BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from a ride on my 2004 GT after hitting a pothole and dinging my rear rim. The tolerance is so close between the rim and the rear swing arm that the two scraped together so I had to hammer back the ding just to stop the rubbing. It's not a big ding and maybe 2-3 inches along the circumference.

I'd prefer not to spend the $650 for a new rear if it's acceptable to have a wheel shop fully straighten it back out and smooth off the surface, but wondered what others would do in this situation.

Just to be clear, I won't like having to spend the $650 but if repairing a damaged rim is not the safe/right/authorized thing to do, I'll cough up.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Check your insurance, it should come under comprehensive, my be a deductible like a car windshield.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have just taken both front and rear wheels on my k1200s to be repaired as i went through a pothole with both wheels in the rain,i have repaired rims before and have never had any problems,much better than buying again,at least you can save some cash.

·
Registered
58 Posts
new or not

I had a ding in my front rim. In Holland (as in the Netherlands, Europe) there is a company that can and does repair a rim if possible, but they repair only if there are no cracks in the material. This means they X-ray the wheel before doing anything else. In my case it cost me a new rim. Maybe there is some company like this over there as well? you may find someone with companies that straighten frames.
If you want to be on the safe side: change the rim. There is a movie somewhere on the internet and dvd where Robert Dunlop goes through a village during the TT on the isle of Man. While riding with high speed his rear wheel comes apart: not a pretty sight - though he did survive the accident.

Frits van Straten

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Razel said:
But, you don't say where you took them to be repaired. How much?
I took them to a friend of mine that makes carbon fibre bicycle frames,so it would not be like i was taking them to a rim or wheel repair shop so i would not be able to give you a cost for the job.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
kralties said:
I took them to a friend of mine that makes carbon fibre bicycle frames,so it would not be like i was taking them to a rim or wheel repair shop so i would not be able to give you a cost for the job.
Ah...and Malta might be a bit far for shipping (and dealing with Customs). Missed the location earlier...

Google? There's a location in Georgia that repairs motorcycle wheels.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
150 Posts
Look Here

http://www.mcwheel.com/index.html

I've never used this guy, but have repaired a number of car wheels that have been ok. There is a guy in CA who does MC wheels too, but I can't recall his name.

I have 5.0 rear that has some scratches but is otherwise ok if you want something in the interim.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks..

...for the replies. Looks like I have options. My comprehensive is $250 and there's a place in Oakland, Pacific Rims, that repairs alloy wheels.

·
Registered
651 Posts
korbin_dallas said:
Just to be clear, I won't like having to spend the $650 but if repairing a damaged rim is not the safe/right/authorized thing to do, I'll cough up.
Thanks
Check out The Frame Man. It's in Sac, so for you it's not really all that far away.

Can't vouch for their work but it doesn't hurt to inquire, $600+ isn't exactly chump change. (the assumption, of course, being that it doesn't cost $600 to straighten out a wheel :p )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
State Farm response

Looks like it's either a repair or the full price. State Farm is saying that this is a collision not a comprehensive claim, and therefore my rates would be affected. As I have 3 bikes and 3 cars with them, a rate change is the last thing I need.

Thanks for the FrameMan referral. They seem a better fit than Pacific Rims.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've heard the www.mcwheel.com guy is the best. The local dealer in Atlanta refers out to him also and said the results have been excellent. I bent a rim a few months back and sprung for a new one, but next time will definitely send it off to mcwheel first for a crack at it.

By the way - if you want a new rim, Chicago BMW price was $480 after their discount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts