BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everybody use? I see some very low price tools and moderately expensive tools are available. Most I would do is turn off and reschedule service reminders although I may need other functions? Going to split purchase with friend who has a 2010 GT while I have a 2011 S. I am new to BMW service requirements so if you could help me out with tips and suggestions you would be helping me. I am in Seattle and dealers seem to have all the service locked up and I have always serviced my own bikes.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
400 Posts
How about reading through this site. They are the best of the tools out there and will let you do most all BMW bikes with data read out. Does far more than just reset your service reminder. You will need a garage computer PC type. Or just take your laptop to the garage with you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Two main options are Motoscan and GS-911. I have a Motoscan and it does exactly what I need. As Beech said, google is your friend.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What does everybody use? I see some very low price tools and moderately expensive tools are available. Most I would do is turn off and reschedule service reminders although I may need other functions? Going to split purchase with friend who has a 2010 GT while I have a 2011 S. I am new to BMW service requirements so if you could help me out with tips and suggestions you would be helping me. I am in Seattle and dealers seem to have all the service locked up and I have always serviced my own bikes.
depends what you want to do...

the South African guys that do the GS911 are making head way on features worth having (but painfully slowly) till then, its very expensive for what it does (until they can code in secondhanded modules there's little it does to warrant the $500 to $800 it costs)

for $100 you can get high level access to most of what you need and the guy developing knows his stuff (clearly seems to be some cross fertilisation between WG soft and Hex these days)

of course full dealer ISTA P is sitting on servers all over the world to download for free.... but the comms cable / device you need at a sensible price is a well guarded secret .... and before paying 300 to 1200 dollars on a ICOM v3 copy or other J2354 complaint bit of kit they've recently invented a new comms protocol DoIP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought MotoScan. Great for what I need.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too am new to BMWs, I just picked up my k1200r Sport and love it. I am going to go with the GS 911. One or two services and the tool has paid for itself. Why get caught out there with an inferior tool and wind up having to go to the dealership.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts