BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any? I have 2500 miles on my '05 K1200S and am not sure when I can/should switch to synthetic and which brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Mogan said:
Is there any? I have 2500 miles on my '05 K1200S and am not sure when I can/should switch to synthetic and which brand.
I put synthetic in mine at 1000 miles. You will hear all sorts of answers to this question. If your motor isn't using any oil between changes then its ok to switch. I use the BMW full synthetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
Mogan said:
Is there any? I have 2500 miles on my '05 K1200S and am not sure when I can/should switch to synthetic and which brand.
My dealer put Castrol GPS, which is semi-synthetic, on my K12S at the 600 miles service. Now at 4000 miles it haven't used any oil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Any facts showing "regular" oil better?

I cannot believe there is an actual discussion about the benefits of syn over non-syn in this day of high and higher performance everything.

Non-syn is cheaper, period. That's its only benefit past break-in. How much is your K12S worth?

I've used RedLine (and even Mobil 1) in Honda cars, Ford trucks, BMW cars and now my K12S. In 23 years I have never worn out an engine with routine oil changes (3k-5k miles) 'course everything ELSE wears out, like suspension parts, etc. & I want a new toy now and then. But compression checks have consistantly been within spec at 150k miles and 200k miles.

My M'cycle race instructor changes his non-syn oil every 200 miles! A bit of a fanatic but his very, very, old Dodge van is approaching 300k miles on the original engine... Yeah he is weird... but with syn. (at 5X's the price) he could go 400 miles between changes at least!! Syn stays fully functional longer.

With a syn oil I BELIEVE my K12S can tolerate high temps and max revs longer... Belief makes it so, no?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Sharkalec said:
I cannot believe there is an actual discussion about the benefits of syn over non-syn in this day of high and higher performance everything.

Non-syn is cheaper, period. That's its only benefit past break-in. How much is your K12S worth?

I've used RedLine (and even Mobil 1) in Honda cars, Ford trucks, BMW cars and now my K12S. In 23 years I have never worn out an engine with routine oil changes (3k-5k miles) 'course everything ELSE wears out, like suspension parts, etc. & I want a new toy now and then. But compression checks have consistantly been within spec at 150k miles and 200k miles.

My M'cycle race instructor changes his non-syn oil every 200 miles! A bit of a fanatic but his very, very, old Dodge van is approaching 300k miles on the original engine... Yeah he is weird... but with syn. (at 5X's the price) he could go 400 miles between changes at least!! Syn stays fully functional longer.

With a syn oil I BELIEVE my K12S can tolerate high temps and max revs longer... Belief makes it so, no?

ppl who dis synthetic oil simply do not have enough info....or they could be an ostritch :leer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
What about the clutch ?
I have a 00 XX and if I used full synth. oil I got clutch slippage when riding HARD. I weigh 250lbs and track the XX. I use dino/synth. and it's a great combo. I'm hard on the bike for riding. Does the K12 have any issues like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
sportrider said:
Automotive synthetic contains friction modifiers that don't work well with motorcycle(wet) clutches. As long as you use a motorcycle specific synth oil,
there should no issues with the clutch slipping.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement. My previous bike (a Suzuki) experienced clutch slip when I used full synthetic MC oil. It wasn't extreme, but I could feel the slip. When I switched the oil the problem went away. I'm by no means suggesting that synth causes clutch slippage always, just noting that it did on my last bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
sportrider said:
Automotive synthetic contains friction modifiers that don't work well with motorcycle(wet) clutches. As long as you use a motorcycle specific synth oil,
there should no issues with the clutch slipping.
What Brand do you recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
davidk63 said:
I'm not sure I agree with your statement. My previous bike (a Suzuki) experienced clutch slip when I used full synthetic MC oil. It wasn't extreme, but I could feel the slip. When I switched the oil the problem went away. I'm by no means suggesting that synth causes clutch slippage always, just noting that it did on my last bike.
I 2nd that.. I used full synth. in the XX and slipped bad.. then did the blend and the slippign went away.... I think I'll stick to the blends.. best of both worlds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
XXFirefighter said:
I 2nd that.. I used full synth. in the XX and slipped bad.. then did the blend and the slippign went away.... I think I'll stick to the blends.. best of both worlds
What blend do you recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
13tay22 said:
What blend do you recommend?
I dunno, when I do my first oil change in my k12s when I get it I'll look and see.. it'll be most likely the bmw natural/synth. blend IF they have one.. I'm sure they do..

I LOVE the MOTOUL blend.. I may use that too...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top