my bikes out of the garage for a while yet with the snow, ice and salt on the roads. Enjoy the riding :tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gennisa said:
Why do you torture us northern riders like this :( I won't get any of my bikes out of the garage for a while yet with the snow, ice and salt on the roads. Enjoy the riding :tim
Yeah, but when we have several months of near 100 degree/95% humidity days in the summer you can taunt us with impunity. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts