BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm REALLY curious...Was it true love from the very first test ride or did it have to develop over time? {like an arranged marriage-LOL}

If it did take you a while to really love your bike, I would be interested to know approximately how long (few days, weeks, years) and what were the issues or characteristics of the bike that you had to "grow to love" or at least learn to tune out/ignore?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm REALLY curious...Was it true love from the very first test ride or did it have to develop over time? {like an arranged marriage-LOL}

If it did take you a while to really love your bike, I would be interested to know approximately how long (few days, weeks, years) and what were the issues or characteristics of the bike that you had to "grow to love" or at least learn to tune out/ignore?

I have always drooled over the K1200's, especially the LT's. The RS sitting on the honda dealers lot for 2500 had may attention. I test rode it and liked it, but didnt love it. Scary fast (to me.. I'm comparing to my last bike.. an 86 honda shadow 1100cc), little too tall at the inseam, etc. That was 1500 miles ago. I was in love with it by the end of the Saturday after I bought it (I bought it on a Friday). I still feel it will out accelerate my guardian angle from anything but 5th or 6th.. but I LOVE the highway passing ability.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Funny you should ask. I bought my 2001 K1200 used from a large seller of used bikes. I was looking for a replacement for my 98 Triumph Sprint. The K1200 was the only sport touring bike they had with bags. Initially I was turned off by the low riding position, the "comfort windshield" which directed the air directly to my helmet making my head buffet at speed, and "comfort seat" which slammed my twigs and berries into the tank. However, I had no idea what a great bike I bought. As I began to become one with the bike through daily commute riding and occasional road trips I realized quickly what a fantastic bike it is. I totally love it and feel it is the best bike I have ever owned. I fixed the two problems with aftermarket Ztechnik windshield and a Corbin seat. This is the perfect bike for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
The indicator arrangement drives me nuts - it did last time I had a BMW - takes me ages to get used to it and then I go back to J-Bikes and I get equally nuts.

I love the spread of power - so easy to ride - gears don't matter

It's a big lump but it never feels like it is

I would like an earlier K100RS 16V or at a push a K1100RS but they seem to be going up in prices so a cheap K1200RS was a good cheap entry back into the BMW world

I have Champagne taste but a beer money budget

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought on a whim. Took almost 2 Plus years to really get comfortable with it. Mainly because I don't ride a lot. Way different than any bike I have every owned. Totally superior to my 84 Honda V65 Magna. Was tired of getting beat up.
Went on a 3 day ride last month with my cousin that lives in Washington. He brought down his 2017 B1600. I live in Oregon and we rode Forrest service roads to Eastern Oregon and the coast range. We had a blast. I put more miles on my bike in 3 days than total time on it last summer. I also pushed it far harder than I ever had before and now know what a beast of a bike it really is. It ran flawlessly and gave the impression it had plenty left to give. Hit the power band more than once and speed limits became suggestions. Have a real good feel for the suspension and handling after that adventure. So yeah, took a while but damn I do love this thing.
Fun Note. The B1600 Has a speed limiter. Hits the wall at 101mph. 03 K1200RS Don't. Just saying:devil:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

A few days ago on my 65th i got my second BMW a 2008 K1200GT , beautiful bike , immaculate shape , from an older guy like me . 49,000 km ( 30000 miles ). Had many bikes , 77 Yamaha DT , Honda 750 , Honda CB900. Honda 350Xl, but now do not do much driving just short drives an hour or so with the wife.
My first BMW was a 1987 K100RT... ( 66,000 km ) I am giving that one away to my son .... a very reliable bike ....had it for many many years ...only once it did not start and I fixed the starter myself....tires.. oil.. battery...basic stuff ...most of it done myself 30 years or reliability . ( very strong engine ...open in third gear and hang on)

This new 2008 1200 gt is making me nervous when i read the reliability issues and cost of servicing .....some things never change my 87 seat was changed to a Corbin and this 2008 has the same poor support seat issue. But it sure looks nice . Wish me luck

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
From one old guy to another, ride it like ya stole it. :grin. Don't know about you but these damned things can bring out the adolescents in ya that you didn't know you still had in ya.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your 03 K1200RS is more reliable than my 2008 GT . I agree with you ..both bikes with no bags are fun at certain speeds:wink. A speed limiter is like a cow with a leg attached to its head ....!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts

I had got permission from the wife to buy a bike so I test rode all sorts of bikes that year “1998” the ST1100 was my choice right up until I walked into the Bmw shop here in Tulsa Atlas. Anyway I didn’t even need to ride it I knew right there it was the bike for me. To this day I think it’s the most beautiful bike out there. Not a sharp edge on her. She was red and died a horrible death but had 140K on the odometer

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve own two K75 bikes, a 90 and I 94. I also used to be a BMW bike tech. The K75 is like the Honda Civic of bikes, it boring, kinda looks stupid, and has all the power of a kid in a radio flyer. That said I do like them for their simplicity. I’ve never loved them and I don’t think I ever will but I will continue to ride them because they are a god damn great commuter bike and easy to tour with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
"Just have a quick look"

But it was red, so I bought it. Rode it home (about 75mi) with either a bad plug or wire - changed both out and SHAZAM I had a genuine K1200RS. And it was red. Eventually had to do the clutch job, and rebuild the Ohlin suspension (@66000 mi), but any work done is worth it. What a machine. Who needs all those gears?:wink Previous bike (many years back) was an R90/6 which, as most will know, up and down on the rear suspension, and plenty of brake dive. None of that with The Locomotive for sure. I think I'll keep it.

Besides - it's RED!

I would like a better headlight - if any of you have ideas?

·
Registered
135 Posts
F1Boss,
See if you can squeeze an HID Projector in there. They aint cheap and it's a little work to get it all to fit but once you see what they do for a dark twisty road thru the woods full of deer ready to jump out of the bushes, you won't ever go back to stock lights. They are doing some better LEDs now but the fact is an LED bulb is marginally operable with reflectors designed for a Halogen bulb.

Morimoto pretty much leads the industry. I'm running a pair of Mini H1s with the 35 ballists, High and lows in both on my K 1200 S. I stayed with the plane white bulbs because those weird colors just piss people off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The '02 K12RS is the 7th BMW for me - KRT, KRS (rear-ended), KRS, K11RS, R11GS then the K12... K11 was nice but a PITA for idle / vibes / no 6th gear so I then went with the R11GS ... enjoyed that apart from all the bad design points (cam chain idlers, snapping clutch release levers, FD bearings, melted ignition sensor wires stranding me, crap headlight, overheating in queues, surging ... got the idea yet?) so when the K12 came up in great condition I took it on & haven't regretted it yet. I'm sort of thinking that at the time it was a bit like the top-of-the-fleet feel, overengineered just to make it last & be a statement for the brand (I know the guys with i-ABS will be disagreeing with me now! ... and yes I've got that too, and a spare modulator for when I need parts :p)

So - sort of grown to love it, didn't take much :smile_big - but it may be my last BMW; the modern ones give me the same 'CAD-CAMed to within an inch of its life' feeling I ended up with having the R1100. Too much dainty parts in critical places (never broke a clutch arm on a K, never seen frames snapping gearbox mounts off, never needed teflon wires on the engine 'cos it can get hot enough to melt normal wiring). And all that is before havng to consider running all the electronics longer-term.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lafs

I had a couple of sports bike - bigger and faster each time.
The first time a saw a K1200S I thought it was beautiful and scary. Then I rode and I realised that it is beautiful and scary.
So flexible, so much power, fabulous handling.
Still in love.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
it was love at first sight. 1998 red it was the first new bike I ever bought and I still think its the most beautiful bike out there though it had its problems she was beautiful

·
Registered
2 Posts
Recently purchased my new-to-me 2002 K1200RS with 9400 mi. I’ve owned a number of BMW bikes ranging from a ‘71 R75/5 to a 2010 K1300S, and for where I am in life the K12RS is perfect for me. I love the ride and looks and the engineering details of this era of BMWs. Had one on my short list for several years and jumped when I found this one. So glad I did 👍

1 - 20 of 25 Posts