BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well all,
I am faced with a dilema. I've had a couple of back surgeries over the last 2 years. I sold my beloved MX bike (ride every weekend up north with my son) and I picked up a K-bike last summer...got her running but have put very few miles on it.
I really want to ride dirt bikes again (and this K isn't very comfortable on my back) so i think i am gonna sell her...the dilema is whether to sell it whole or to part it out...
If i sell whole, how much is it worth with 27k on it and everything functioning? If i can squeak 1500-ish out of it i will sell whole, if not worth that much i'll part it out this winter till i have enough to get another MX...needs new rubber and that's about it...about the only think i've done is added the clear windscreen and purchased a very nice complete exhaust system for it.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WayneDW said:
What year is it?
By the way, 27,000 may be a lot of miles on a dirt bike but it is barely broken in on a BMW.
yes, i know it's not very many miles for an '88.
$1500(ish) may be a bit unrealistic (perhaps not) but having parted a few bikes out before i think i could part it out and get pretty close (just such a p.i.t.a)

·
Registered
305 Posts
1500 seems low, I'd ask at least 2500. The S is the most desirable of the K75's, and yours looks to be in pretty decent shape. And after parting it out you would still have a bunch of oddball pieces cluttering up your garage. Your offspring won't have a clue what they are and send them the landfill after you croak.

·
Registered
153 Posts
willing to help

You are delusional if you think you could get 1500 for it as is. On the other hand, the parts market is depressed beyond belief right now. Tell you what, though, I like you, and I am willing to do you a favor. I'll take it off your hands for 500. I'll send you a check for 6,000 to cover shipping. Refund me the difference.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
Ocelot said:
You are delusional if you think you could get 1500 for it as is. On the other hand, the parts market is depressed beyond belief right now. Tell you what, though, I like you, and I am willing to do you a favor. I'll take it off your hands for 500. I'll send you a check for 6,000 to cover shipping. Refund me the difference.
How much does it cost to ship a bike to Nigeria these days? :snowlaff:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ocelot said:
i will only send to bolivia and 400 pesos is my absolute bottom line...

Really, am not looking to gouge anyone...it needs rubber a battery, and some cosmetic stuff but actually does run quite good. I really would hate to part it out and trip over sub-frames, get tangled up in a wiring harness, need to prop the suspension up with a broomstick, worry about safely boxing this stuff up and shipping it. i did ok on the last bike (ricer crap) but was a pain.
Am really looking to get enough to be in the black when i get another (used) dirt bike.

I will look at the links and see how to price it...it is an S, it is complete with low miles, but it aint for me (and my back).

Anyone in the D let me know if interested.

John Aldridge

·
Registered
153 Posts
pricing

Both the IBMWR and the MOA classifieds appear to be full of wise guys trolling for suckers. Sure, there's one born every minute, so I suppose a bike does sell there from time to time. But I'd never buy from there. To see what things are actually going for, go to Ebay motors, and search for completed listings. Much more realistic. Or try both kbb.com and nadaguides.com. Each will give you two prices. Average the four. I think you will find that your 1500 with a couple rubber and cosmetic issues is pretty realistic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
my 2cents: I would say $1500 would be a very low price, $2500 would be a very nice price, so it should go somewhere in between there. If you can wait until spring it should be easier to get closer to the higher price.

I would watch ebay and craig's list for a while to see what others are asking for the bike, also Cycle Trader dot com.

I echo the sentiment that it would be a shame to part out a perfectly fine working motorcycle.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
Ocelot said:
Both the IBMWR and the MOA classifieds appear to be full of wise guys trolling for suckers. Sure, there's one born every minute, so I suppose a bike does sell there from time to time. But I'd never buy from there. To see what things are actually going for, go to Ebay motors, and search for completed listings. Much more realistic. Or try both kbb.com and nadaguides.com. Each will give you two prices. Average the four. I think you will find that your 1500 with a couple rubber and cosmetic issues is pretty realistic.
Sure, there's some "optimistic" prices on IBMWR but there's also some realistic prices there too.

The MOA classified ads are a joke because only members see them. Kind of limits your potential market of buyers. :confused:

eBay prices are random as any auction would be.

KBB prices are generic and simply one point of reference since they don't take mileage and condition into account.

I could easily sell that K75S for $2,500. Wait a month or two and put it on eBay with a $2,500 Buy-it-Now and there's about a 90% chance it will sell at that price. (Provided you list it properly with a thorough description.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't tell him these things. :)
I am still trying to figure out where to get the $1500 bucks to offer him.....

Then there is the matter of getting it back the 1200+ miles to home as I am sure that the first 3/4 of the trip would be quite cold.

·
Registered
153 Posts

I generally buy a bike every year, fix it, and flip it. I like to wrench, you see. So I am not talking out of my hat. Here's what I go by:

I bought Ocelot last June after about a month and a half hunting. First I dickered with a guy in central Pennsylvania who had two K75RTs for sale on craigslist, had him down to 1200, but didn't trust him. Another one similarly priced in VA looked too rough to me. I was about to pull the trigger with a guy in NY state who had one for sale on craigslist asking 1500. Then I found Ocelot right here in town on craigslist asking IIRC 1800. Long parked, but cosmetically cherry, and set up just about the way I wanted, with low seat, high bars, minimum fairing, Corbin, and bags. Easy to retrieve, as opposed to towing my trailer behind my gas guzzler clear to NY. And I really trusted the old guy selling. So I over paid at 1500. New tires and new fuel pump and incidentals later, I was out about 2100. Could have gone cheaper if I wanted to adapt a car fuel pump, but didn't like the project so I sprang for the OEM at beemerboneyard. This original poster dbiker says his K75 only needs new rubber, runs fine. On the other hand, he's ready to part it out, so he may know something.

I doubt the market is all that much firmer now than it was last Spring. People are struggling to make ends meet. Yes, there's another one born every minute. Go find him if you can. The guys I know with bikes for sale have been posting re-posting and lowering their prices for too many moons. Guy I know selling a 2003 R1200CLC started at eight last May and is down to five grand last I saw. Next door neighbor has an R1200C been for sale for similar time. Down to four. Another R1200C in our MOA, guy thought he had it sold, it's back up for sale again, I forget the price, has dragged on for six months. A guy selling an R12RT has had his listed a year. Dunno price cause I don't like those.

Not talking about what things are worth. Not in the least. Talking about what they will fetch. Bricks in general don't fetch anywhere near what they should. Never have. An old wreck of an antiquated R75 will fetch more than a cherry K75. Go figure.

If it was me looking, I'd be patient, score one for 1500, throw in new tires and a couple bucks for surprises, and come out around two grand. You Betcha.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
I picked up a long neglected 42k 91 K75S last year for a grand off of Craig's List. Put in reconditioned injectors, waxed it, put a decent Corbin on it, some new Bridgestone Sptifires, farkled it up a bit and serviced it head to toe. Flipped it last May/June for $4,500.

The worst part was that I had to deliver it. Three days of wandering down The Cascades from Seattle to Sacramento. Oh, the horror.

I also flipped another one a year ago January and got my asking price on that one too.

There IS a demand for these bikes.

If you approach things with a negative attitude then you get a negative outcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
While I may be wrong, I do not believe that anyone who knows and loves these bikes really expects to get a fully functioning, needs nothing K-bike for under $2,000.
I am currently in the middle of re-habbing an 85 K100RT and by the time I am done it will be in REALLY good condition but my total for the project will be just under 4K.

·
Registered
153 Posts
a test is in order

Time for a real world test. I have a beemerista buddy presently mounted on an R100RT. Both I and another good friend of his have been after him to upgrade to a little brick. I think we may be making some traction here lately. I loaned him Ocelot several weeks back so he can get the scent in his nostrils. Assuming he decides to pull the trigger, I will help him locate one. Let's see what it costs for us to score one used K75RT with a few easily solved issues that can become his next daily rider. Bet you a beer at the next Klassic K Kampout that we come in at less than half your 4500. No, hang on, that would be a helf of a trek for a flying duck to ride from Seattle to the Blue Ridge Parkway (tho the BRP is well worth the ride). Tell you what, let's meet in the middle at the aptly named Little Brick Inn in KS, winner buys dinner. Google the place -- one of Guy Fietti's faves. My buddy is an iron butt rider and a wordsmith, so maybe I can talk him into riding an iron butt on his flying brick to meet the flying duck at the little brick. You in at the Inn?

Hey, there's nothing negative in any of that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
When buying my K100 i was looking for a decent condition one in the area of $2,000 to $2,500. I bought the first one for two grand (89k) the next one for $2,300 (55k). The K75 are a bit more sought after and slightly more expensive from my experience. But I needed a 2uper.

As much as I would like to, I think my gf would kill me if I bought your k75 for her... :not

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lukeman said:
When buying my K100 i was looking for a decent condition one in the area of $2,000 to $2,500. I bought the first one for two grand (89k) the next one for $2,300 (55k). The K75 are a bit more sought after and slightly more expensive from my experience. But I needed a 2uper.

As much as I would like to, I think my gf would kill me if I bought your k75 for her... :not
heh...i'm gonna make it even harder on ya...i can get it 1/2 way to dc on my dime.........sniff sniff

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, problem solved. Am gonna keep the old girl, do what I need to get'er running nice.
I don't have any $$ in it and I know that just a soon as it was sold our dismantled i'd regret no longer having a street bike.
I may have to put off the purchase of a dirt bike another season (and let my back heal)
Thanks all for the input and an looking to reading more as I get this thing on the road.

-John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts