BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did some of my own maint for the first time with the help of a R bike owner. While changing the rear brake pad had a hell of a time getting the caliper out of the wheel. ( I did finally take the wheel off to finish this project but for now just go with me). So I took the caliper apart not knowing that brake fluid was loose between these two parts. Of course I got brake fluid all over the paint (no damage got it cleaned quick enough) and the floor. I got that put back together and the pads changed. Then I put everything back on the bike. When at speed if I use the rear brake pedal now I just don't get much braking. I know I won't feel a lot but I just don't think im getting as much as I should. I have no warning lights on and my rear brake does work but should I bleed to ensure there is no air in there? Thanks for the help in advance. Forgot to add I have an 03 GT.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
I've not noticed the rear brakes supplying much braking power, but tell you what...go about 25 MPH down a quiet industrial road, and gradually press the rear pedal harder and harder to stop, until you feel the ABS kick in. If it doesn't, then I'd go to brake bleeding proceedure for EVO brakes to bleed the brakes yourself (it's complicated...) or visit your friendly BMW dealer and ask to have the brake fluid changed (it's an annual thing, so it may be due anyway).

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just did the annual

Razel thanks for the check I will try it tommorrow. I just had my annual done about two months ago and I really hate taking my bike to dealer. No one loves her as much as me. I am still taking it for the things i'm too scared to try but that should dwindle more and more as time goes by. Are there procedures somewhere on the site for evo brake bleeding?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
trey55 said:
Razel thanks for the check I will try it tommorrow. I just had my annual done about two months ago and I really hate taking my bike to dealer. No one loves her as much as me. I am still taking it for the things i'm too scared to try but that should dwindle more and more as time goes by. Are there procedures somewhere on the site for evo brake bleeding?
Sure. The link I posted above, and here should be plenty of reading. You might just want to bleed the rear caliper, which should be easy to do, just be absolutely sure not to run the rear reservoir out of fluid. The pump can drain the reservoirs pretty damned fast.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
522 Posts
rear brake

I don't know if you want to hear this or not, but I think i can remember changing rear pads without removing the caliper. You just unbolt the caliper and pinch the rotor in and out with the caliper to retract the pads all of the way. Bolt the caliper back up, remove the pins and the clip. Slide the old pads up and out and replace with the new ones. Replace clip and pins and you're in business.

If you lost fluid at the piston, you probably took air into the system. Depending on your skill level, you could bleed the system yourself, or as Mr. Wizzard suggests: Have your local dealer gouge you, I mean, do it for you.

I do my own linked brakes, but it is a bit tricky and you will need a few special items.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
changing pads w/o removing calipers

I had heard that this could be done but the person I was working on it with was against trying it. I can see that it would be very difficult to get everything back together that way. I had a hell of time with the caliper off. Next time I will try to do it in place. I think from the reading (thanks wizzard) that I should just be able to squeeze on the rear brake slowly crack open the bleed screw wait a sec and then close the bleed screw, let off the brake and add fluid. Rinse and repeat a few times and be in good shape if I read correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts