BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just added akro can & ken's "race" filters. any word on differences in flow between these filters & evo's?

·
Registered
324 Posts
keithM5 said:
just added akro can & ken's "race" filters. any word on differences in flow between these filters & evo's?
did you mean "ken" or "k&n?" if you meant k&n, not much difference between our replacemnt filters and k&n (both add minimal horsepower but are cleanable). now if you are comparing to our race airflow system, then it is a big difference. with our race airflow system you will pick up 5-6 rwhp (11 rwhp on an "r" model) along with improved throttle response and better drivability.

·
Registered
164 Posts
evoluzione said:
did you mean "ken" or "k&n?" if you meant k&n, not much difference between our replacemnt filters and k&n (both add minimal horsepower but are cleanable). now if you are comparing to our race airflow system, then it is a big difference. with our race airflow system you will pick up 5-6 rwhp (11 rwhp on an "r" model) along with improved throttle response and better drivability.
Ok... now I'm curious...
If the S makes more hp then the R with the ram air.. how does the R make more hp then the S with your filters? just curious is all.. I'll be placing orders soon for the race system and akra full Ti system :) Bike is approx 1 week away...

·
Registered
324 Posts
XXFirefighter said:
Ok... now I'm curious...
If the S makes more hp then the R with the ram air.. how does the R make more hp then the S with your filters? just curious is all.. I'll be placing orders soon for the race system and akra full Ti system :) Bike is approx 1 week away...
the "r" is neutered from the factory (only one air intake). our kit converts it to dual air inlets (just like the "s") so it gains back the lost h.p..

·
Registered
164 Posts
evoluzione said:
the "r" is neutered from the factory (only one air intake). our kit converts it to dual air inlets (just like the "s") so it gains back the lost h.p..
cool...
and THATS why I'm gonna buy from this d00d ! Fucker knows his shit !

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't trust K&N airfilters. They appear to be made of cotton fiber and after usage and washing the fibers seperate and very small holes develop in the filter media. This will let small dust particles pass through. This has been my son's experience with the K&N filter he ran on his truck. I removed it and installed a good quality Wix or Purolator. Stick with the BMW filter or a known good quality aftermarket filter. I think the K&N is only a gimik and may damage your engine.

What is the purpose of posting obscenities on this web site? Are you trying to impress me?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yes, please keep it clean, even though you meant it as a compliment...your gonna scare poor Ken off!

As for K&N, someone on the CBR 1000 site showed a dyno where they actually lost ponies, but with the BMC filters gained ponies. I believe Ken uses the BMC filters, but with his kit, you eliminate the noise tubes and for the R, change it to a dual air set-up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
wastedspark said:
What is the purpose of posting obscenities on this web site? Are you trying to impress me?
I am so sorry I may have offeneded you...

Let me rephrase my statement...

and THATS why I'm gonna buy from this gentleman ! This individual knows his facts !

·
"Alpha Squirrel" and nutcracker.
2,029 Posts
New Wunderlich Option

Check out the Wunderlich "Power Inlet Kit" in the new 'Caranguejeira' update catalog on BMW of Santa Cruz County's site http://www.bmwscruz.com/ . Cool intake option for the KR besides the 'EVO' kit. 2t

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry about confusing post on filters

the start of the thread should've mentioned that i wanted t know the difference between the evo race unit (which i bought from ken's place) & the cone type K&N filter. sorry!

so the evo race filter are BMC filters? great, cuz that's what i run on my cbr & i've heard nothing but good things about them. i do buy the logic that the "ram air" effect is holding back the motor until to get to 100+ MPH. not an airflow expert but it just seems to make sense.

also, i've had great luck w/the K&N car filters in my E39 M5. cleaned up quite easily & quickly but only had to do it once. they do not yet have filters for my new M5 however

·
contributor
4,827 Posts
keithM5 said:
the start of the thread should've mentioned that i wanted t know the difference between the evo race unit (which i bought from ken's place) & the cone type K&N filter. sorry!

so the evo race filter are BMC filters? great, cuz that's what i run on my cbr & i've heard nothing but good things about them. i do buy the logic that the "ram air" effect is holding back the motor until to get to 100+ MPH. not an airflow expert but it just seems to make sense.

also, i've had great luck w/the K&N car filters in my E39 M5. cleaned up quite easily & quickly but only had to do it once. they do not yet have filters for my new M5 however
No, not BMC. AFE makes Ken's filters.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I did just a quick search on the internet and here is what I found for any one who wants an aftermarket air filter
http://www.rc51.org/dyno/bmc.htm

This is just one instance but I was also advised by the company distributing the Laser Hot Cam exhaust system that I have, NOT to install other then the original air filters. You guys decide on your own what works for you.

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have K&N-filter cutted sloping like that. The problem is, that it looks so dirty after 5000km, that i have to wash also between services.'

·
Registered
29 Posts
Eka said:
I have K&N-filter cutted sloping like that. The problem is, that it looks so dirty after 5000km, that i have to wash also between services.'

hmm, nice filter. Interesting position. Do you ride the bike in the wet?
I always wondered about Turbo bikes with low filter positions in the wet.

How much boost do you run?

ken
(jealous)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, i ride in the wet also - if i had to. The rubber pipe from the filter is in small angle. Most of the filtering surface is in the back side. I also cutted that pipe after that picture to get it a little further inside. The end of the filter touched groung first. It's a little bit more in shelter now. I have used 0,7-0,9 bar. Can't get much more out from that. The turbo is quite small and driveability is good due that. My clutch is slipping and i get STM slipping clutch assembled, but doesn't have stronger spring yet and the new plates are also waiting for that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts