BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to ride the K in the city at rush hours (here is all the time haha) and found it incomfortable. Gearbox is not well suited for the city, at what rpm you change up? Also at 25C outside temperature engine became too hot and the air from the fan was burning my right leg. What is your experience with the K in crowded cities with permanent traffic jams?

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
I hate to ride in the city. Though feel no heat from the engine in Airflow3 suit and boots.
Prefer to change gears between 4000 and 6000 rpm.
Moscow is one endless jam with tight lanes - even filtering between them is not easy this year as the new lane marks were made tighter.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
25C is hot? :wtf:

Try it in 40C. If you wear some knee-high cycle socks, then the GT isn't too bad. If you really want to suffer, try it on the Honda, Kawasaki, or Yami. Ugh!

Might want to look into one of those phase-change vests when it's 35-40C. Makes it bunch more tolerable. Forget the Poly-crystal or fabric vests. Too damp and clammy.

Personally, anything above 35C sucks on a bike - but 25C? That's just a little above the perfect 23C for full gear.

Mack

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GMack said:
25C is hot? :wtf:

Try it in 40C. If you wear some knee-high cycle socks, then the GT isn't too bad. If you really want to suffer, try it on the Honda, Kawasaki, or Yami. Ugh!

Might want to look into one of those phase-change vests when it's 35-40C. Makes it bunch more tolerable. Forget the Poly-crystal or fabric vests. Too damp and clammy.

Personally, anything above 35C sucks on a bike - but 25C? That's just a little above the perfect 23C for full gear.

Mack
i have the phase change jacket, my gf also has the pants. you say it also works when hot? we only use them when cold.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
easyman05 said:
I hate to ride in the city. Though feel no heat from the engine in Airflow3 suit and boots.
Prefer to change gears between 4000 and 6000 rpm.
Moscow is one endless jam with tight lanes - even filtering between them is not easy this year as the new lane marks were made tighter.
also use airflow suit and boots but today only took the airflow jacket and kevlar jeans + regular shoes.

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Gears

Doru-in-Romania said:
Had to ride the K in the city at rush hours...
I live in the SF bay area and ride pretty regularly in traffic. I haven't really found it to be that unpleasant. The worst thing is the bike is big and long, which makes lane splitting (filtering) harder than it would be e.g. on my wife's Honda Hawk (which is a much better bike for city traffic, I used to ride that all the time when I lived in San Francisco)

I'm usually in 1st gear and pretty active with the clutch when splitting on city streets. We have wide freeways here and bikes can use the carpool lanes, so I don't have to split that often on the big roads, but when I do the GT is fine, I'm usually doing about 25mph and in 1st or 2nd gear.

I actually spend a lot of time in 1st and 2nd. There are some great windy roads around here (going up Mt Hamilton for example) where there's no reason to get out of 2nd. Same for city streets, if the speed limit is 25mph I'm probably doing 30 in 2nd gear.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drive rush hour every day, the GT is narrower than my C1 :) . I am mostly in second or third, it pulls smoothly in 6th from 40km/h. Heat not a problem, RT was much hotter. Have driven in 43 degrees celsius. Mid town rush hour is often over 30.
The only thing that gets hot is my head in the helmet.
I very seldom hear the fan come on, temp gauge never more than 50%

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
William-K1200 said:
Maybe you should look into getting a BMW Airflow helmet?

·
I'm riding
1,339 Posts
William-K1200 said:
I drive rush hour every day, the GT is narrower than my C1 :) . I am mostly in second or third, it pulls smoothly in 6th from 40km/h. Heat not a problem, RT was much hotter. Have driven in 43 degrees celsius. Mid town rush hour is often over 30.
I very seldom hear the fan come on, temp gauge never more than 50%
Sorry for OFF:

I am thinking about spending two weeks in South Africa end of November on BMW bikes. It's kind of a guided enduro tour on rented GSs. Is it the right time to come there?
Any special places worth a visit?
TIA

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
I ride into the Big Apple(New York City) often. My local BMW delaer is located in Manhattan, just off a highway, so it isn't too bad. Riding in the city is not really fun. When I do, it just heavy traffic for a longer period of time. My fan goes on very often due to the stop and go all the time.
In suburbia, traffic is only heavy on the streets and highways during the morning and evening rush hours, so i avoid them unless it is necessary.
Fortunately, I ride most country roads after a quick 40 miles of the supe slab. There are some great twisties and hills just a few miles from New York.
City driving sucks!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
"Do you ride the K in crowded cities?"

Are there any un-crowded cities? :confused:

I had a herd of Elk cross the road in front of me yesterday....does that count? :D

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Ride everyday into Washington, DC, second worst traffic in US. Temp range from 20 <http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=106512#
Snowman> Laugh to 100 F <http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=106512#
Boom>, with 80% humidity in summer. Keep it in first most of the time, good for quick scoots to open spots or stop and go. Takes about 30 minutes to go the last 5 miles. I love the GT over the prior RT. Fan runs off and on around the 50% temp range. Lucky that coming home is 5 miles of hell then 30 miles of hi speed and twisties.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Doru-in-Romania said:
Had to ride the K in the city at rush hours (here is all the time haha) and found it incomfortable. Gearbox is not well suited for the city, at what rpm you change up? Also at 25C outside temperature engine became too hot and the air from the fan was burning my right leg. What is your experience with the K in crowded cities with permanent traffic jams?
I live in the L.A. area, arguably the worst traffic in the country (worse than Terry's Washington D.C.).

The right ankle can get a little warm, but I don't notice it much with a boot on. The K1200GT is the coolest running motorcycle, overall, of any that I have ridden. Any of my other choices would have been hotter - it's why I through out the Honda ST1300 early in my search process.

RPMs for changing gears depends on the flow of traffic. When caught behind a slow car, I change gears at around 3,000-3,500 RPMs. In the open, the shift point may be closer to 5,000 or even 6,000 RPMs. The 1st gear to 2nd gear change is tricky. It can be clunky, and matching RPMs for the second isn't always perfect, which leads to a bit of jerkiness. I am getting better at it, and the airbox fix and software update helped. There is still some "buckiness" in first or second gear at low RPMs.

In California, we're allowed to split lanes (filter). This helps a lot in traffic. At traffic signals, I can go between the cars to the front. When the light turns from red to green, I am away from the traffic.

The K1200GT is too big for an urban motorcycle, but I like its power and versatility too much, and I don't want to own more than one motorcycle.

One thing that helps me a lot in urban traffic is to remove the side cases (panniers) and use the large 49 liter top case. With the side cases removed, the widest part of the motorcycle is from mirror to mirror. The mirrors are ideally positioned to sight and align the fit for lane splitting purposes.

(The mirror position is one reason why I chose the K1200GT over the R1200RT.)

·
Would rather be riding
537 Posts
Mirrors...

XMagnaRider said:
The mirrors are ideally positioned to sight and align the fit for lane splitting purposes.
Heh, ideally positioned. ...often right at the same level as the mirrors of the big SUVs and pickups that crowd you. I've smacked mirrors while filtering -- good thing they can't catch you! :eek:

·
Registered
353 Posts
City streets and splitting freeway lanes all the time in SF Bay Area. GT is really comfortable, especially compared to my previous ride, K12LT.

I wish there was a way to adjust the windshield completely out of the way when it gets warmer, with an evaporative vest connected to a pump run by the ZFE. :nerd:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Robert_W said:
"Do you ride the K in crowded cities?"

Are there any un-crowded cities? :confused:

I had a herd of Elk cross the road in front of me yesterday....does that count? :D
Robert,
You don't want to smack one of those things. That's as bad as dodging the blue hairs!
Be careful out there!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
bonafidebob said:
Heh, ideally positioned. ...often right at the same level as the mirrors of the big SUVs and pickups that crowd you. I've smacked mirrors while filtering -- good thing they can't catch you! :eek:
You've got a point. If the traffic is stopped, you can sometimes stop behind the SUV's mirrors, and then wiggle your KGT's mirrors around them without touching. What I meant was that you can keep your eyes and head up, paying attention to the objects around you - the high mirrors help you judge your space.

A couple weeks ago, I was riding down the freeway, on my way to the BMW dealer to get the airbox upgrade. I was trailing behind a Honda Gold Wing. Gold Wings look huge to me; I don't know how anyone can ride one and feel comfortable splitting lanes. The GW was moving way too fast, and was bonking mirrors on both sides as he passed. The scene reminded me an olympic bobsled bouncing off the walls left and right. At least the GW created a nice wide gap for me to follow. :ricky

1 - 20 of 42 Posts