BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my K1300 for four years and while I wash it somewhat regularly, I just can't clean those tight spaces near the spokes on the wheels. Can someone recommend a product that is great for cleaning the wheels?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I havent washed my bike with water and soap for years.... and i‘ve got the worst wheel color there is for a K1200s

Yellow

I use the cheapest spray can furniture polish on the shelf. Not sure if Mr.Sheen is sold in the USA, but i guess any furniture polish will do.....

I spray the stuff on to everything, helmet visor, headlight, fairings wheels...... wait 10 minutes and the bugs will wipe off without scrubbing. Works also pretty good for the brake pad dirt on the rims, although if its really caked, two or three applications will be needed.....

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1 for the ‘mr sheen’. I keep it off uncoated plastics though. I don’t wet clean my bike either

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is what I use on my factory wheels. 2007 BMW K1200GT. Amazing results with almost zero rubbing. Spray on, rinse off after a minute or two.

EXTREME TIRE SHINE (SPRAY)
Our Most Extreme Wet, Black Shine! Trusted Armor All® Protection
Other products may call themselves a tire shine, but none can call itself Armor All! As a pioneer in protection and tire care, Armor All® understands how to keep your tires looking great — for the life of your car. Our proprietary “Shine-Shield” formula delivers intense, mirror-like shine and a rich, black look. Plus, it’s fortified with conditioners that protect and nourish your tires, preserving their natural beauty for the long term.
Extra gloss enhancers for intense, mirror-like shine
Conditions, nourishes, and preserves your tires’ rich black look
Protects from harmful elements that can cause cracking and fading

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Gents, RTFM, the OP asked about CLEANING the rims and showed us two pictures of the particular areas he's having trouble with (so am I). He's not asking about snake oil to put on his tires or how not to dry wash his bike, or use a corrosion inhibitor elsewhere.

For me, it's Elbow Grease (tm) plus soap, water and a toothbrush in the tight places. If some area (like the spoke/rim junctions pictured) needs more than that I grab an old Scotchbrite green pad that has lost most of its abrasiveness. When/after the rim is clean is the time for wheel wax, ACF50 or your particular choice of poison.

Mothers wheel cleaner is supposed to work well, also Eagle One, if you have either.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've used Simple Green and a wheel brush to clean mine. If you really want to get them clean, use a cleaner wax after the Simple Green.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks. I really appreciate the help. These areas have always been a pain in the rear for me. It would be nice to have them clean again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine are spotless. I show up at the local wash facility with some generic bike cleaning spray and a toilet brush to do the spaces in the wheels....

·
Registered
365 Posts
I show up at the local wash facility with some generic bike cleaning spray and a toilet brush to do the spaces in the wheels....
I use a back brush for the inside of the rims on my car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts