BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the fairing addtions on the GT make any improvments to weather protection or stability?

thanks

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I prefer the higher GT bars on my KRS, unfortunately that now puts my hands in the wind. I think If I had the GT front plastic and the GT bars, that would have been a better match.

Although these bikes are supposed to be 'adjustable', when it comes down to it, adjustment on a model can be limited by other design constraints so I think when BMW do new design work on the plastics, you do get something that might work together in tune.

I'm not sure about stability. More plastic area up front probably means some more drag, like putting on a larger screen and sidewinds might me a bit more twitchy. But hey, stick saddle bags on the bike and you're going to be more aware in how you ride.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I can tell you that the handguards added to the fairing help reduce the wind to your fingers and hands. I usually remove mine during hot weather to increase airflow. I don't remove the leg guards since they would leave holes in the fairing, but the extra airflow I would get with those removed in the heat would be nice also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
davidk63 said:
I can tell you that the handguards added to the fairing help reduce the wind to your fingers and hands. I usually remove mine during hot weather to increase airflow. I don't remove the leg guards since they would leave holes in the fairing, but the extra airflow I would get with those removed in the heat would be nice also.
HEAT!!! whats that????

I Live in Scotland matey :D so basically the bikes perfect for this country :teeth

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
GT add ons

I have the GT windscreen, hand guards, and the fairing mounted leg protectors on my RS and they all make a great difference. I rode the bike before the add-ons and once installed they will not come off. Some don't like the hand guards in the warm months but just wait until you're in a light rain or constant fog-like situation. Not to mention the golf-ball size beatles we get here in North Carolina or truck stones smacking your knuckles without them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
davidk63 said:
I do the same thing. In summer, I install the short windshield and remove the handguards. In the winter I put the tall windshield on and put the handgaurds back on. With them on, my hands are protected from wind and rain better. In the summer, I prefer to have my hands cooler. Riding characteristics don't seem to change much, unlike the windshield differences which are huge. I really like the short windshield and having my helmet in clean air. With the tall one, my head gets buffeted around pretty good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can't say since I already own an '04 GT but coming from an R1200RST and before that a K75s the protection provided is more than adequate. I had hand guards on the other bikes and never took them off, just figured that I had gloves on anyway, what the hell?? :teeth

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Popeye said:
I do the same thing. In summer, I install the short windshield and remove the handguards. In the winter I put the tall windshield on and put the handgaurds back on. With them on, my hands are protected from wind and rain better. In the summer, I prefer to have my hands cooler. Riding characteristics don't seem to change much, unlike the windshield differences which are huge. I really like the short windshield and having my helmet in clean air. With the tall one, my head gets buffeted around pretty good.
Popeye
If you are shorter than 5'10", a Laminar Lip might be the answer to the buffeting with the tall windscreen that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I put the handguards and GT windshield on my 04 KRS for the winter. The handguards do help deflect the wind. The GT windshield, in the lower position, does cause some helmet buffetting for me (5'8").

1 - 10 of 10 Posts