BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first what I consider long ride. I'm not sure if its the stock seat or my conditioning but I had a hard time staying very comfortable. I did 400 miles and really after 200 I was starting to get wore out. I know proper form for riding as per master yoda and it wasn't my back or my arms that were tired. It was mostly discomfort in my posterior section. Would a sergeant seat make some difference here? I am planning for a 850 mile one way ride to try out dragons tail, cherahola, and the blue ridge skyway and am just wondering if maybe I need an aftermarket seat or just more conditioning. Any ideas. Forgot to add I have an 03 GT.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an '04 RS. I found the seat on the RS was good for 150 miles then I squirmed a lot. I purchased a Sargent seat which I've had for about 2000 miles now. It is much better than the RS OEM but still unconfortable at 300 miles. So it's twice as good as the OEM but it's not my final seat destination.

Ron

·
Registered
408 Posts
Take a look at the Russell Day Long Seat - I put one on my GT and I love it. Did some 10 hour rides this summer and no problems. You can get it with heat as well as a driver backrest. It is not cheep, but it is worth it.

Attachments

·
Registered
528 Posts
trey55 said:
I just finished my first what I consider long ride. I'm not sure if its the stock seat or my conditioning but I had a hard time staying very comfortable. I did 400 miles and really after 200 I was starting to get wore out. I know proper form for riding as per master yoda and it wasn't my back or my arms that were tired. It was mostly discomfort in my posterior section. Would a sergeant seat make some difference here? I am planning for a 850 mile one way ride to try out dragons tail, cherahola, and the blue ridge skyway and am just wondering if maybe I need an aftermarket seat or just more conditioning. Any ideas. Forgot to add I have an 03 GT.
Many laugh at the wood beads but they work for me and cost eight bucks from Wal-Mart.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
easy solution

i too had this problem. the wood beads do the trick. the sargent seat helped, but i still may get a russell seat.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got a Sargent on my '01 RS and have no complaints about it. I've done a 12 hour day on it with minimal discomfort.

Maybe the problems not the seat, maybe you need some more padding. I'll have my gf send you her eating plan to help you out in that area! (hope she doesn't see this!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wear padded bicycle under-shorts on rides exceeding 2 hours. They make a significant difference and prevent posterior pain. I can now ride all day without any problems. Suggest you give them a try before purchasing a new seat.-Al

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alan Brothers said:
I wear padded bicycle under-shorts on rides exceeding 2 hours. They make a significant difference and prevent posterior pain. I can now ride all day without any problems. Suggest you give them a try before purchasing a new seat.-Al

Yes, the bicycle shorts work. In cold weather I wear fleece lined knickers [bike shorts that cover the knees too] and stay comfortable and warm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the long run

I purchased a beaded seat at Lima Ohio and then spent 9 hrs riding back to Pa.
Guess what? It works fabulous for thisK1200rs rider. $16.00 total

·
Registered
16 Posts
Alan Brothers said:
Agreed - You might want to try some other options before replacing the seat. I just did my first "long" ride over the Christmas holidays - 360 miles each way to LA and back. I noticed some "posterior issues" after about 250 miles. For my next longer rides I'm going to try out my new Alaska Leather buttpad which I got for Christmas. I'm hoping that that, combined with the bum padding in my FirstGear HT overpants, will allow a longer period of comfort. And the combination will allow functionality of the heated seat, as necessary.

Tom

·
Registered
65 Posts
trey55 said:
You didn't mention how often you stopped. I regularly do 600+ mile days on my GT, but this is after five years on a sports tourer ('02 Connie, '03 KRS, '04 GT). I find that I can ride as long as there's sunlight if I take a five minute break every 100-150 miles. Other tips include keep yourself hydrated (ie camelbak), remove anything from pants pockets that you sit on, ride in pants that have no stitching in the contact area, and look at a sheepskin pad from www.alaskaleather.com ($50).

I have gone the route of aftermarket seats (Corbin, Rick Mayer) and found that they were better but only marginally better. My GT has the factory comfort seat, and it's fine for me. IMHO, most of it is you adjusting to your ride rather trying to adjust the bike to you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Try a system approach

Trey, I have a 2003RS and this last July I did 8700 miles. I have the bmw confort seat. At times I found the seat to be uncomfortable but it was not always due to the seat. In some cases it was due to what undergarments I was wearing. Bike shorts with no seams helped. Other times monkey butt powder helped. And finally I replaced by alaska sheepskin with the wooden beads and that became a more permenent solution.

A little bit of backside heat can cause extra wetness on the backside which after a while gets uncomfortable. Try looking at the solution to your issue as a total system. Think about what you are wearing, what is the weather, is the distance between the seat and the pegs correct, etc.

Howard

·
Registered
186 Posts
hmeiseles said:
... Other times monkey butt powder helped....
What's monkey butt powder?:confused:

·
Registered
25 Posts
GilaMonster said:
You didn't mention how often you stopped. I regularly do 600+ mile days on my GT, but this is after five years on a sports tourer ('02 Connie, '03 KRS, '04 GT). I find that I can ride as long as there's sunlight if I take a five minute break every 100-150 miles. Other tips include keep yourself hydrated (ie camelbak), remove anything from pants pockets that you sit on, ride in pants that have no stitching in the contact area, and look at a sheepskin pad from www.alaskaleather.com ($50).

I have gone the route of aftermarket seats (Corbin, Rick Mayer) and found that they were better but only marginally better. My GT has the factory comfort seat, and it's fine for me. IMHO, most of it is you adjusting to your ride rather trying to adjust the bike to you.
What GilaMonster said. Just ride it. You'll get used to it and wonder why everyone else complains about the stock seat. The more you ride it and the more often...the better it will feel. BMW isn't known for having the best seats in the business but the K12 RS & especially the GT are exceptions in my opinion. That's 70,000+ miles on the stock K12 RS seat. Just ride it.

Jim

·
Registered
828 Posts
custom seats, beads, sheepskin - all the same

GilaMonster said:

Exactly,

My pops has tried every type of seat and after a couple long distance rally's with riders with every range of seat accessory... After the trip was done we all had sore butts. Get on your bike and ride, which is the best solution. Just keep your butt in a constant state of pain, then the fell becomes unnoticable/natural.

ONON-
Mark

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Comfort seat, bicycle shorts, and last years sunscreen (the PF drops off after a year, and as light-skinned as I am, I need all the PF I can get) Put the sunscreen on before the bicycle shorts where ever you think your body is going to contact the seat. I've only need one application a day (in the morning after the shower).
Then, when you get gas for the bike, take a 15 minute break to get some water, get rid of the old water (you can only rent it, you know...) and stretch your legs a bit before hopping on for the next 180 or so miles.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have to go with what the other's have said. Namely try different things! What works for one may not help another.

I'll also add my "me too" regarding the need to get used to the bike and build up to long rides. Earlier last year (shortly after I got the bike) I found that after hours in the saddle my legs began to bother me. I found I could solve that by taking a brisk walk at a stop - enough to raise my heart rate. Last week of December I rode from Chicago to near Mobile with a buddy who rode his GS. We did back to back 500 mile days on the way back and I found I don't need to do that any more. I have (as near as I can tell) the factory comfort seat and use a fleece pad (Alaska Leather.) My buddy had a $500 custom seat that is less comfortable than the one it replaced. He's a true LD rider and is looking to get that resolved and I'm happy to make just 5 or 6 hundred miles in a day. ;)

-hank

·
Registered
68 Posts
Razel said:
Comfort seat, bicycle shorts, and last years sunscreen (the PF drops off after a year, and as light-skinned as I am, I need all the PF I can get) Put the sunscreen on before the bicycle shorts where ever you think your body is going to contact the seat. I've only need one application a day (in the morning after the shower).
Then, when you get gas for the bike, take a 15 minute break to get some water, get rid of the old water (you can only rent it, you know...) and stretch your legs a bit before hopping on for the next 180 or so miles.
Yep I second that. Ray and I were on the bike pretty much the whole day long for 10 days. I have the comfort seat, that is it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use mountainbiking spandex/seemless undergarments with a fleece insert. Baby powder helps "Jim and the Twins" stay cool and dry. On long days I make sure the pegs are low and the seat is set on high position. This takes some angle out of your knee joint by opening up the angle a few degrees. DO NOT LET YOUR BUTT AREA SWEAT. Keep cool. Once your ride with hot moist shorts, Monkeybutt will rear it's ugly head. Change your seat pressure points often. I place my bootee' back against the seat step for a while, then I'll slide forward a bit to change my lower back angle. Little adjustments. I find if I stay still too long, I sink into the lower seat tank area and stiffen up my lower back leaning on my arms. Move around and takes a good digital camera. My stops are planned around "Vista Points". I'll take a few pics. Walk around, and mount up and go. The stops are around half to 2/3 into a tank. Then I'll mount up and blast to the next gas fill up. Gas up and ride another 100 and more pics. I like to take pics. I ride fast, but I'm not in a hurry. I'm riding and happy. Some days are 300 and some are 650. Enjoy the ride. :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts