BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know who, but some where on here back when some one posted about putting their helmet through the dishwasher to clean it.

Well, whomever you were....a BIG THUMBS UP! KUDOS! :thumb: :thumb:

I tell you it's the best solution I've ever found. And couldn't be easier. I was skeptical but thought what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Talk about slicker than frog snot. Came out like brand new! I did remove the mirrored shield as I was worried about the detergent eating it up. But other than that just a regular cycle with no hot dry. Put it next to a fan over night and it couldn't be better. Right down to the bugs in the cracks and crevices and the soiled inner liners and pads.

Way cool, highly recommended. Thanks again to the suggestion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grifscoots said:
The dishwasher also works really great for cleaning motorcycle parts....



..... until you get caught.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Classic!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
helmet

What kind of soap???

Rusty


Robert_W said:
Don't know who, but some where on here back when some one posted about putting their helmet through the dishwasher to clean it.

Well, whomever you were....a BIG THUMBS UP! KUDOS! :thumb: :thumb:

I tell you it's the best solution I've ever found. And couldn't be easier. I was skeptical but thought what the hell, I'll give it a shot. Talk about slicker than frog snot. Came out like brand new! I did remove the mirrored shield as I was worried about the detergent eating it up. But other than that just a regular cycle with no hot dry. Put it next to a fan over night and it couldn't be better. Right down to the bugs in the cracks and crevices and the soiled inner liners and pads.

Way cool, highly recommended. Thanks again to the suggestion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just regular "Cascade".......however it does say "fresh scent" in smaller letters. My helmet can use all the help it can get!
 

·
Riding in company
Joined
·
292 Posts
grifscoots said:
The dishwasher also works really great for cleaning motorcycle parts....



..... until you get caught.
Man, if they only knew what's been in there and in the oven. :teeth :teeth
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,680 Posts
grifscoots said:
The dishwasher also works really great for cleaning motorcycle parts....
..... until you get caught.
I know someone who did that several decades ago. He turned off the hot water valve and heater to be safe. Then he poured a gallon of cleaning solvent into the dishwasher knowing that the pump would pick it up and spray it all over some Honda engine parts.

Idea worked pretty well except for the fact it made one big mess in the dishwasher which was easy to clean up with a bunch of subsequent washings. Hard part was explaining to mom why the rubber gasket had swelled up and stuck out beyond the edges and the peculiar smell.

The apartment manager fixed the unit, but never found out what did it.

Mack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
605 Posts
Lice get taken away in the disposal. :D

Did you use spot remover? :popcorn:


Are you sure the hot water didn't delaminate the glue holding the inside styrafoam to the shell...not sure if there is any but......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,271 Posts
i read in a magazine, i believe motorcyclist, to use woolite or similar products to clean the helmet. it did say you could dunk the whole helmet. Arai recommended that method for cleaning. the dishwasher thing was brought up, using cold water and only air dry. i wash my baseball hats in the dishwasher too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
New helmets advertise cleaning in the dishwasher.

When I bought my Shoie the shop said that the manufacture advertised cleaning it in the dishwasher with no heat drying cycle. I did it at the end of the year and it worked great. I went very light on the detergent and then just let it dry with a fan. I spray Fabreeze in it every once and a while and will dishwasher clean once a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
I just got out of the dog house, I liked the suggestions on the dishwasher so....

If I only had been using the dishwasher more often, she wouldn't of been so suspicious!!
 

·
Strafist
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
aj7840 said:
I just got out of the dog house, I liked the suggestions on the dishwasher so....

If I only had been using the dishwasher more often, she wouldn't of been so suspicious!!
My biggest problem is I don't know how to work her new dishwasher. Damn thang has more controls than the space shuttle. The washer and dryer are out of my league, too. Y'all reckon there's a reason for that?

At least the garden hose is still user friendly, sigh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
grifscoots said:
The dishwasher also works really great for cleaning motorcycle parts....



..... until you get caught.
Most excellent. We bought one of these for our cabin, wifey never did like it so its been sitting in the shed. Now its going in the garage. Its actually not a bad little unit......

http://www.haieramerica.com/en/product/HDP18PA

Thanks for the idea
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Robert_W said:
I did remove the mirrored shield as I was worried about the detergent eating it up.

Indeed it will.

I had one of these visors that was damaged one rainy day by whatever it was that splashed onto the visor.

Popped it in the dishwasher and 45 mins later, voila! a spare clear visor.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top