BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
GT or RS...ditched the LT (not enough time with for 'family' touring, so I'm going for more speed and handling) and don't like any of the new styles. Narrowed down to a 2003 K1200RS or K1200GT...'bout the same price if I get the RS with a RW chip, Wilburs, bags, and backrest. I'm mostly a 2-6 hour riding tourer, I also try to get in two or three week-long tours and some camping. Just can't decide which bike works best for me.

Does the GT offer any major changes besides handlebars? Are the system cases on the RS bigger? Got any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
motorradman said:
Does the GT offer any major changes besides handlebars? Are the system cases on the RS bigger? Got any suggestions?
Thanks
The RS and GT use the same system cases. Painted lids on the GT.
The GT has an electric windshield and heated seat.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Bags are the same size. With the GT, the lids are color-matched to the bike. Both have heated grips, the GT also has a heated seat. Windscreen is adjustable electrically on the GT, but I see little advantage to the ability to move the screen while in motion. I do have the screen down on mine unless it's raining, then I move it up because in the up position, it will clear the rain off the visor. The stock windscreen for the GT is larger, too. Looks better down... The RS mirrors provide a better view (over the stock GT ones). The GT is probably going to give better protection in the rain and cold weather. Not a whole lot, but noticible.

I believe the cruise control was optional for the RS in 2003, but if it's not on the bike, you might want to consider that option. It's nice on long trips

Wilburs will definatly provide a better ride. Rebuild time is 30k for them, which is a bit longer than the nominal 24k for the stock shocks...and they aren't normally rebuilt. They can be, but they're a PITA to do for suspension shops.

That's about it. No major differences, but some to consider.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
362 Posts
Razel said:
I believe the cruise control was optional for the RS in 2003, but if it's not on the bike, you might want to consider that option. It's nice on long trips.
Cruise and heated grips were standard in 03 on the RS and GT.
They were options in 04.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Coming from a LT as you are you might want to go with the GT rather than the RS. The GT will give you more of a LT feel and the heated seats, electric windscreen and better riding poosition could be important to you as you get familiar with the bike.

I have a 2004 GT that I added a bunch of items to it to increase storage (jumbo side case lids) and comfort (Russell Seat with heat and driver backrest) among many others. The net result is I have a bike with a lot of capacity, great for two-up touring and when I take the bags off I have a sport bike.

However, either choice - I'm sure you will be happy as the K1200 RS or GT are great bikes :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
If going from the Lt!!!

Just my thoughts here but if you are going from a LT to something I would think you prefer to be out of the wind and elements a little more. Both are great bikes and you can always accesorize the RS into a GT at a later time by just adding the extra wind protection stuff. I would go with the GT and add the performance stuff as you feel the need to. There is my 2 cents good luck I'm sure you will be happy with either bike.

·
Registered
768 Posts
motorradman said:
Folks,
GT or RS...ditched the LT (not enough time with for 'family' touring, so I'm going for more speed and handling) and don't like any of the new styles. Narrowed down to a 2003 K1200RS or K1200GT...'bout the same price if I get the RS with a RW chip, Wilburs, bags, and backrest. I'm mostly a 2-6 hour riding tourer, I also try to get in two or three week-long tours and some camping. Just can't decide which bike works best for me.

Thanks
If the suspenders are pretty new, I would go with the RS. I have one and prefer the slightly forward ergos that are part of the stock set up. Also the chip would be nice, these are $1500 upgrades that should make a nice difference.

BTW plan on changing the horn (stocker is an insult to manhood) and get some bright bulbs and auxilliary lights if you plan to go out after dark.

My 2cs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For me, cruise control is very important. If both have it, then choose the one with your color preference. The differences have pretty much been described here.

Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts